The Unusuals: ABC Cancels Cop Dramady, No Season Two

The UnusualsABC won’t be making its official announcement until tomorrow but the axe has already fallen for midseason’s The Unusuals.

The dramady revolves around a dysfunctional but effective group of New York City cops. The series features the talents of Amber Tamblyn, Jeremy Renner, Harold Perrineau, Joshua Close, Monique Gabriela Curnen, Kai Lennox, Terry Kinney, Adam Goldberg, Ryan O’Nan, Ian Kahn, Kat Foster, Heather Burns, Robert Funaro, and George Aloi.

The ABC show debuted on April 8th to a disappointing 6.83 million viewers and a 2.1/6 rating/share of the 18-49 demographic. The following week, the numbers fell to 6.01 million and a 1.8/5. The network tried a different timeslot but the numbers were worse and subsequently fell to a terrible 4.74 million and a 1.4/4.

Though ABC really wanted to find a new cop drama, it became pretty clear that this one wasn’t going to be it. The network has opted to cancel The Unusuals rather than order a second year.

Their official schedule will be announced tomorrow but show creator Noah Hawley has already been informed that the show is dead.

He twittered, “Friends, just heard The Unusuals will not be back for a second season. Thanks for all your amazing support.” He later wrote, “It’s a tough loss.”

There are four episodes left in season one and ABC will begin airing them next week, on May 27th.

Martha February 1, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Loved this show!! Way to quick to cancel. BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ilsa January 22, 2010 at 10:06 am

Yes! Another network like TNT or USA can pick it up. HBO! Please! Then I can continue my usual pattern of not watching NBC, ABC or CBS.

Ilsa January 22, 2010 at 10:04 am

This show was excellent! I can’t believe you bozos cancelled it. Idiots!

Disbelief January 21, 2010 at 10:08 am

I didn’t know until recently that the Unusuals had been cancelled and I’m so disappointed! Finally a show with an intersting plot, interesting characters, smart humor, & great acting and they don’t even think to give it another shot? I loved every single character and I looked forward to each episode. What a shame!

Anonymous January 21, 2010 at 2:19 am

This show was amazing, Adam Goldberg became one of my favorite actors in this show. I will buy this if it ever comes out on DVD and and would have loved to buy any ongoing seasons as well. Within the first few episodes this became one of my top rated shows, and one of the few reasons to watch TV these days.

anonymous January 10, 2010 at 5:00 pm

I loved the Unusuals it brought a laugh each week and that is something we all need. Very sad to see it go. I would like someone else to pick it up also. It was a very good show. Someone please bring it back. Maybe NBC could pick it up and put it at 10:00 pm when Jay Leno leaves.

Dissapointed January 7, 2010 at 8:50 am

Always the case: good shows canceled, and mediocracy continues to reign the air waves. People with ‘a name’ get to have shows on air, that really are not worth anyone’s time. This is precisely so many are jumping to USA, and not watching network tv. The Unsuals was the best on network tv and now its gone. Yet stupid shows like cougar town, and the like are still on the air. So typical.

Anonymous January 9, 2010 at 6:00 pm

couldn’t another network pick it up? Maybe like TNT or USA? It was such a good show and good writing. Please bring it back. Yes, why do the stupid shows always get to stay?

viewer January 7, 2010 at 8:43 am

Cant believe the were canceled. An original show, with interesting characters and story lines. We looked forward to every new show. Perhaps another network will pick them up.

Bring The Unusuals Back!!! December 30, 2009 at 9:53 pm

I loved The Unusuals. I think that ABC was too quick to call it quits on this one. They should really bring it back asap. It was a great injustice to Americans who love great cop shows. It is very sad that we had to lose such a promising television show.

Loved The Unusuals! December 27, 2009 at 1:13 pm

So sad to hear that the show has been canceled. I really enjoyed it and was looking forward to seeing where the various relationship were going. I thought it was good acting and a fun look on cop shows. It always made me laugh. Will miss the show greatly!

Anonymous December 26, 2009 at 9:23 pm

I agree with the first poster. The characters are so well developed which is rare for a dramedy. If I could I would pay for the 2nd season but alas…

Coupal November 21, 2009 at 8:29 pm

I don’t usually watch cop shows… Nor much TV in general but “The Unusuals ” was one of the best with natural and believeable characters on air. I am so disappointed it was cancelled. I don’t believe it was promoted adquately and that… is why it failed. Give it another try with a little more hype… It can’t fail….

KcR November 5, 2009 at 4:13 pm

I think it is really messed up that the show was cancelled! It was one of my familys favorite shows! It was a good dramedy and am very upset along with my family that it will not be back for a second season!

mark November 2, 2009 at 8:18 pm

BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edwin October 29, 2009 at 10:21 am

what a croc killing this show its brilliant