The White Queen: “Cancelled” by BBC, No Season Two

The White Queen canceled, no season twoEven though Starz just premiered their new TV series, The White Queen, we already know there won’t be a second season.

Based on Philippa Gregory’s bestselling historical novel series The Cousin’s War, The White Queen tells the story of three very different women as they attempt to scheme, manipulate and seduce their way onto the English throne. The cast includes Max Irons, James Frain, Rebecca Ferguson, Janet McTeer, Ben Lamb, Amanda Hale, Tom McKay, Aneurin Barnard, David Oakes, Faye Marsay, and Eleanor Tomlinson.

The show is co-financed by the BBC in the United Kingdom and Starz here in the states. The 10-part series began airing on BBC1 in June and completed its run last Sunday night.

According to Broadcast Now, the BBC has maintained that The White Queen was intended to run just one season. However, Gregory had hinted that there were hopes to continue the drama via an adaptation of The White Princess. That novel follows the story of Elizabeth of York who went on to marry Henry VII, the first Tudor King.

It now appears that a continuation won’t be happening. A BBC spokesperson said, “The White Queen will not be returning, but it is important to note that it was never actually conceived as a returnable series.”

What do you think? Are you sorry that The White Queen won’t be continuing in some form? Are you glad that the story was designed to wrap after 10 episodes?

838 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. KevinC says

I enjoyed the White Queen and will miss that their is not a season two. I enjoy those types of story lines with the scheming and betrayal.

Being King is not all that it is cracked up to be!

2. terhea k says

This is my favorite show on the star network. I’m so disappointed to hear there’re not showing a second season. They could’ve ended the story. My family and friend’s will all be sad when I delivery this news.

3. Monica says

What?!?!? I’ve been waiting for trailers for the second season. How can the director provide such a great show and not continue the the story. I was waiting for Margaret Beauford’s story her vengeance. I really hope they reconsider- it was my new favorite mini-series.

4. tina says

I really think the show should finish the story. I love this show and would like to see mire of it. Its so sad to know it will be cancelled. I starting to hate people that put shows on then cancel them. Hope to see season 2 of the white queen.

5. Jess says

This is a great show. Really enjoyed and now I’m dissapionted
    That they decided not to continue. It was emotionally awesome series.

6. tabitha says

I am so disappointed there wil not be a season 2!!! I love this series and I was counting down foxr the next season. No need to keep starz now!!!!!!

7. Elizabeth says

PLEASE CONTINUE THIS SERIES!!!!!! Why would you stop here? This history is so rich and everyone I turned onto it loved it, meaning give it time to let the audience grow! It was one of the very few things worth watching! Who in the hell makes these stupid decisions?

8. Margaret Herssein says

Soooo disappointed !! Just when I thought there was finally a good show to
    watch! You should reconsider and do a second season, there is so much to
    learn from a show like this, well done and lots of intrigue. Margaret

9. Anonym says

Omg I need a season 2 from this serie. Its like I fall in love with the characters and the story. I really do. And I am so happy to watch it over and over again. So many series goes on over and over again….this need to be continued!!!!!! Pleaseeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Judith says

After voicing my disappointment on knowing there will be no second season of the “The White Queen” I signed up to receive alerts on comments about this. So I have read and felt your frustration and disappointment.
      Now I wonder are the people on BBC tracking this and might change their mind? Please someone out thee on cyberspace try to find out Please, Please.

10. Jen says

Please continue!!!! Excellent series, I couldn’t wait for season 2, now learning no season 2! Aahhhh, make it happen!!

11. Sarah Spackman says

This series is far to good to stop here. There is so much more and the final episode definitely shows there’s is much more to come. I definitely feel the BBC should continue such a fantastic series as The White Queen.

12. BE says

No no no. I cant believe this I love this show so much.. its very very intriguing. . Smh I do hope that they changed their minds and have a 2nd season. . Its a wonderful show that I have seen in years it pulled me in the 1st episode and I just couldn’t stop watching it . Well written and well performed. Please consider 2nd season. .

13. Holly says

I really think that the BBC should carry on the seasons with The White Princess… As in the final season at the very last scene of The White Queen it felt to me as there should be more to come. As Elizabeth says to her daughter that “you must be brave and you will marry Henry Tudor”.. I think it would be silly for the BBC to not make another season as we need more historical series like this out. I even thought The White Queen was better than The Tudors.