The Tudors: Showtime Series Ending After Year Four, No Season Five

The TudorsThere’s good news and bad news for fans of The Tudors TV series. Showtime has announced that they’re renewing it for a fourth season but it will be the historically-based show’s last.

The Tudors is a fictional version of the reign of the King of England during the 1500’s, King Henry VIII (Jonathan Rhys Meyers). Other historical players include Henry Cavill, Natalie Dormer, Nick Dunning, James Frain, Maria Doyle Kennedy, Padraic Delaney, Jeremy Northam, Jamie Thomas King, Anthony Brophy, Guy Carleton, John Kavanagh, Sam Neill, Callum Blue, Henry Czerny, Hans Matheson, David Alpay, Joe Van Moyland, Bosco Hogan, James Gilbert, Alan Van Sprang, and Peter O’Toole.

When the show debuted on April 1, 2007 to 870,000 viewers, it was reportedly Showtime’s best premiere in three years. The series has held onto those numbers pretty well, attracting 726,000 for its third season premiere last week. The series has also been well-reviewed but it is an expensive epic to produce.

Are you sorry Tudors is ending?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The first two seasons totaled 20 episodes while season three will have only eight. Series creator and executive producer Michael Hirst explained to reporters in January that the reason was “The collapse of the dollar.” At the time, Hirst said that he and the other producers were hoping to be able to make the fourth season a full 10 episode season and apparently they’ve been successful.

The fourth and final season of Tudors will revolve around Henry’s final descent into madness as well as his tumultuous relationships with his last two wives, Catherine Howard and Catherine Parr. Production is expected to begin in June in Dublin, Ireland but viewers of the period drama will have to wait until Spring 2010 to see them.

Robert Greenblatt, Showtime’s President of Entertainment, said, “I’m thrilled to complete the saga of Henry VIII as reconceived by Michael Hirst. He and Jonathan Rhys Meyers have breathed new life into the costume drama by making it both modern in sensibility but also faithful to history. I think we proved that even after 500 years this is a great story.”

By the end of the series’ run, Hirst will have single-handedly written all 38 episodes. Though the events of Henry’s life are part of the history books, it’ll be interesting to see how Hirst, with his unique take on the saga, brings it to a close.

Canceled and renewed TV show

74 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. SK says

I am sick to watch Edward the 8th..He is a selfish *******..thank god I was not born in England at that time. He is very dishonorable should never be a kind..what a horrible human being

2. sydney alexander says

Please showtime, or any other network, PLEASE! Someone create a kind of spin-off series with the queens mary and liz. It would be wonderful! I am (I can’t be the only one!) sick of all the reality show garbage, and purchased showtime only for the Tudors. And I just watched the finale again on DVD. I am sad to see it end. I know to be true to history, it had to end for Henry, but there has to be someone at a network with the courage to create some more wonderful period pieces. Not all of us out there are idiots who only like to watch morons on tv eat nasty foods,or do stupid stunts or worst of all, any more ‘talent’ shows on prime time tv!I so desire for there to be an uprising against so much mindless nonsense on tv! What a wonderfully entertaining show could be ‘bloody mary tudor’ I will miss watching Henry especially being played by the gorgeous JRM.He was BORN to play Henry, and he wasn’t bad as Elvis either.

• Bonnie says

OH YEAH!!! JMR is gorgeous and play Henry to a tee I am sure!! ELVIS!! YEP..another King he played!!
      YES I do so wish that they would put better shows on tv like History..forget all these stupid reality shows..lets get back to some really good history shows!!
      Michael Hirst is an amazing writer!! I wish The Tudors would continue with Edward then “bloody mary”

3. ruben says

One of the greatest tv shows.. I cant believe it has ended.. Bloody Mary and Elizabeth 1…
    a lot more to tell…
    Shows like this doesnt happen much, the shows opening are just bullsshhiiittttt…..
    The Tudors
    An appplllaaauusseeeee…..

4. Sandy says

I hated to see it end but I must admit it was beautifully done. Loved all the visits from the past wives. Incredibly moving.

5. Amber Conaway says

I missed the series finale and was crushed we had limited Showtime through Brighthouse and they cancelled us a week before the show ended

6. Stacey says

I’ve watched all four season and am sad to see it end. The acting, sets and costumes are unbelievable. The cast is amazing. Michael Hirst is a very talented writer and he was a new show called “The Borgias” premering on Showtime in 2011. Can’t wait to see the new show.

7. Jo Painter says

I would love to have them continue the series based on Mary’s Bloody reign. If they used the same cast and writers, it would be truly fantastic TV. I have loved this show and am sorry to see it end.

8. Bob says

It’s a great story. Too bad showtime has opted to break up the ending with all the 2 week hiatus periods… its a ****** tactic. Thank goodness for DVRs.

9. John says

Amazing that they would end it here. This is a great part of history and I would love for it to keep going right through to the end of Elizabeth’s reign. Alas, that is not going to happen. I guess I will have to watch the bachlorette. On second thought, why would I watch garbadge like that. I will just read another Bernard Cornwell book instead. Damn shame that they are going to end great television.

10. jon says

Sandy is right. King Henry’s young son succeeds him and then dies after a short period. Then Mary becomes Queen and is called “Bloody Mary” due to the death she causes to attempt to reinstate the Catholic church. Then Elizabeth who reigns for a very long time.

11. sandy says

I can’t believe it’s ending. The story of Mary and Elizabeth are equally compelling. There is so much more to tell.