The Superstars: ABC Bumps Finale Episode for Bachelorette Rerun

The SuperstarsWhile ABC’s Superstars competition hasn’t been performing well in the ratings, the show has been attracting an average of more than three million viewers each week. The millions who turned in to see the finale last night got quite a surprise.

The Superstars teams celebrities with professional athletes and pits them against other pairs in a series of competitions. One duo of players is eliminated each week.

The eight celebs are David Charvet, Maksim Chmerkovskiy, Dan Cortese, Paige Hemmis, Julio Iglesias Jr., Joanna Krupa, Ali Landry and Estella Warren. The athlete participants are Jennifer Capriati, Brandi Chastain, Robert Horry, Jeff Kent, Kristi Leskinen, Lisa Leslie, Bode Miller and Terrell Owens.

The show’s ratings for this season started off at just 4.27 million viewers with a 1.5/5 rating/share in the 18-49 demographic. The numbers have fallen from there and last week hit a low of 3.15 million and a 1.0/3 in the demo. With numbers like these, ABC has no reason to renew it for a second season.

That being said, there are still millions of people who expected to see the finale last night. Because of the low ratings, ABC opted to preempt Superstars and instead run a repeat of the previous night’s The Bachelorette season finale.

The 90-minute finale of Superstars is now scheduled to run next Tuesday, August 4th, at 8pm. Will you be watching? Who do you think will win?

Anonymous August 18, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Good Im glad the bachelorette got bumped. When you can watch real people win something and not take home someone you don’t know that well. Superstars remind me of battle of the network stars when abc first had it back in the 70’s.

Mary August 15, 2009 at 10:23 pm

Sure…….keep the crap on with few viewers but get rid of Kyle XY, a family show! How pathetic is AMC getting? Apparently they are keeping the less tasteful shows….the ones Obama likes!!!!

linda August 5, 2009 at 6:27 am

whose bright idea was it to run the bachelorette again instead of the superstars finale? the light bulb must have gone off!

Julia August 4, 2009 at 6:31 am

I’m so excited for tonight! I really think Paige & Bode are going to win… I love Maks but I don’t think they can pull off the obstacle course

Frustrated August 3, 2009 at 9:11 pm

I was so frustrated when the finale didn’t aire. I was actually freaking out. This is the only show my husband and I have ever watched together, so I was ticked. We actually had started telling everyone we knew they needed to watch it. Even though it isn’t the best show I’ve ever seen, it was still extremely entertaining!

Aidan August 3, 2009 at 2:27 pm

I can’t believe ABC switched the Bachelorette for The Superstars. I think that the Superstars is a really good show. I would give it a 4.5/5. Give it another season. It intertains millions of people.

(Maks and Kristi rock!!!!)

Donna August 3, 2009 at 10:07 am

My family and I were really disappointed and aggravated that we were not given some kind of notice that the finale of Superstars would be aired at a later date. We thought the finale might have aired on another night or time, or was delayed till the next week. When our local paper T.V. guide didn’t show it being aired the following week we were quite upset. We are really glad we found this site and will see the finale this week. I hope in the future you will run a message if you bump or dump a show, it will alleviate the stress. Just one comment on the show: It was a real eye opener how many (so called adults) are such bad sports.

Carole August 3, 2009 at 6:07 am

I was very upset not to see the finale; I had been waiting all week. I’m rooting for Mak (who I watch on Dancing with the stars) and Kristi.

Carole

Annne Wallace August 2, 2009 at 12:27 pm

I was very upset to have the finale of the Superstars replaced with with the Bachelorette. I had watched that show the previous night and did not need a repeat.
My vote goes to Maks & Kristi.

Judith August 1, 2009 at 10:23 pm

Having watched every episode of The Superstars, I was really angry to tune in for the finale and find The Bachelorette instead! It was a very, VERY bad move for ABC to make the switch. I loathe The Bachelor / Bachelorette and their tacky morals — kissing many different partners and even spending the night with one or more of the contestants before a final decision is made. EEW!!! What kind of example is THAT? Bring back The Superstars — at least let us see the finale! (Go Maks & Kristi!)