The White Queen: “Cancelled” by BBC, No Season Two

The White Queen canceled, no season twoEven though Starz just premiered their new TV series, The White Queen, we already know there won’t be a second season.

Based on Philippa Gregory’s bestselling historical novel series The Cousin’s War, The White Queen tells the story of three very different women as they attempt to scheme, manipulate and seduce their way onto the English throne. The cast includes Max Irons, James Frain, Rebecca Ferguson, Janet McTeer, Ben Lamb, Amanda Hale, Tom McKay, Aneurin Barnard, David Oakes, Faye Marsay, and Eleanor Tomlinson.

The show is co-financed by the BBC in the United Kingdom and Starz here in the states. The 10-part series began airing on BBC1 in June and completed its run last Sunday night.

According to Broadcast Now, the BBC has maintained that The White Queen was intended to run just one season. However, Gregory had hinted that there were hopes to continue the drama via an adaptation of The White Princess. That novel follows the story of Elizabeth of York who went on to marry Henry VII, the first Tudor King.

It now appears that a continuation won’t be happening. A BBC spokesperson said, “The White Queen will not be returning, but it is important to note that it was never actually conceived as a returnable series.”

What do you think? Are you sorry that The White Queen won’t be continuing in some form? Are you glad that the story was designed to wrap after 10 episodes?

838 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Brittany says

Really? Why completely end a show right at its climax? Everyone is ready for a second season now. There’s so many unanswered question and things people are still wondering about. It would have been nicer if we at least had a short final ending after the episode where it explains everything like who killed or has the first prince, and if Lizzy’s brother, who just came out of hiding, tries to dethrone her husband Henry in the future. Does Lizzy put lady Margaret in her place once she’s queen?

2. says

This is a fabulous series, If Starz Takes away The White Queen .They Are Just Following
    HBO When they cancelled Carnevalle. I really dont see the point of gettting into ANY original CRAP if no one ever sees the end of the story

3. Michael Maldonado says

VERY VERY DISAPOINTED! it was better then Tutors and Games of Throne put together.myself along with all of my friends through out the country are sadden that their would not be a second season.

4. YVETTE says

I really enjoyed this White Queens series. I really thought it would continue the following year. I was anxious so I went on line just to see when this would be returning and when I saw that there was no continuation that the series was cancelled I was so disappointed. Please reconsider.
    PS I really Loved the story and actors.
    Please reconsider……

5. Francesca says

I loveee this show i wish they would come out with the white princess i cant believe its goneee for good bbc!

6. Heidi Giselle says

So upset there won’t be a second season… The white princess would’ve been perfect!! Please bring it back

7. Sydne Rogers in Indiana says

I love, love, loved this show!! I am so sad to learn that there will be no second season. There is so much to work with. Please bring it back it was so full of life. I was not surprised when starz did not bring back Camelot, but this was so so much better! Now I guess I need to go read the books. BOOOOO!!

8. Reality_Bytes says

Very poor judgement by producers and networks. The storyline ended as if there would be more. It wasn’t a complete mini series based on the novel and even that description was poor. It was at best a limited adaption and no hints of continuing should have ever been made if that was the intention.

At least they killed off everyone of any consequence to the plot so I can at least feel like that was wrapped up neatly. But wish I hadn’t invested in this as now I’ll wish it had continued.

Why did Starz do this? This is typical of the big 4, Fox, NBC, CBS ABC. At least we could reply on Cabel networks to give a program a fair shot! I guess there’s no point in getting invested in anything these days. Watcher beware!

9. Susan Cooney says

I thoroughly enjoyed the White Queen series. I am so disappointed that there will not be a season 2. please please change your mind about this. this was just too good to cancel