The White Queen: “Cancelled” by BBC, No Season Two

The White Queen canceled, no season twoEven though Starz just premiered their new TV series, The White Queen, we already know there won’t be a second season.

Based on Philippa Gregory’s bestselling historical novel series The Cousin’s War, The White Queen tells the story of three very different women as they attempt to scheme, manipulate and seduce their way onto the English throne. The cast includes Max Irons, James Frain, Rebecca Ferguson, Janet McTeer, Ben Lamb, Amanda Hale, Tom McKay, Aneurin Barnard, David Oakes, Faye Marsay, and Eleanor Tomlinson.

The show is co-financed by the BBC in the United Kingdom and Starz here in the states. The 10-part series began airing on BBC1 in June and completed its run last Sunday night.

According to Broadcast Now, the BBC has maintained that The White Queen was intended to run just one season. However, Gregory had hinted that there were hopes to continue the drama via an adaptation of The White Princess. That novel follows the story of Elizabeth of York who went on to marry Henry VII, the first Tudor King.

It now appears that a continuation won’t be happening. A BBC spokesperson said, “The White Queen will not be returning, but it is important to note that it was never actually conceived as a returnable series.”

What do you think? Are you sorry that The White Queen won’t be continuing in some form? Are you glad that the story was designed to wrap after 10 episodes?

Victor Singh April 12, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Absolutely, extremely disapointed. OMG how could you just give us 1 season of such rich culture of our past time. Although it is a bit fiction, I think the integrity of what it represents deserves more than just 1 season and I am sure the viewers agree.

Cindy payton April 8, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Loved white queen and wished it would return. We were dedicated watchers

Cindy payton.

Anonymous April 8, 2014 at 1:53 am

We want more !!! Don’t cancel a GREAT SHOW !!

Cheryl April 7, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Extremely dissapointed as this was one of the best acted tv series that’s out there. The cast was amazing and I felt it would have brought you more viewers than you could have imagined. You left the season finale with too much of a cliff hanger and just when the plot had come to the end with hope in sight for Elizabeth’s daughter to marry Henry, you go and cancel the series. REALLY??????????? At least make a movie to perhaps finish out what your talented writers come up with and closure for all us poor viewers left in the lurch!!

Jeep April 7, 2014 at 11:42 am

Very disappointing to hear that it’s not returning for a second season. This was a great TV show

Annette April 1, 2014 at 8:38 pm

This is horrible news. Love this! Have you forgotten what good art /acting is ?

I love this . Please continue!!!!!!

kathy callahan April 7, 2014 at 11:57 am

Horrible!!!!! Bring the white queen back. I waited every week for the next episode. I spent a whole Saturday just re-watching all of the episodes. Why do they always do this? Have a great series and then after 1 season, it’s gone.

Priscilla March 26, 2014 at 6:00 am

Well first off, I really didn’t think it was going to be a good show. But I have this habit of buying movies and tv shows that are out on DVD so I have something that I can fall asleep to at night. Hehe. So when I bought the show on DVD I wasn’t really expecting a whole lot. But by the second episode… I was hooked! I loved it! And I didn’t get to bed till 3:30 in the morning. Shoot I didn’t want to turn it off. Lol. So ya I was pretty disappointed to learn that there was only going to be 1 season. Serious bummer! I hate when they come out with shows that I really like and they either cancel them or they’re super short. Ahhhh! I defiantly think they should take another look at it and reconsider making more seasons.

amy March 25, 2014 at 11:07 am

Oh wow, so disappointed to hear this. I really enjoyed this series. I looked forward to it.

Deborah March 23, 2014 at 1:56 pm

So sad and disappointed. It was an awesome series. It seems that today’s mini series are aimed at the younger generation, and are of no interest to me~ Although “The White Queen” appeared rushed and a bit vague towards the end, I thought it provided an excellent form of entertainment and wish you would reconsider season two.

Rebecca Riley March 17, 2014 at 5:03 pm

I am GREATLY disappointed that the white queen series will not continue or even go back even further in history making a series of movies more historically accurate that William Shakespeare whose movies are an historical joke.

john beck March 11, 2014 at 11:45 pm

What books tell about Elizabeth of york

Sandy Sawyer March 11, 2014 at 11:43 pm

Very disappointed that this is not continued. It was one of the best series that I have seen in a long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

White Queen Fan March 10, 2014 at 11:18 am

So disappointed. Was waiting for 2nd season. Why do you take off all of the good shows?

lanie March 9, 2014 at 6:57 pm

This was an incredible series… loved it! It’s always the good ones that get cancelled and stupidity like walking zombies goes on and on an on…. guess that just goes to show how inept people really are! Shame!

Norah March 19, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Totally agree with you… As they designed the ending of the season it shows that it will continue to second season!! Bad choice you suppose to do the good thing not the stupid ones!!!!!! DISAPPOINTED

Wally March 8, 2014 at 11:10 pm

It was an ok series. They started out ok but seemed somewhat rushed in the making. This could have been stretched to a two year series that told the complete tale. Actually, the whole story of Elizabeth of York is a rousing tale of court intrigue.