The White Queen: “Cancelled” by BBC, No Season Two

The White Queen canceled, no season twoEven though Starz just premiered their new TV series, The White Queen, we already know there won’t be a second season.

Based on Philippa Gregory’s bestselling historical novel series The Cousin’s War, The White Queen tells the story of three very different women as they attempt to scheme, manipulate and seduce their way onto the English throne. The cast includes Max Irons, James Frain, Rebecca Ferguson, Janet McTeer, Ben Lamb, Amanda Hale, Tom McKay, Aneurin Barnard, David Oakes, Faye Marsay, and Eleanor Tomlinson.

The show is co-financed by the BBC in the United Kingdom and Starz here in the states. The 10-part series began airing on BBC1 in June and completed its run last Sunday night.

According to Broadcast Now, the BBC has maintained that The White Queen was intended to run just one season. However, Gregory had hinted that there were hopes to continue the drama via an adaptation of The White Princess. That novel follows the story of Elizabeth of York who went on to marry Henry VII, the first Tudor King.

It now appears that a continuation won’t be happening. A BBC spokesperson said, “The White Queen will not be returning, but it is important to note that it was never actually conceived as a returnable series.”

What do you think? Are you sorry that The White Queen won’t be continuing in some form? Are you glad that the story was designed to wrap after 10 episodes?

838 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. monique jaffre says

I loved the series,am sorry to see it end.I would have like a few more episodes,it seemed to have ended abruptly.however all good things must come to an end.I love history and I would love more of the same.

2. says

I am so upset to hear there will be know season 2 continuing with princess Elizabeth as the white princess, I think had I of known this I wouldn’t have watched the series. They should have just made a movie “the white queen”.

3. kathleen says

This is a HUGE disappointment especially since the last scene of episode 10 ended so abruptly. The White Queen is one of the best I’ve seen in a long time! Please reconsider!

• Diana says

I totally agree. The White Queen was excellent. Please rethink a second series. If you choose so let us know. Actors were great.

4. Barbara says

Boo Hoo….we want a sequel
    A continuation of a wonderfully put together bit of history….kept me riveted…hoping for “The White Princess” or what ever Phillipa Gregory can give us.

5. Lisa says

I’ve learned more history in the last ten weeks because of this series. It prompted me to research the time period and I’m fascinated at how England’s rule has evolved. I truly hope they reconsider cancelling this show. I have friends who subscribed to Starz because of my raving about it week after week and no one has had anything but praise for the series. It’s refreshing to have a weekly historical alternative that is not merely a documentary. Again, I hope they reconsider the value of this show and create a Season 2, 3, 4, 5, et cetera.

6. Marian says

I am very disappointed that there will not be a season 2 of this series. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would have loved to see the storyline continue to the Tudor reign and further. I wish the BBC would reconsider and continue this series.

7. Jennifer says

This is crazy no season 2. If I knew that I would have never watched it. I am obsessed with the show now, as I was with ‘Tudors’. It makes no sense to just stop now. BBC is wrong and I hope they rethink this. Elizabeth marries Henry Tudor and they have 2 sons and the 2nd son is King Henry VIII and everyone knows he changed England forever!!! How can they stop the show now when there is so much more to tell….