The X-Files: The Truth About the New Movie

The X-FilesIt’s been five years since The X-Files final episode was aired and nine years since the feature film was released. Though a second film has been rumored for many years, fans had begun to suspect that a new film would be as likely as the government admitting there’s a Roswell cover-up. Well, it looks like things may have changed.

The X-Files was created by Chris Carter and debuted on September 10, 1993 on FOX. David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson starred as FBI Agents Mulder and Scully who investigated cases of paranormal activity called “X-Files.” The series ran for 201 episodes and inspired a short-run spin-off series (The Lone Gunmen) and a feature film in 1998 (The X-Files: Fight the Future). The series popularity declined in its later years and it ended on May 19, 2002 with more than a few mysteries left unsolved. The show remains popular and was named the second greatest cult show of all time in 2006 by TV Guide.

Since Hollywood is so hot to stick with known properties (hence the big-screen adaptations of Underdog, The Dukes of Hazzard, Magnum P.I., etc., etc., etc.), it seems like another X-Files film would be an easy greenlight. Not so. Back in early 2004, Duchovny said he believed a second film would begin production in “the next year or so.” Nope. In 2005, Duchovny told reporters that he expected to shoot “X-Files 2″ later that year or in early 2006. Didn’t happen.

Now, after years of delays, things are moving forward. It seems the movie was delayed due to an ongoing lawsuit between series creator Chris Carter and the FOX studio over syndication profits. The lawsuit has reportedly now been settled. Both Duchovny and Anderson have finally been signed to do the film. Anderson recently said, “Every year or two they talk about it again, but it seems like it might be for real this time. Somehow it seems like somebody’s really serious about it ”

The film’s plot details however remain locked away, safe from prying eyes – even those of Agent Scully. Anderson revealed, “I keep in e-mail contact with Chris but he won’t talk about it. At all.” Mulder’s alter-ego Duchovny seems to have uncovered a few more details. He says that the movie will focus mostly on the core characters Mulder and Scully (sorry Robert Patrick and Annabeth Gish) and will be a standalone supernatural thriller. It won’t directly relate to the alien conspiracy that became the series’ overlying storyline. If the film does well, Duchovny believes there will be additional movies as well.

Will the film touch on any of the questions left hanging by the end of the series – like the fact that there’s a world-ending alien invasion coming on December 22, 2012? It doesn’t sound like it but Anderson says that the movie sequel’s function isn’t to appease the hardcore fans. “I actually don’t have enough of a perspective to say whether questions were answered or whether it [the series] was wrapped up enough in the end, and honestly there’s part of me that doesn’t care. I can be sympathetic to die-hard fans who might feel left in short shrift, but that’s where my sympathies lie!”

Filming should begin in 2008 or sooner. Hopefully the new X-Files movie will be released sometime before Christmas 2012, after which I guess it really wouldn’t matter. Or maybe there will be a government cover up to stop the movie from being released because it reveals too much? Conspiracy lovers, stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

molly January 2, 2008 at 5:08 pm

I take exception to the above article stating the series was in decline in its later years..it was not!!
and I hope the same thing happens with this that did with star trek.

Leena December 24, 2007 at 4:32 am

The last chapter of X FILES was a crap!!! The only new thing is the date of the end. What’s the matter with Mulder, Scully, Dogget, Monica, Skinner and Gibson? Can they do anything? I think that C. Carter didn’t know how to end it. A new film of X FILES has to talk about the conspiration and the aliens, and close it definetly.

diet coke drinker December 23, 2007 at 5:53 pm

Finally…I hope!? All I want is some kind of closure…I think 2 or 3 more movies should do the trick (or maybe 4 or 5 or… )
I am very happy that things are now moving along on this long awaited movie…

Marie December 17, 2007 at 6:58 pm

I’m so glad a new movie is finally being done…all I ask for is, if this is the last hurrah, please, give me some closure! If the movie is not the last hurrah, then, yay!! Bring on the movies…

Jukka Saksala December 17, 2007 at 7:44 am

I think X-files is the best serie ever created in sci-fi.
I hope really that they will continue the series and make more movies starring (D.Duchovny & G.Anderson)
I love you both<3 !

Ama December 16, 2007 at 3:48 pm

Hey Elizabeth,
If you want to see Mulder & Scully kissing you should check out the later seasons of the X-Files, especially the final episode ;)
Let’s hope in the movie we get to see more than just kissing tho ;D

L December 11, 2007 at 10:24 am

I loved the X-files and would be glad to see another movie. If it focuses not just on Mulder and Scully’s work but the relationship between them, that would be cool.

Anonymous September 28, 2007 at 1:35 am

My favorite show of all time.

jeremy September 16, 2007 at 12:25 pm

i remember when i was 5 or 7 i used to watch the x files with my sis and i could not understand a thing ?????? but these last few years i have been watching it and i cant think of the words to mention its so good i guess words cant describe it please don’t change anything let the story be the way it was (thats the real x files)i hate to say it its better than harry potter :-( it kind makes sense to me though well i must say it but people wrote books about huge cylinder’s that could go under watter and today they are built and known as submarines then they wrote books and made up bed time story’s about huge flying birds with people in em and its called planes most of science and technology was created from fake movies and story’s see line 10 from the end (the bottom) i mean take things like this easy people may get ideas or may be it just happens don’t include such things or include them in a way thats good for us in the end i could be some crazy guy talking nonsense but may be we all suffer the consequences remember the government cant be trusted i am just saying we learn from other things its the human nature its no use regretting later if such thing happens and its too late remember we cant travel backwards in time to fix our errors and even if we could we are dead we can only move forwards in time and prevent such things not repair some might get this message some might be too stupid and like to live in a dream world if you are stupid you cant understand what i am saying so just forget

Samantha (yeah really) September 13, 2007 at 7:56 pm

I would be excited if I could count this as the truth. Unfortunatly we have seen to many of these reports for me to believe this.

Carol B July 26, 2007 at 9:51 pm

I loved X-Files from the very first. I would love to see another movie. As a matter of fact, I am sitting her typing this while watching the X-Files movie on Cinemax.

Paul July 17, 2007 at 8:07 am

I can’t believe it’s already been 5 yrs since the series ended. Wow! I just watched the last 4 episodes back to back last night. A new movie would be so awesome, but if Gillian is so repulsed at reprising her role, what good would it do? Maybe they could bring in Doggett and Reyes again. Really, with The X-Files, possibilities are pretty wide open. Would really like to see Mulder & Scully tie up loose ends. But only if Gillian is totally into it. Those are my thoughts. Thank you.

Joel Davison May 8, 2007 at 3:06 am

I think its great that there is going to be a new X-Files movie.

I am 16 and begun watching the X-Files this year and was imediatly hooked. It was and is such a great show, one of my all time favourites and proboly will be for the rest of my life.

Get the film running guys, before your too old “haha”

Thanks

Joel

Faith April 13, 2007 at 8:19 pm

I am ANXIOUS to see the movie. I am a big fan of “The X Files”.

I do hope in this one, I’ll get the chance to see Mulder and Scully finally do the LONG awaited Kiss.

Elizabeth Hatfield April 12, 2007 at 11:59 am

Its almost sad how excited I am at the prospect of a new movie for the X-Files.