The Tudors: Showtime Series Ending After Year Four, No Season Five

The TudorsThere’s good news and bad news for fans of The Tudors TV series. Showtime has announced that they’re renewing it for a fourth season but it will be the historically-based show’s last.

The Tudors is a fictional version of the reign of the King of England during the 1500’s, King Henry VIII (Jonathan Rhys Meyers). Other historical players include Henry Cavill, Natalie Dormer, Nick Dunning, James Frain, Maria Doyle Kennedy, Padraic Delaney, Jeremy Northam, Jamie Thomas King, Anthony Brophy, Guy Carleton, John Kavanagh, Sam Neill, Callum Blue, Henry Czerny, Hans Matheson, David Alpay, Joe Van Moyland, Bosco Hogan, James Gilbert, Alan Van Sprang, and Peter O’Toole.

When the show debuted on April 1, 2007 to 870,000 viewers, it was reportedly Showtime’s best premiere in three years. The series has held onto those numbers pretty well, attracting 726,000 for its third season premiere last week. The series has also been well-reviewed but it is an expensive epic to produce.

Are you sorry Tudors is ending?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The first two seasons totaled 20 episodes while season three will have only eight. Series creator and executive producer Michael Hirst explained to reporters in January that the reason was “The collapse of the dollar.” At the time, Hirst said that he and the other producers were hoping to be able to make the fourth season a full 10 episode season and apparently they’ve been successful.

The fourth and final season of Tudors will revolve around Henry’s final descent into madness as well as his tumultuous relationships with his last two wives, Catherine Howard and Catherine Parr. Production is expected to begin in June in Dublin, Ireland but viewers of the period drama will have to wait until Spring 2010 to see them.

Robert Greenblatt, Showtime’s President of Entertainment, said, “I’m thrilled to complete the saga of Henry VIII as reconceived by Michael Hirst. He and Jonathan Rhys Meyers have breathed new life into the costume drama by making it both modern in sensibility but also faithful to history. I think we proved that even after 500 years this is a great story.”

By the end of the series’ run, Hirst will have single-handedly written all 38 episodes. Though the events of Henry’s life are part of the history books, it’ll be interesting to see how Hirst, with his unique take on the saga, brings it to a close.

Canceled and renewed TV show

75 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Brian says

bah, i love the Tuders and now its done… i love the show Rome, its been done(i know its HBO) TrueBlood also awesome, time to end it too….lets see what other show do i like so someone can end them too. why cant they stop worthless shows like MTV ( yes the hole channle is worthless) oh yeah that right there only intrested in ending shows i like. **** tv

2. says

I love love this show!!! We watch everyday on demand we are soo hooked! I am very sad that it is ending:( Jonathan Meyers I am in Love with he is a great actor!!!

3. ian says

The Tudors prompted me to travel to the UK last year, visiting Hampton Court. The producers could do an eight show season five with James and Mary. The final season would be with Elizabeth. I have kept Showtime solely for the Tudors. When it ends, I too shall cancel my subscription.

4. Deborah says

Like the other poster said, this is the “Tudors” not
    Henry VIII.
    I not only enjoy this series but I have learned a great
    deal of history wilst watching.
    I was introduced to this series 2 weeks ago and
    have watched EVERY episode ( season 1-4) within
    that time.
    Please rethink your decision to abort this wonderous
    adventure. Many of those who watch long for history
    to be told not in books but with the imagery you
    produce.

5. Emma X says

-.- Can’t believe they’re ending it – the show is after all called “The Tudors” and not Henry VIII – so why end it with only having shown a part of the Tudors reign? I was so looking forward to seeing the reigns of Edward VI and then Elizabeth I. :(

6. says

I can not believe they are ending the best show in t.v. history. The tudors is the only reason i have showtime. When the curtain closes on the last show, I will be dropping show time. The Tudors are the best thing to hit t. v. since football. Please continue with mary and elizabeth they are tudors too. love the show thank god i bought all the seasons. so long to the greatest show ever.

• Karena says

Will there be any sort of sequel that takes place after Henry the 8th? Perhaps a new series involving his offspring?

7. says

there is soo much moretudor history than good ol Hal,Princess mary and Elizabeth had a whole lot of intrigues,too.How about a folllow up on them?

8. Lesley says

Oh please do not cancel the show. Can you not keep the story going on a smaller budget? Although the costumes, scenery, etc certainly add to the authenticity of this period piece, it is the phenominal acting and storyline that has everyone hooked.

9. Nicole Fasano says

Please don’t let this show end! Its called THE TUDORS, NOT HENRY VIII let it cover the rest of the Tudor dynasty! I have never ever been so addicted to a television show, how disappointing! :(

10. DIANE KELLEY says

OH NO! PLEASE SAY IT AINT SO. YOU CAN’T TAKE AWAY MY TUDORS. IT’S THE ONLY REASON I SUBSCRIBE TO SHOWTIME. I KNOW THAT THE TUDORS IS A FICTIONAL VIRSION OF HENRY, THE KING OF ENGLAND BUT I MUST SAY IT HAS PEEKED MY INTEREST IN THE REAL STORY SO I HAVE BEEN TO THE LIBRARY AND AM HOOK FOR LIFE. WHAT AN INTRIGING (did i spell that right) STORY. I LOVE THE PERIOD. ESPECIALLY THE CLOTHS. OH MAN. WHAT AM I GOING TO DO NOW. :-(

11. Victor Kamber says

I just finishe 28 episodes of The Tudors this past week and it was wonderful and I crave more. Thank you Showtime. Thank you, Thank you Thank you!.

Vic Kamber

12. Mary and Stan says

My husband and I are so disappointed that the Tudors series is over. We have been checking Showtime to see when season 5 will be on. It was a great series!! So sorry to see it end.

13. Georgette says

I have truly enjoyed the Tudors from the very beginning, up to now. A friend and I would discuss each episode in detail,it was almost like a club (lol). I love the clothes, hair and makeup. It was my all time favorite show to watch and one of the reason why I keep Showtime as my movie channel only!

14. says

I am very disappointed in reading the Tudors will not be continuing, I understand how the economy effects on the show. The Tudors is a fantastic and addictive show, I keep asking my husband when the new season is going to start, which is why I have kept Showtime. After the Tudors is over I too will be cancelling Showtime to cut my expenses. Jonathan Rhys Meyers is an stounding actor and in my opinion as a great of actor as Sean Connery and versatility as Johnny Depp. Wish it would be continued. The creator and director should feel proud of producing a great series which sparked my interest into history again, Thank you!