The White Queen: “Cancelled” by BBC, No Season Two

The White Queen canceled, no season twoEven though Starz just premiered their new TV series, The White Queen, we already know there won’t be a second season.

Based on Philippa Gregory’s bestselling historical novel series The Cousin’s War, The White Queen tells the story of three very different women as they attempt to scheme, manipulate and seduce their way onto the English throne. The cast includes Max Irons, James Frain, Rebecca Ferguson, Janet McTeer, Ben Lamb, Amanda Hale, Tom McKay, Aneurin Barnard, David Oakes, Faye Marsay, and Eleanor Tomlinson.

The show is co-financed by the BBC in the United Kingdom and Starz here in the states. The 10-part series began airing on BBC1 in June and completed its run last Sunday night.

According to Broadcast Now, the BBC has maintained that The White Queen was intended to run just one season. However, Gregory had hinted that there were hopes to continue the drama via an adaptation of The White Princess. That novel follows the story of Elizabeth of York who went on to marry Henry VII, the first Tudor King.

It now appears that a continuation won’t be happening. A BBC spokesperson said, “The White Queen will not be returning, but it is important to note that it was never actually conceived as a returnable series.”

What do you think? Are you sorry that The White Queen won’t be continuing in some form? Are you glad that the story was designed to wrap after 10 episodes?

Abi January 10, 2014 at 8:09 pm

I am so sad:( I really loved this show!!

Amaga January 10, 2014 at 5:47 pm

I’m very disappointed. WHY START SOMETHING N NOT FINISH.

Rebecca January 10, 2014 at 12:04 pm

I cannot believe this! I have bought the books so I can follow the series and the history. Come on The Red Queen is next, bring it back.

Shawn January 9, 2014 at 7:42 pm

I am soo bummed… loved this series.

Laura January 8, 2014 at 12:19 pm

I am sooooo disappointed that there will not be a season 2. I LOVE this series. I want to know where I can file a complaint

meg January 8, 2014 at 12:15 am

Noooooo completely disappointed no second season.. addicted to a good show.

Roberta January 7, 2014 at 10:44 pm

I think it is cruel to start something that will hook thousands if not millions and just leave it hanging. I like many others find it a great way to learn what life was like in the past, and unfortunately I don’t have a creative imagination to make my own ending. I think maybe even a final one time show to give me a finale would give me some satisfaction.

K January 7, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Ronald January 6, 2014 at 4:54 pm

I found the show engaging and it also had me realized that politics has not changed over the centuries. The acting was believable and I found myself totally teleported to a different period of time. That means it was great casting, great acting, and outstanding directing, costume and stage production.

I am a sports fanatic and if it got me to watch all episodes, it was great TV!

Martine January 6, 2014 at 6:51 am

Me and all my friends and family have been avidly watching the White Queen. Our deception knew no limits when the series ended. Is there no posibility of creating a second season? We are organizing a protest in Bordeaux place de la Victoire, tomorrow at 5pm and wednesday at the same time.
For more info send us an email.
We are counting on all you fellow supporters of this wonderful program.
Vive the white queen !!!
Tenderly Martine du 33
kiss

Tammy From Alabama January 6, 2014 at 1:08 pm

I read where someone bought * The White Queen * on DVD?! NO WAY will I buy a ” season one ” of a show KNOWING,there won’t be another season. I’m the type that if I like a show and it comes out on DVD,I buy the entire series. I know it will eventually end,and I know in the future,I’d like to re watch it or maybe when my kids are older,and we talk about * shows of the past * , maybe they’ll want to watch it and I can just hand them all the DVDs so they can watch what I’m talking about. But to buy ONE season of a show like this one that got cancelled …..NO THANK YOU !!
My kids were watching Roseanne on TV land,I think,then they stopped showing it. So I got out all the DVDs and you’d have thought I handed them $10,000 LOL. Same with The Walton’s lol,The Dukes Of Hazzard ( for our son ) ,Everybody Loves Raymond, and Growing Pains lol I was an 80’s child,and believe it first aired in 85-86,We married at 16 and 18,and had our 1st child. I had posters of Kirk Cameron hanging on my wall and my husband still kids me about that around the kids. They had to watch the show to see who he was lol. ( we’ve been together over 26 years,married 25 in June . ( Our kids are 24,15,12 and 10….3 girls,one boy,12 year old ) That may be all we have ,I’m not sure…I know we have quite a few.My husband may have another,( besides the dukes ), OH….yes he does… I did buy him the complete series to a show one year that he wanted. He didn’t want to hunt down all the DVDs. SO,I bought them all online and gave them to him year for Christmas …his jaw dropped :-) …I had them,all 8 or 9 seasons wrapped and in out Christmas decorations for about 7 months LOL……it was the first gift under the tree….I’m a very good wife lol …he couldn’t believe I had them that long :-) . Now, I’m working on finding Home Improvement. Eventually I’ll buy Pretty Little Liars. I’ve never even seen it,but hear its good. I’ve missed so much,I won’t watch it on TV,so waiting for the price to drop,even if it’s 5 years after it ends lol. I can’t or won’t pay 40$ a season….when I know the price will drop. I paid 30$ a season for a few of The Walton’s then couldn’t find them anymore. Then one day I found them in SAMs for 8.88$ a season……I thought WTF lol….so I bought seasons 4-9 to finish my collection. Not long after that,i found the DVD with the 3 Walton’s movies. I now watch prices drop on several other shows on DVD that I/we plan on buying.. Learned my lesson.

ANYWAY….I WISH they could find a way to continue The White Queen.. I’d love to the show on DVD. There’s SO much to tell about the British throne. I LOVE the movie ‘ The Young Victoria’ ( 1800’s ). WalMart doesn’t sell it in store,not sure why,but they do online. That’s where I got mine….eBay may be cheaper,and I do buy movies from there,but this movie,I bought/wanted new and didn’t want to wait on an auction.

Well,rambled enough…sorry…I’m a talker …..I guess because it’s the first day back to school for the kids after Christmas vacation and I have no one to talk too. Lol.

Cindy January 5, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Maybe A&E will pick it up…I was hooked and ordered Starz just for this show…No White Queen no Starz…

Monica Norman January 4, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Ive never been drawn into a show like this ever. Please continue.. please.

t January 4, 2014 at 1:36 am

Im very disappointed! I liked the series and now its cancel wtf. I liked the books too. Ive been waiting to see season 2 now i cant!

Tammy January 3, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Ok,I do see up top where it says cancelled by BBC …… So,can Starz not continue it? That’s the channel I watched it on. Not BBC.

Hey Encore,are you out there? Will you pick up The White Queen?

Sandyice January 3, 2014 at 3:48 pm

I am VERY disappointed! The White Queen series was wonderful: I bought ALL the Phillipa Gregory books and have read them (almost all) and the TV series really adhered to the story line almost perfectly. This is beautifully dramatized history that is compelling to watch. I am VERY disappointed that there will not be another season! and I hope that someone decides to make what would have been the 2nd season into a movie–and ALSO The Borgias—why on earth would they cancel the Borgias!

Tammy January 3, 2014 at 4:50 pm

So BBC/Starz cancels The White Queen but yet has played reruns of the show. WHY????
Do you want other people to watch it and then find out they wasted their time because there won’t be a 2nd season?! Same with Magic City…wasn’t it cancelled as well?!
I just can’t or won’t watch a show on Starz again. I’m not going to get hooked on something that you decide to cancel. Especially something like The White Queen……