The Superstars: ABC Bumps Finale Episode for Bachelorette Rerun

The SuperstarsWhile ABC’s Superstars competition hasn’t been performing well in the ratings, the show has been attracting an average of more than three million viewers each week. The millions who turned in to see the finale last night got quite a surprise.

The Superstars teams celebrities with professional athletes and pits them against other pairs in a series of competitions. One duo of players is eliminated each week.

The eight celebs are David Charvet, Maksim Chmerkovskiy, Dan Cortese, Paige Hemmis, Julio Iglesias Jr., Joanna Krupa, Ali Landry and Estella Warren. The athlete participants are Jennifer Capriati, Brandi Chastain, Robert Horry, Jeff Kent, Kristi Leskinen, Lisa Leslie, Bode Miller and Terrell Owens.

The show’s ratings for this season started off at just 4.27 million viewers with a 1.5/5 rating/share in the 18-49 demographic. The numbers have fallen from there and last week hit a low of 3.15 million and a 1.0/3 in the demo. With numbers like these, ABC has no reason to renew it for a second season.

That being said, there are still millions of people who expected to see the finale last night. Because of the low ratings, ABC opted to preempt Superstars and instead run a repeat of the previous night’s The Bachelorette season finale.

The 90-minute finale of Superstars is now scheduled to run next Tuesday, August 4th, at 8pm. Will you be watching? Who do you think will win?

Canceled and renewed TV show

41 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Disappointed says

I was so disappointed last night to find Bachelorette on instead of Superstars. And then to find out it was a REPEAT! What’s wrong with ABC — and America for putting up with them? Guess I was one of the measly 3 million who thought that this reality show actually had something to offer. I’ve enjoyed the athletes and the celebs, as well as the location and good, clean competition. Come on, ABC, give ’em another chance!

2. Carolyn says

who wants to watch the Bachelorette two nights in a row. Pretty stupid abc. even if the Superstars were not getting the numbers you wanted it still would have been watched by more people than watched your silly reshowing of The Bachelorette.

3. robycop3 says

I don’t watch those trashy dating-relationship shows period, but if I were a suit at a major net, I woulda saved a replay of the Bachelorette finale for an AVVOUNCED replacement for a cancelled show. As it is, there’s a different viewership for ‘Superstars’ than there is for ‘Bachelorette’, & it’s apparent that viewers expecting to see the SS finale tuned out in droves. Batch drew far fewer viewers than the SS finale would have.

Those suits KNOW that this type of reality show doesn’t do well in reruns anyway, so why throw it away as they did? If they chooseta air Batch again, they’ll be lucky to have 2.5 million viewers, while, if they’d ANNOUNCED a rerun airing, they woulda prolly had over 5 million viewers.
    Since SS is most likely history, why not air the finale at its announced time & be done with it?

4. Marie says

First the canceling of Samantha Who? and now pulling this stunt….I doubt I will be watching ABC much more ever, no matter how good the show looks. They cancel everything without giving it a chance and keep some of the dumbest garbage on the air in its place.

5. Danny says

While not achieving the level of stupidity of The Heidi Game (in Nov. 1968, with 65 seconds left of the AFL game between the Jets and the Raiders, with the Jets poised to win, NBC decided to drop the game to start its evening feature, the movie Heidi; as the movie started, the Raiders scored 14 points and went on the win…) ABC’s decision to drop the scheduled finale of the “Superstars Finale” for a rerun of the sleazy “Bachelorette,” is right up there in the pantheon of bad programming decisions. ABC demonstrates incredibly bad faith and total disregard for loyal viewers.

6. Duh says

Dumped Superstars for Bachelorette????? I read it was even a re-run, couldn’t tell you cause I don’t watch that crap! Yes I will watch the finale (should have watched it last night) I said from week one, that Maks was more of an athlete than celebrity, I think he and his pard will dominate.

7. No Brainer says

Of all the episodes to bump, why the finale?! The original series in the 70’s was much better and a retooling of this reincarnation could take many pages from that book. Why does every reality show have to have an elimination round? Just give us different athletes each week competing and it’ll definitely do better.

8. Anonymous says

Are you kidding me…. The bachelorette as subsitute for the finale of the superstars… who watches that crap anyway. I remember the original Superstars back in the early 80’s when everyone was an athlete. That was an amazing competition. Although this isnt to the caliber as the original, it is still a good show. Would someone please tell the networks to stop with the reality show stupidity. Now you get to watch fat people finding love. I mean come on… have we sunk so low that we will watch that crap…..

9. Anonymous says

I think that Kristi and Maks will dominate. To be quite honest, Kristi is an incredible athlete in her own right and I don’t think Maks is carrying the team. They are equally doing a great job and Kristi has pulled Maks out a few times! I think Bode and Paige will come in second and Lisa and David (press *****) will take 3rd. Could be an interesting turn of events!?!?

10. cindy says

Yes, I do agree that Maksim is an amazing athlete and the combo with his partner is incredible and will be pretty impossible to beat. But I still will root for Bode!

11. Anonymous says

Ditto. How disappointing to see the show preempted by this atrocious dribble of a woman slutting herself to a bunch of men at the same time.

12. Lola says

This one is going to be won by Maksim and partner, no contest. i knew that from the beginning. That team had a huge advantage with Maks being cast as the celebrity. As far as I am concerned dancing is a sport. i looked up sport in the dictionary and dancing fits the definition. You either win or lose, you play by a set of rules. It is an activity that requires a lot of stamina. He even mentioned in an interview that dancers are athletes. If you know maks from DWTS you know how competitive he is. They had an unfair advantage, he “the celeb” is carrying the team. Bode will probably come in number 2, but Maks is unstoppable now.

13. Cindy says

I had DVRed the finale — I thought! I totally freaked, thinking I had mis-recorded. YES, I will watch next week! I am rooting for Bode and Paige — Bode is the world’s sexiest man and a fabulous athlete.

14. Anonymous says

I spent 4-5 weeks watching the show. Then the rug gets pulled out from underneath me for the finale. I was very disappointed. Shame on you ABC.

15. says

My husband and I are avid fans of the show and could not wait to see the Finale.
    If you had to re-run a show why in heavens name did you put The Bachelorette?????
    What a dissapointment.