The White Queen: “Cancelled” by BBC, No Season Two

The White Queen canceled, no season twoEven though Starz just premiered their new TV series, The White Queen, we already know there won’t be a second season.

Based on Philippa Gregory’s bestselling historical novel series The Cousin’s War, The White Queen tells the story of three very different women as they attempt to scheme, manipulate and seduce their way onto the English throne. The cast includes Max Irons, James Frain, Rebecca Ferguson, Janet McTeer, Ben Lamb, Amanda Hale, Tom McKay, Aneurin Barnard, David Oakes, Faye Marsay, and Eleanor Tomlinson.

The show is co-financed by the BBC in the United Kingdom and Starz here in the states. The 10-part series began airing on BBC1 in June and completed its run last Sunday night.

According to Broadcast Now, the BBC has maintained that The White Queen was intended to run just one season. However, Gregory had hinted that there were hopes to continue the drama via an adaptation of The White Princess. That novel follows the story of Elizabeth of York who went on to marry Henry VII, the first Tudor King.

It now appears that a continuation won’t be happening. A BBC spokesperson said, “The White Queen will not be returning, but it is important to note that it was never actually conceived as a returnable series.”

What do you think? Are you sorry that The White Queen won’t be continuing in some form? Are you glad that the story was designed to wrap after 10 episodes?

Daenarys September 21, 2013 at 11:23 pm

I get that this was a mini series but I want to see more. There is so much other crap on TV and this is based on real events and it has meaning and history! Please bring it back and continue it up to the point of King Henry VIII cause that’s been done lol!!!!

Nicki B. September 21, 2013 at 10:25 pm

STARZ should definitely follow up with a continuation of THE WHITE QUEEN. There is so much more story to tell about the Lancasters, Yorks and Tudors. It seems that anything historical does not have the impact and value of sex, violence, and sheer junk. I am greatly disappointed with STARZ, and may just cancel their programming, because of this cancellation. There has to be something of value on TV. For the most part, almost everything left is worthless, including broadcast, cable and satellite. Even the news broadcasts present what they want to show, not the truth. I guess they take us all for fools, enjoying nothing but myths! Wake up, STARZ. Continue THE WHITE QUEEN, please. Your subscribing audience isn’t too dumb to understand or appreciate it

Carmelene September 20, 2013 at 10:31 pm

I agree it should continue. Finally a show with substance and real meaning. It’s historically based and educational. Oh let’s watch reality shows and make regular people rich instead. Go figure.

Daenarys September 21, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Yes reality tv is so over played I agree

J downs September 20, 2013 at 8:26 am

White queen made history come alive with believable characters. Excellent in all aspects. History goes on …. So should the series.

Jan B September 18, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I LOVE The White Queen. Can’t believe it will run only one season. Sounds like from other responses, BBC should “re-think” this bad decision!

Anonymous September 17, 2013 at 2:00 pm

BBC suck!!!! Always making shows with no endings!!!! Very disappointing!!!!!! I was looking forward to watch season 2 of the white queen, I love the show!!!!!

Anonymous September 17, 2013 at 1:50 pm

BBC SUCKS BIG TIME, here from Denmark, the best tv show ever!!!

Anonymous September 17, 2013 at 7:00 am

Great show – well acted -crazy not to follow up

Janet September 16, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Anonymous September 16, 2013 at 1:56 am

I can think of half a dozen very studpid shows that Starz could cancel why cancel one that is actually entertaining!!! You’re blowing it BIG TIME STARZ!!!! I’m thinking HBO might be a better choice.

CJ September 16, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Starz didn’t cancel this and nor did BBC. It was a “miniseries” which means it was only meant to run one season; otherwise it would be a “series”. I agree that there are stupid shows out there and this was one of the best this year, but don’t kill the messenger. They have no control over it. Let’s hope they do go for The White Princess and pick up at the first Tudor king. That I would like to see for sure.

María September 15, 2013 at 3:03 pm

I ment sorry

María September 15, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Soraya there won’t be sea son 2.

Anonymous September 7, 2013 at 10:36 pm

I dont understand why they would cancel such a good show I was dying to know what happens next this would’ve been the best show ever if there were other episodes and more seasons but I guess we will never know .

xinunus September 7, 2013 at 3:14 pm

This is a HORRIBLY directed TV series.

Remember in episode 1 or 2 when Lady Margaret Beaufort goes to visit her son Henry, the future King Henry VII? He was around 5 or 6 years old at the time of that visit.

When they did a forward in the story line an episode later, a message on the screen said 3 YEARS LATER. Well Lady Margaret Beaufort visits her son again Henry and he hadn’t aged a day even though it was suppose to be 3 YEARS LATER!!

Not sure about you all but a 5-6 year old looks allot older than a 9-10 year old, which should have been his age when they forwarded the story 3 years and Lady Margaret Beaufort went to visit him again.

HORRIBLE DIRECTING. The director should be fired and never direct again over something like this.

ES September 19, 2013 at 11:02 pm

If that’s the only thing that you can Nit-pick over then you’ve got way too much time on your hands. I agree with everyone else’s sentiments, this has been a fantastic show and I would have really liked to have seen the white princess as a mini series, would have been interesting to see the relationship between the parents of Henry the 8th.

Anonymous September 6, 2013 at 11:32 pm