The Waltons: Geico Commercial Asks Rhetorical Question About Classic TV Family

Geico guy Mike McGloneThe Waltons ran for nine seasons on CBS and was a cornerstone of the network’s Thursday night line-up for the entire run. Three made-for-TV movies aired soon after the series finished and then, three reunion movies followed 10-15 years later.

While the show is popular in syndication, most TV viewers today haven’t seen a single episode of the show or really know what it’s about. However, most do recognize the iconic scene that ended each episode; a darkened farmhouse with the voices of the family members pleasantly saying goodnight to one another.

The Geico insurance company is having a bit of fun with that part of The Waltons and are using it as the focus of one of their new “Rhetorical Questions” commercials. In the spot, actor Mike McGlone (The Brothers McMullen) asks the immortal question, “Did The Waltons take way too long to say goodnight?”

Take a look. (Sorry the quality’s not better.)

What do you think? Do most people understand the TV show reference? Does that matter for the commerical to still be funny?

Canceled and renewed TV show

37 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. MIKE says

Bob, You may be right, could be Pearl Bailey. Somehow though I think it’s a voice from some black actor from a sit-com from the seventies or eighties. I’ll figure it out eventually. Or maybe it’s just Grandpa!

2. MIKE says

Please, somebody tell me who is saying goodnight at
    grandpa’s turn. It sounds like a black person and sounds like someone’s voice that I have heard most of my life. It’s driving me crazy!

• says

@MIKE: I think you’ll find that it’s really Will Gear, the late actor who played Grandpa. I believe all of the voices were pulled from the show.

3. says

Luv the Waltons commercial! Laugh so hard every timne I see it..by the way,believe that is Bill Murray doing his Garfield bit at the end,Right? Also luv the “two-tall Jones” ad and the “mean fiddle “ad! Plz do more of these-same actor!..No more cave guy,plz!!!So annoying we put tv on mute or turn/walk away!!!ugh!!Cave guy was NEVER funny!!! Thenew commercials are spot on and because of the’water-cooler’ laughs, everyone is either talking abt the ads or wanting to see them!! Good job!!!

4. Arlene Styles says

In this day and age it is sooooooo nice to hear this ending once again. I grew up with this series and watched it in syndication. More of this type of show is needed to get our moral compass on the right path once again.

5. Amanda says

I LOVE THE WALTONS!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS COMMERCIAL!!! It makes me happy every time I see it!