The Tyra Banks Show: Was the Talk Show Actually Cancelled?

TyraLast week, it was reported that Tyra Banks had decided to end her self-named daytime talk show. Ever since that time, rumors have been surfacing that the cancellation wasn’t Banks’ idea.

Gossip columnist Janet Charlton is reporting that The Tyra Banks Show was indeed cancelled, but not by the host herself. The show was reportedly too expensive to produce when measured against the profits. Part of that supposedly stems from Banks’ large salary and the expenses incurred from moving the show from Los Angeles to New York at the start of season three.

While it’s hard to know if this information is completely accurate, the expense issues line up with what we do know for sure.

Do you think Banks cancelled her own show?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

When the show was in first-run syndication, local stations were paying cash license fees and giving Warner Bros. national ad time. When it moved to the CW afternoon schedule, it switched to an all-barter basis which is less profitable.

The number of original shows was also reduced this season. The usual 34 weeks of production was cut down to 26 weeks. Repeats of earlier episodes filled in the gaps.

Banks reportedly told her staffers that the show was over as the news was being reported in the media. The Daily News quotes a former staffer that says that this wasn’t a surprise. When the show moved across the country, many on the staff weren’t told the news directly and had to find out through the grapevine. Many of them moved to the East Coast to keep their jobs and will soon be out of work.

What do you think? Did Banks decide to end the show or was the decision made for her?

alex June 25, 2012 at 10:11 pm

SHOW SUCKED BALLS….

Ralph June 17, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Tyra was a big phony and a bitch. She sohwed her tire colors on an episode of pumped when she was at a restaurant and these girls pretented to be fans and she was nasty to them until she was told by Ashton or his crew that she was on linked. Then she totally changed her attitude and was nice, hugging the girls and laughing. I never liked her because I could tell she was a bitch and that segment on punked proved it!

Ralph June 17, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Didn’t know the show was cancelled until June 18,2012. Glad o don’t have to look at that large forehead!

tabby April 7, 2012 at 9:48 pm

im glad she’s cancelled all she did was have people come on and tell their story and right in the middle of it start talking about herself. She was stuck up on herself she doesnt deserve to be on the same level or anywhere near her.

Tyra September 26, 2011 at 5:55 am

I know my show was wack! I refused to blow the execs anymore that’s why my show was cancelled!

matmani September 26, 2011 at 5:47 am

I am soooooooooooo glad this show got cancelled! Tyra Banks is so phony & she wants to be Oprah. she can never oprah by a long shot. Oprah is well educated in her field. Stick to the swimsuit pic’s!!!!!

Joyce October 1, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I believe Tyra is well-informed enough, to make decisions for herself, she did when she ended her modeling career. As for wanting to be Oprah, as the previous person stated, it is not a uneducated thought. If one feels to emulate Oprah, that which encompasses the epitomy of class, integrity, spirituality, passion for mankind & work ethic. Why not?. How many role models do we have in the limelight of Oprah’s caliber?. I say go for it Tyra, as large as it can get. I admire her & so does Oprah. OPRAH is a TEACHER! for God’s sake!. We all have taken bits & pieces of her 25 years investment & she would not want any other way. KUDOS TYRA!!!!!

RScarbury September 23, 2011 at 10:10 am

I am very sorry to hear the Tyra show has been cancelled. I really loved the Tyra Show and since Oprah is off the air, I really don’t care for any of the other talk shows on at the same time that Tyra and Oprah’s were. None of them can even compare. Someone said it right, Tyra really cared about people and their feelings. She was a truely nice, genuine person, and I will miss her. And those who said Tyra is only in to herself are all haters. Tyra I wish you well in your future endeavors, and I too hope to see you on another show.

Taytay December 2, 2011 at 4:16 pm