The X-Files: Gillian Anderson Sure Doesn’t Miss It

Gillian Anderson in The X-FilesThough many struggling actors yearn for the security of a long-running television series, Gillian Anderson seems to be a believer in the old adage about being careful what you wish for. Just ask her about her time on the cult favorite series The X-Files.

Stella magazine recently interviewed Anderson while promoting her upcoming film Straightheads. Though many fans miss the sci-fi show, Anderson certainly isn’t one of them. She reportedly told Stella “I spent nine years on a film set, nine f***ing years! To begin with it was all right, but gradually it all became incredibly gossipy and incestuous. It’s like living in this disgusting microcosm when everything becomes condensed like that.”

When the interviewer suggests that it couldn’t have been that bad since she stayed so long, Anderson replied, “What are you talking about? I couldn’t get out of it; I didn’t have a choice. I had to sign a contract for five and a half years before I even went to my last audition – when I didn’t even know if I’d got the part. Back then I was all innocent and I thought, ‘Wow, that sounds wonderful.’ But then, when I started, I realized I’d be in a Canadian wood working 16 hours a day for nine months a year. And the reason I stayed so long was because the only way I could get more money was to commit myself to doing it for another couple of years.”

When Anderson did finally leave The X-Files, she vowed never again to be part of a long-running series. But, if the right project came along would she not even consider another show? Anderson says “Are you kidding me? My God, I don’t even watch television. I don’t like television. I never have liked it. The whole concept of sitting down in front of a TV feels like one of things that’s destroying society as far as I’m concerned.”

Hmmm. It’s a good thing that the upcoming X-Files project is a big-screen film. If it was a made-for-TV project, I don’t think we’d be seeing Agent Scully again any time soon. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Annoymous July 1, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I’m rather dubious about articles like these because they often take people’s comments out of context and/or blow them out of proportion. I’m sure Gillian Anderson disliked aspects of her time on the show, especially working long hours with the same people which is bound to grate on anyone, but I very much doubt she hated it as much as the article suggests. In all the blooper videos I’ve seen her in she’s always laughing and joking about, in short looking like she’s thoroughly enjoying herself. As talented an actress as she undoubtedly is, she couldn’t have created the chemistry she did with DD if she disliked her work. In interviews I’ve seen she has expressed gratitude for the years doing the X Files and the people she worked with.

So really, I suspect this article isn’t giving the whole side of the story. Even if GA’s comments were actually said, she’s human and maybe she was just having a bad day when she said them!

I do think she’s right about TV though. Just not the X Files!

Jason January 10, 2013 at 8:27 am

im about 6 years late to this party, but i wanted to say i agree with her to some extent about television. even as a i always thought television can be as retarding or destructive as it can be enriching and educational.
i, too, am sorry to read about her feelings to the show. but put it in context – it was a job for her. whether she got a job on the wonderful “x-files” or as a supporting acrtress in “cybil” or “seinfeld”, she would have probably felt the same.
i think Gillian Anderson is a very talented actress, though not too humble – but so few people are, so what’s the difference? she was amazing on the “X-files”, and will live in my heart forever as Dana Scully (sorry, Gillian, but its true).

Lily June 27, 2011 at 4:33 am

David Duchovny spoke with much more class and tact about his experiences. Always liked him better anyway.

Mo November 20, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Wish I’d seen this post when it first came out.

I’m a HUGE XF fan and I’ve known for a long time that GA was a bit… iffy, to put it mildly, about her feelings on the show. But at least she’s had the decency to be civil about it. I guess now that so much time has passed, she feels free to be her true (and very ugly) self. Good to know.

vince May 15, 2007 at 11:05 pm

“a betty back in the day”…maybe she is soured by the last 2 seasons, (as were we) a.k.a “Chris & David fallout.” You should remember the whole experience foremost, and that for 7 years you were part of genius in Carter, and honed by a great talent in Duchovny. Television can be entertaining if your selective. Sixteen hours, and 3 months off IS brutal to anyone…but it gave us your best. THANK YOU!

Mark Ciricillo May 13, 2007 at 9:05 am

I’m sorry to read Gillian Anderson’s comments. It’s too bad she couldn’t have left with a more positive light on her experience. This woman was a part of a show that made television history. Most fans would consider it a dream come true just to have a chance to meet her or David Duchovny or to be on the set for a day. She got the chance to be part of tv history for nine years…and get paid pretty good for doing it! Try punching a clock in a factory for nine years at a fraction of the salary and tell me if you still feel that way Ms. Anderson!

Bill Rosen April 27, 2007 at 11:46 am

As an avid X-files fan it’s really disappointing to hear that Anderson didn’t like her job, or appreciate the fact that because of her long time commitment to the X-files she is part of history forever! She was perfect in the part, and did a good job faking it for that long, but I think her ungrateful attitude is more damaging to society than watching tv. I also thought they gave up on the lone gunmen and Millenium to soon!

Arlene Joyce April 24, 2007 at 10:22 pm

I just read the other comments on Gillian Anderson’s statement. And I must remind everyone that with all long-time relationships there will always be an up side and a down side. Ms. Anderson has always expressed her appreciation in doing the serie and what it meant to her career. All she was doing was addressing her opinion on her experience in doing it.

Mohammed Mamdouh April 24, 2007 at 8:26 am

Well, I think she’s pretty much forgotten that the only reason she can get another acting job or the only reason she’s been established in film and television is because of the X-Files. I think she should be thankful for her time or she’d still be going to auditions trying to get a job. I really dont remember seeing her in anything else. I think she owes that much to the creators of the show … a thank you for making my career exist.

Ken April 22, 2007 at 2:02 am

Sounds like Ms Anderson doesn’t mind biting the hand that fed her for so many years.
She should think about the fact that the only way she can get a headline anymore is by writers mentioning the X-Files. How many of her other projects is she remembered for???

Anonymous April 21, 2007 at 10:23 pm

Wait, so she basically says that she was helping to destroy society for money. Ok. Sounds as lovely as her verbage.