The White Queen: “Cancelled” by BBC, No Season Two

The White Queen canceled, no season twoEven though Starz just premiered their new TV series, The White Queen, we already know there won’t be a second season.

Based on Philippa Gregory’s bestselling historical novel series The Cousin’s War, The White Queen tells the story of three very different women as they attempt to scheme, manipulate and seduce their way onto the English throne. The cast includes Max Irons, James Frain, Rebecca Ferguson, Janet McTeer, Ben Lamb, Amanda Hale, Tom McKay, Aneurin Barnard, David Oakes, Faye Marsay, and Eleanor Tomlinson.

The show is co-financed by the BBC in the United Kingdom and Starz here in the states. The 10-part series began airing on BBC1 in June and completed its run last Sunday night.

According to Broadcast Now, the BBC has maintained that The White Queen was intended to run just one season. However, Gregory had hinted that there were hopes to continue the drama via an adaptation of The White Princess. That novel follows the story of Elizabeth of York who went on to marry Henry VII, the first Tudor King.

It now appears that a continuation won’t be happening. A BBC spokesperson said, “The White Queen will not be returning, but it is important to note that it was never actually conceived as a returnable series.”

What do you think? Are you sorry that The White Queen won’t be continuing in some form? Are you glad that the story was designed to wrap after 10 episodes?

Matt October 17, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I wish this show would continue. It is the best show I have seen in a while.

Alex Lopez October 17, 2013 at 1:26 pm

This story must continue you can not end the story at a new beginning and leave the audience hanging, wanting to know more. I know a second season would be successful. Please return

Prosbo October 16, 2013 at 12:40 am

I am so sorry to hear the series is ending. If my words are worth anything in addition to others who wish for a second season, I would sincerely ask for a continuation of this quality series.
Thank you.

Tammy October 15, 2013 at 7:27 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Continue on with the rest of the story!!!

Rosecono October 15, 2013 at 5:52 pm

I love this show!!! Please bring it back for a second season! It’s a must!!!!!!!

Linda October 15, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Oh man! Since this show began, my husband and I have commented that we hope it continues. I agree with Patty. It seems like the good shows never last like the moronic ones do. A totally great way to learn history has gone down the tubes.

abby October 15, 2013 at 11:04 am

I really enjoy this series and will be really disappointed if it over already!!!!

tapu October 15, 2013 at 12:49 am

WHAT??? This show is soooo good, great acting, great story…canceling it makes no sense..

Ange October 14, 2013 at 11:58 pm

NOOOOOOO!!! WHY?????? Love this show… With so many books in the series I don’t understand why there can’t be another season!!

Ali October 14, 2013 at 4:30 pm

I was really sad to hear that it won’t be returning for a second series! I loved the bbc’s interpretation of Phillipa Gregory’s books. Because of the tv series I have read most of The White Queen books and, I know this sounds cheesy, but I have found a love for this period of history and I am now going to study History as an A level subject. I hope to become a historian focusing on this era. I know it sounds strange but I have really fallen in love with history and The York/Tudor period.
I hope the bbc will change their mind and come out with a new series about Princess Elizabeth an the Tudors.:)

lover of the white queeb October 14, 2013 at 3:47 pm

I am so sad to hear that they do not intend to renew the series. I wish they would reconsider and renew.

Patty October 14, 2013 at 3:07 pm

PLEASE PLEASE Season 2. Loved season1. Why is ut good
Shows never continue.

Anonymous October 14, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I hope they do continue or make a new series about Elizabeth and Henry’s reign. I really enjoyed this series.

Stan October 14, 2013 at 3:06 am

My wife and I both love the show! She read the book and thinks that they can continue to develop the series. We really hope that they change their minds and renew it!

fellow watcher October 13, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Yes I think they need to continue a second season and possibly even a third. I love the show, it has made me love history even more! Its stupid why starz cancelled it! We are the viewers we want to watch what we want to watch!