The White Queen: “Cancelled” by BBC, No Season Two

The White Queen canceled, no season twoEven though Starz just premiered their new TV series, The White Queen, we already know there won’t be a second season.

Based on Philippa Gregory’s bestselling historical novel series The Cousin’s War, The White Queen tells the story of three very different women as they attempt to scheme, manipulate and seduce their way onto the English throne. The cast includes Max Irons, James Frain, Rebecca Ferguson, Janet McTeer, Ben Lamb, Amanda Hale, Tom McKay, Aneurin Barnard, David Oakes, Faye Marsay, and Eleanor Tomlinson.

The show is co-financed by the BBC in the United Kingdom and Starz here in the states. The 10-part series began airing on BBC1 in June and completed its run last Sunday night.

According to Broadcast Now, the BBC has maintained that The White Queen was intended to run just one season. However, Gregory had hinted that there were hopes to continue the drama via an adaptation of The White Princess. That novel follows the story of Elizabeth of York who went on to marry Henry VII, the first Tudor King.

It now appears that a continuation won’t be happening. A BBC spokesperson said, “The White Queen will not be returning, but it is important to note that it was never actually conceived as a returnable series.”

What do you think? Are you sorry that The White Queen won’t be continuing in some form? Are you glad that the story was designed to wrap after 10 episodes?

NO NAME January 17, 2014 at 4:28 pm

OMG, very dissapointed, one of the best mini series yet. I really couldn’t wait for Saturday on Starz to watch. Please bring it back, as I thought it ended a little wierd.

Kathleen Cheshier January 17, 2014 at 2:49 pm

This is so sad. I haven’t enjoyed a series as much as I have enjoyed The White Queen in quite some time. I found it to be entertaining and action packed and loved the dynamics of the women plotting and scheming to keep the throne for their men, and the wars and battle scenes were amazing. The story line was wonderful and I even went out and read the book by Phillipa Gregory and found it wonderful as well. I wish there was a spin off starting with the reign of Henry Tudor and Elizabeth of York. I would have loved to see how that played out. PLEASE MAKE A NEW SERIES!!! With LOVE from a loyal fan!

Jeanne January 17, 2014 at 2:52 am

Loved this series and it prompted me to read the real histories of all the fascinating characters. Definitely would watch the White Princess if it does get made.

Kathleen Cheshier January 17, 2014 at 3:14 pm

@Jeanne I was also prompted to want to go out and learn as much as I could about England’s History. I loved researching the monarchy of England and found it facinating. I learned when King Richard the III’s body was found a decendant from his sister Margret was still living in Canada and helped to identify his remains by the Mitochondrial DNA of their mother Cecily Neville. Awesome!!

Becky January 15, 2014 at 5:31 pm

I loved this show. They didnt give it a proper ending, so I assumed there would be a second season or a spin off. I knew it was ment to be a mini series, but seriously? thats it? Poor choice.

Gaby January 15, 2014 at 3:37 am

NO…NO…NO!!
So disappointed there will be no season 2.
Really enjoyed watching and was looking forward to what comes next??……..

Liz January 12, 2014 at 8:55 pm

So sad to hear there will be no Season 2 of the White Queen on Starz. Loved all the actors. Please bring it back.

Jen January 12, 2014 at 7:16 pm

I loved the series! So upset about no season 2!!

Maria Busic January 12, 2014 at 2:52 am

Very disappointed there won’t be a second season. I really enjoyed the first season. I feel it’s unfinished left as it is.

Anonymous January 11, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Wow how sad :-(

millie January 11, 2014 at 6:26 pm

WHAT THE HECK. I have been waiting 4 part2 and now I find you are not going to do a part2, r u KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don’t start nothing you don’t intend on finishing.

Darlene January 11, 2014 at 3:06 pm

I am so very disappointed that there will be no second season. I just loved the White Queen and so sad there will be no more.

Jane January 11, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Soooo disappointed. I was truly looking forward to a second season, and many more :,(. I too, will be canceling my starz subscription due to BBC and Starz canceling the show. This show was amazing!! I cannot comprehend any reason(s) for canceling such a phenomenal show.

gina January 11, 2014 at 6:51 am

I am very very disappointed! This was the only show I would watch during its air time. Greatly saddened to learn it will not return.

Linda Baker January 11, 2014 at 3:31 am

I am sooo disappointed that I can’t see the series continue. Was so looking forward to season two. Will cancel my starz movie channel. White Queen was the only reason I had the movie channel.

Don Lind January 10, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Great series this is such so disappointing!

Judy January 16, 2014 at 2:03 am

I am so disappointed there is not going to be a season 2. Why is it when the executives FINALLY come up woth a winning program that we like, they discontinue it? Aren’t we the ones that should have a say in what we can watch? It was a EXCELLENT series!!