The White Queen: “Cancelled” by BBC, No Season Two

The White Queen canceled, no season twoEven though Starz just premiered their new TV series, The White Queen, we already know there won’t be a second season.

Based on Philippa Gregory’s bestselling historical novel series The Cousin’s War, The White Queen tells the story of three very different women as they attempt to scheme, manipulate and seduce their way onto the English throne. The cast includes Max Irons, James Frain, Rebecca Ferguson, Janet McTeer, Ben Lamb, Amanda Hale, Tom McKay, Aneurin Barnard, David Oakes, Faye Marsay, and Eleanor Tomlinson.

The show is co-financed by the BBC in the United Kingdom and Starz here in the states. The 10-part series began airing on BBC1 in June and completed its run last Sunday night.

According to Broadcast Now, the BBC has maintained that The White Queen was intended to run just one season. However, Gregory had hinted that there were hopes to continue the drama via an adaptation of The White Princess. That novel follows the story of Elizabeth of York who went on to marry Henry VII, the first Tudor King.

It now appears that a continuation won’t be happening. A BBC spokesperson said, “The White Queen will not be returning, but it is important to note that it was never actually conceived as a returnable series.”

What do you think? Are you sorry that The White Queen won’t be continuing in some form? Are you glad that the story was designed to wrap after 10 episodes?

Sammie October 28, 2013 at 11:00 pm

I really hope they reconsider the adaptation, I really liked this mini series. I would like to see The White Princess.

Lori October 28, 2013 at 10:11 pm

This sucks!!!! I loved this show!!!!!

Ashley October 28, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Please, oh please bring this back for a 2nd season…3rd and 4th. I even got my husband hooked on it. I hate when I finally find a show worth watching and it gets cxld.

jenny October 28, 2013 at 7:26 pm

i am pissed..i really liked this series..

Tiffany October 28, 2013 at 6:56 pm

I always disliked older king and queen movies but this tv series is nothing I have ever experienced before it got my attention from day one!! Second series has to come back its an addiction I need to know what happens!!!!!! Reconsider and make the show appear!

jennifer youssef October 28, 2013 at 5:46 am

devastated to hear that show won’t return. one of the best shows that I have ever watched, a REAL LIFE “Game of Thrones”!!!!! wish that BBC and Starz would reconsider this unfortunate decision.

Olove October 28, 2013 at 3:03 am

I was certainly looking forward to Season 2!!!

Bely October 27, 2013 at 11:29 pm

I WOULD HAVE LOVE D TO CONTINUE WATCHING!!!!!

kp October 27, 2013 at 10:47 pm

If this is true why is there listed at the end of each episode ” the white queen, the red queen…”…and something else. That to me meant there are 2 more books or seasons. Why make a show with only 10 episodes and end it? Big turn off BBC.

Anonymous October 29, 2013 at 1:28 am

Although I am disappointed too, thought you should know that it mentions three books because these 10 episodes are based on those three novels that overlap each other. They are the stories of Elizabeth Woodville (The White Queen), Margaret Beaufort (The Red Queen), and Anne Neville (The Kingmaker’s Daughter). Those novels end there. For a continuation, there The White Princess based on Elizabeth York, wife of Henry VII and mother of Henry VIII.

GTG October 27, 2013 at 10:11 pm

I was looking forward to next season. Excited to see what happens next. This SUCKS…

Lewis October 27, 2013 at 6:54 pm

This was a very good series whats the matter with BBC.

diane October 27, 2013 at 6:52 pm

The best series for a very long time,well done the BBC,but not so well
done for not making another one,so disappointed

Anonymous October 27, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Totally unfair… Seadon 2 is a must!!!

Melissa October 27, 2013 at 5:14 pm

This was one of the best shows I have seen!! We can’t let them cancel it!! Please sign the petition below and lets see if they will listen!!

Gary donovan October 27, 2013 at 5:03 pm

I cannot believe that you are not going to come back for another season is this how you are going to leave us hanging. Man up and look at these comments, the ratings should also let know you have a tremendous show.