The Wedding Bells: FOX Cancels the Honeymoon

Cancelled The Wedding Bells on FOXAfter a four week run, FOX says the honeymoon is over for David E. Kelly’s The Wedding Bells series.

The Wedding Bells follows the Bell sisters, Annie (KaDee Strickland), Jane (Teri Polo) and Sammy Bell (Sarah Jones), who inherited “The Wedding Palace” following their parents’ divorce. The staff also includes Jane’s husband and company COO Russell Hawkins (Benjamin King), photographer David Conlon (Michael Landes), and wedding singer Ralph Snow (Chris Williams).

The series debuted on March 7th on FOX following American Idol. Over 12.4 million watched the initial episode. That sounds impressive until you realize that the comedy lost almost 16 million from Idol. Once Bells started in its new Friday night timeslot, viewership quickly fell even further. The most recent episode attracted only 4.5 million.

Production was shut down yesterday following the completion of the seventh episode. Four episodes have aired thus far and FOX maintains that the remaining three will see the light of day. The Wedding Bells remains on the schedule this week but was already scheduled to be pre-empted next week (for an airing of the movie White Chicks). It’s unlikely that the series will return.

A spokesperson for FOX said, “While we’ve been pleased with the show creatively, and David’s writing was first-rate, (Bells) just didn’t secure the ratings we’d hoped for.” Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Canceled and renewed TV show

409 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. alex says

I saw this program, interesting, funny, love the actors and the story line, you can’t beat Missy Pyle, and all the others. How can a show come on one night, and be gone the next week it did not even get a chance to prove itself. I looked forward to seeing this show and was telling everyone about it. I looked for it and find one of the actors on another program. I say, hey what happened to wedding bells. now I know. I hate network TV. I grew up in the seventies and all the shows that have become classics and groundbreakers. I wish those execs were still around. The problem is the twenty somethings executives looking at the money line instead of the product and content of the show. They are trying to get the dumb bubble heads that watch american idol instead of the real viewers who watch and stay home. Hey executives your twenty somethings are playing video games at video stores and listening to their Ipods at the mall shopping or doing the club scene.

2. Maria says

My husband and I loved this show!! We really looked forward to it.Few shows have a great story line, are funny and appropriately sexy all rolled into one. What a shame!!

3. christy says

there aren’t many shows left that are light and funny while keeping your interest. too bad FOX can’t recognize that…and what’s with only giving a show 4 episodes to determine it’s fate? i’m sick of these networks putting out series and then leaving the loyal viewers out to dry. i think i’ll stop watching new series altogether. if the networks can’t commit to them, why should i?

4. Maribel Rivera says

I truly enjoyed the show. Even if I couldn’t watch it right away I’d Tivo. I hope Fox considers bringing it back. It had smart and funny writing. Next to House, it was one of their better shows.

5. P says

Once again the networks give a promising show the axe before it even has an opportunity to gather an audience. It saddens me that mediocrity is considered acceptable and great writing and acting is a TV death sentence.

6. Alana says

This was quickly becoming my favorite show on tv!!! Pick another time slot. I found myself changing my Friday night plans to watch, so I know people will do the same during the week. Please reconsider!!!

7. Anne Pinkerton says

What a shame! I just got my daughter and granddaughter hooked and “poof”, just like OVER THERE…it’s gone. Makes me want to just turn off the TV and go do something constructive instead. Another winning horse shot!

8. Brenda says

Please ~ Please ~Please…

Bring Wedding Bells Back!

It was a great show!

My daughter and I enjoyed watching it together.

9. Lindsay says

This show was great and very funny. I was just getting into it. Bring it back please please please!just try it on a different day!

10. Lacie says

What the hell fox is stupid for canceling such a wonderful show. Damn them I really liked this show!

11. says

What’s with canceling this show? I looked forward to watching a show that was funny and entertaining. We do not have to have blood and guts on tv or lots of nudity to have a good show. Move it to a different night and give it a chance. Please bring back wedding belles. It is a very good show.

12. Barbara says

It amazes me how beautifully written shows get cancelled. If it were an Aaron Spelling show, I bet it would not have been cancelled. I think if the network was thinking of cancelling a show in the future that a poll should be taken amongst viewers for their opinions.

13. says

I’m so upset :( I’ve been wondering what happened to the show and finally googled it and found out that it was pulled. ????????? why ??????? I looked forward to that show. My Friday nights were usually movie nights until I discovered this show. I don’t know who reads these. But I hope that somebody can bring one of my favorite shows back to air. Please!!!!!!!!!!