The Unit: What Would Have Happened in the Fifth (and Likely) Final Season

The UnitMuch to the dismay of the show’s loyal followers, The Unit was cancelled by CBS in May. The series’ viewership had declined in its later years but, despite being preempted several times, still attracted 9.67 million viewers in season four.

The Unit was supposedly being seriously considered to continue in first-run syndication but the deal didn’t work out, likely because of production costs. Sadly, while the military drama and Dennis Haysbert, Regina Taylor, Robert Patrick, and Scott Foley will be around in syndication for years to come, we won’t be seeing season five of The Unit.

It turns out that the writers had a full plan for year five which Executive Producer Shawn Ryan was expecting to be the show’s last. He pitched the storyline ideas to the CBS execs but ultimately they weren’t interested.

At the recent TCA press tour, Ryan shared with The Futon Critic what would have happened. He said, “It was going to be a whole new show in the sense that we were going to be training some young people, Bob was going to be training some people for a whole new organization. Jonas was finally going to be seeing his run end.”

Would you have watched season five of The Unit?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Ryan continued, “The final season was going to be, I figured the fifth season was going to be the last… It was going to be a long, sort of final mission for Jonas. He’s not medically cleared, Mac has to go in and sort of change the medical records so that Jonas can keep on [going on missions]. We had a whole thing planned, it was going to be good.”

Of the cancellation, Ryan points to CBS’ last-minute decision to save NBC’s discarded Medium series. If things had been reversed and The Unit “had been owned by Paramount and Medium had been owned by 20th Century Fox, we’d be making the fifth season of The Unit right now. I don’t know how else to say that.”

What do you think? Do the plans for season five sound like a good way for the military drama to finish?

Canceled and renewed TV show

820 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Tracey says

I am an avid Unit fan, living in Spain, I have just watched seasons 1 – 4 pratically back to back, I have the whole of my fanily watching it and feel that the unit are also my family, please don’t end it there, it was not enough, us fans need more, season 5 could close so much more about the characters, lets face it none of us wanted that to be the end between Jonas & Molly!!
    Please Please Please season 5 we want you…………………….

2. zac says

i think they should shoot the 5th season and at the lease put it on the internet under there site so people can by it. Another possibly is if they did something where they have people go onto there website and subscribe to the 5th season and after a cretin number of subscribers they shoot the season and put it up on the internet

3. Rudi Oberholzer says

I live in South-Africa and is busy with my commercial pilots license (my life long dream) and this TV series was so amazing that I almost gave up flying to go and join US special forces… PLEASE don’t stop with season 4!! TV show or not, The Unit inspires a lot of people around the world! Patiently waiting on season 5… Rudi Oberholzer

4. AvidFan says

A movie to close it out would be fantastic, and could even have a bit of a Firefly/Serenity like boost, where the movie could stand on its own, while attracting new viewers to the syndicated releases of the existing material. Plus imagine how much more could be done without the restrictions of network television on this!

5. Unit fan says

Please bring back Unit season 5 OR make a couple of movies direct to dvd. There’re loads of die hard military drama fans waiting for a 5th season…. Do not disappoint us.

6. Freya says

I have very much enjoyed watching all four seasons of the Unit and am very dissapointed that there is no more for me to watch. It was my favourite TV show ever and I was hoping for another series. I know it’s probably too late to re-film another series, but next time dint cut such a good show- especially after just four seasons!

7. A Unit fan says

yer i have watched all the seasons on dvd and i just finished season for and its a crap ending serously you end the best american tv serise ive seen with that dont get me wrong season4 was epic but i looked every were for season 5 and i looked on a popular streaming site and thersover 8000 views for episode 5 of seson 4 so please find another station ether in america or here in the uk.

8. BigAl says

Just finished with season 4. Gotta bring season 5 out now – season 4 has no real ending, don’t leave us fans with this crap u might call ending, shoot season 5 and bring it on tv. Transmission out.