The White Queen: “Cancelled” by BBC, No Season Two

The White Queen canceled, no season twoEven though Starz just premiered their new TV series, The White Queen, we already know there won’t be a second season.

Based on Philippa Gregory’s bestselling historical novel series The Cousin’s War, The White Queen tells the story of three very different women as they attempt to scheme, manipulate and seduce their way onto the English throne. The cast includes Max Irons, James Frain, Rebecca Ferguson, Janet McTeer, Ben Lamb, Amanda Hale, Tom McKay, Aneurin Barnard, David Oakes, Faye Marsay, and Eleanor Tomlinson.

The show is co-financed by the BBC in the United Kingdom and Starz here in the states. The 10-part series began airing on BBC1 in June and completed its run last Sunday night.

According to Broadcast Now, the BBC has maintained that The White Queen was intended to run just one season. However, Gregory had hinted that there were hopes to continue the drama via an adaptation of The White Princess. That novel follows the story of Elizabeth of York who went on to marry Henry VII, the first Tudor King.

It now appears that a continuation won’t be happening. A BBC spokesperson said, “The White Queen will not be returning, but it is important to note that it was never actually conceived as a returnable series.”

What do you think? Are you sorry that The White Queen won’t be continuing in some form? Are you glad that the story was designed to wrap after 10 episodes?

Charity White December 20, 2013 at 1:56 pm

I am very dissapointed that there will not be another episode or season. I know that there were a lot of people watching The White Queen. Most of my friends, co-workers, and family. I would like to know what became of elizabeths daughter, and why kill King Richard, really!!!

We need more series like that.
The series Reign is also good but not as good as The White Queen.

anonymous December 19, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Please please please bring back second season, really enjoyed it, i’m about to watch it al over again!

Charity White December 20, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I too have started to watch it over.

Elena December 18, 2013 at 11:05 pm

This was a great series. I would love to see it continue. Starz / BBC is making a mistake by not continuing on to The White Princess. Please reconsider!

mary December 18, 2013 at 7:53 pm

that ‘s too bad! I was longing for season too…

natassia December 18, 2013 at 2:46 am

I’m very upset about this decision. It should have been made a movie otherwise. How much sense does it make to have one season, your just going to lose viewers in fear it will happen again. Quit ridiculous of a play if you ask me why ruin a good thing make another season at least . Please!

Tina December 17, 2013 at 7:29 pm

I’m sad. I’m hooked and I loved it. When I watched the all 10 episode and found out there wasn’t going to be a season 2 I was devasted. I really wish they would change their minds…

Abby December 15, 2013 at 8:51 am

Very sad to see it go. Watched the entire season in two days. Hope the networks change their minds.

Natasha December 14, 2013 at 8:25 am

I really enjoyed the white queen!!! So much so that I even went to the local library and checked out the books. It saddens me to know that it was dropped, hopefully someone smart will see this as the opportunity that it is and continue the show!

Anonymous December 11, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I really enjoyed the 1st season and am sad it’s not returning.

issa December 10, 2013 at 9:49 pm

here is a link to sing up to bring back the show, i believe this show is worth saving its really good . lets help ring it back

Lola December 10, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Why, I loved the show. I’m saddened that it has been cancelled.

Sarah Groves December 10, 2013 at 12:07 am

I am so disappointed!!!! The first season was amazing. I was shocked to see this article. With any luck another network will have the sense to pick it up if BBC is silly enough to let it go. If there was not a plan to air a second season, then they should seriously consider making it a plan!

Belinda December 7, 2013 at 6:23 am

This is so sad, I very much enjoyed the 1st season. Ill live in hope that this isn’t true!

claude December 6, 2013 at 1:14 pm

My wife and I are really sorry about the cancellation of the white queen and that there may not be a continuing series with the white princess. We really enjoyed the show. Claude and Louise

m velez December 3, 2013 at 11:26 pm

I love this show it was great every sec and I wish they would come out w a second series what an amazin show

Anonymous December 4, 2013 at 9:04 pm

I love the show and really was wanting it to continue. I thought is was an amazing series. We need a 2nd season. I was really hoping to see that someone changed there minds on it knowing how many would love to still watch this series. But just like everything else you start to really enjoy something and they drop it. It is so sad to think like that but it is very true. Every show I start to really get involved in it ends up being dropped. It is like you go into a store you find something that you like right. Then a month or so later after buying it religiously and you go in for it again and you find out they don’t carry it no more. It really sucks that we get pulled in and for what?!! So you can end it on a very interesting part.