The White Queen: “Cancelled” by BBC, No Season Two

The White Queen canceled, no season twoEven though Starz just premiered their new TV series, The White Queen, we already know there won’t be a second season.

Based on Philippa Gregory’s bestselling historical novel series The Cousin’s War, The White Queen tells the story of three very different women as they attempt to scheme, manipulate and seduce their way onto the English throne. The cast includes Max Irons, James Frain, Rebecca Ferguson, Janet McTeer, Ben Lamb, Amanda Hale, Tom McKay, Aneurin Barnard, David Oakes, Faye Marsay, and Eleanor Tomlinson.

The show is co-financed by the BBC in the United Kingdom and Starz here in the states. The 10-part series began airing on BBC1 in June and completed its run last Sunday night.

According to Broadcast Now, the BBC has maintained that The White Queen was intended to run just one season. However, Gregory had hinted that there were hopes to continue the drama via an adaptation of The White Princess. That novel follows the story of Elizabeth of York who went on to marry Henry VII, the first Tudor King.

It now appears that a continuation won’t be happening. A BBC spokesperson said, “The White Queen will not be returning, but it is important to note that it was never actually conceived as a returnable series.”

What do you think? Are you sorry that The White Queen won’t be continuing in some form? Are you glad that the story was designed to wrap after 10 episodes?

838 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. kim morgan says

I have never been interested in history but this show was so good it captured my full attention. Please reconsider bbc you wont be dissapointed with the following you will get.

2. Pat says

Say it isn’t so.This was a great show with t he most talentthised actors. I hope they reconsider a decision they will regret.

3. Roxann says

I am so sad that their won’t be another season. I enjoy this show so much. Please bring back a second season…please! It’s so good and the cast is awesome

4. Lorraine says

I ordered Starz just to watch this show and will probably cancel it now that I know they are not having another season of The White Queen. I really love this show!

5. teresa says

This is an incredible cast and I continued my subscription to watch this show. Someone needs to continue it.

6. jeff says

Kinda stupid to cancel such a great show. I understand it was only meant for one season, but the BBC should seriously reconsider. This is one of those shows that needs to be continued.

7. Diane says

I’m so upset and disappointed. I loved this show and was getting so into it. I can’t believe they”re not renewing it for another season. I really hope they reconsider as it’s such a great show.

8. Samantha says

I cant believe they only made this one season! The books are amazing and the show had so much more to go on I really hope they change their minds and bring it back

9. Tricia says

I’m so sad they won’t continue the series
    The white queen . I loved it. It made learning about
    history fun.
    Very sad day for me

10. Lillian says

I agree totally with Valeria’s comment, it’s a GREAT show .I hope the BBC reconsiders…you don’t usually get this kind of remarkable series!

11. Valeria says

Really sad!!!! The White Princess is a sensational book an would have made an even BETTER film adaptation…Hope the BBC rethinks this decision….