The White Queen: “Cancelled” by BBC, No Season Two

The White Queen canceled, no season twoEven though Starz just premiered their new TV series, The White Queen, we already know there won’t be a second season.

Based on Philippa Gregory’s bestselling historical novel series The Cousin’s War, The White Queen tells the story of three very different women as they attempt to scheme, manipulate and seduce their way onto the English throne. The cast includes Max Irons, James Frain, Rebecca Ferguson, Janet McTeer, Ben Lamb, Amanda Hale, Tom McKay, Aneurin Barnard, David Oakes, Faye Marsay, and Eleanor Tomlinson.

The show is co-financed by the BBC in the United Kingdom and Starz here in the states. The 10-part series began airing on BBC1 in June and completed its run last Sunday night.

According to Broadcast Now, the BBC has maintained that The White Queen was intended to run just one season. However, Gregory had hinted that there were hopes to continue the drama via an adaptation of The White Princess. That novel follows the story of Elizabeth of York who went on to marry Henry VII, the first Tudor King.

It now appears that a continuation won’t be happening. A BBC spokesperson said, “The White Queen will not be returning, but it is important to note that it was never actually conceived as a returnable series.”

What do you think? Are you sorry that The White Queen won’t be continuing in some form? Are you glad that the story was designed to wrap after 10 episodes?

Shannon August 27, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Give us a season two based on Elizabeth of York. The series should have wrapped better if they weren’t planning on doing a seconded season. What a rip off. At lease there is always the books but I’ll pray for a season 2 does happen or a spin off series. Be smart BBC.

Mayra August 26, 2013 at 11:37 pm

I can’t believe it! I really want to see more about the serie. The White Queen looks very interesting. :(

Veronica August 26, 2013 at 10:43 pm

What a wonderful series. I look forward each week to the next episode. Why in the world is this cancelled when such crappy tv is allowed to go on and on? I can’t believe it. The history alone is a must for the young people, yes their teeth are straight and white( one of the critiques I read) but for gods sake they’re actors! Very disappointed about the executives decision to cancell such a outstanding series!! Maybe the Kardashians reality show should b nominated for some award–that’s we’re we headed. How very sad.

Anonymous August 26, 2013 at 10:10 pm

I love this show!!! I really wish they would continue with the white princess!!!!!!

Carol August 26, 2013 at 9:32 pm

I want more!!!

CC August 26, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Finally A captivating series… too bad there won’t be a sequel!

Emma August 26, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Fuming is not by half what I feel I am so disappointed there is no season two. Who I there
Right mind would air a 10 episode show with no end what the hell do
We pay our tv license for bbc you are total let down to all of the white queen fans

Sylvia August 26, 2013 at 3:33 am

I think it should continue with “the white
princess”. It would make sense for the story.
It was the best thing on TV. Great story, great
acting. 10/10

SGR August 26, 2013 at 1:56 am

Was enjoying watching White Queen, its far better than most series that are airing. Disappointed to know there won’ t be another season!

Brielle August 25, 2013 at 9:41 pm

We’ve only had 3 episodes here in the US but I am really enjoying this series so far. I’m disappointed to learn there won’t be another season. I hope maybe if they hear from enough viewers they will reconsider.

dustin r nye August 25, 2013 at 8:53 pm

i’m not surprised that there is only one season of the whtie queen star’s only had one high viewer tv show and that was spartacus.

BB August 25, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Despite the series flaws, trying to explain a very complex, vast number of characters, ever shifting alliances and even for those educated in this period of history, it is like putting together a most difficult puzzle; this series ‘The White Queen’, given the constraints of the demands of viewers, is very wonderful piece of this media to share this part of history with most who no little of what happened during this tumultuous time. It is a shame this series could not continue to at least shed some light to all those who could learn so much from ‘ The White Queen’.

mimi August 25, 2013 at 4:09 pm

i am quite disappointed the white queen is not continuing. It was an amazing story with great acting. quelle domage

Leen August 25, 2013 at 3:52 pm

So, so sad that this wont have a season two…

Eve August 25, 2013 at 3:43 pm

I am soooo angry at BBC! What the hell is wrong with you people, cut stupid soaps rather then actually watchable NORMAL drama! Argh damn you bbc!

Angie August 26, 2013 at 4:23 pm

I second that.

Anonymous August 27, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Agree! What a shame! And with the white princess heading to be such a bed seller !!

Mary Claire August 28, 2013 at 12:23 pm