Three Rivers and Cold Case: Up in the Ratings; Enough to Save Them?

Cold CaseFreshman medical drama Three Rivers and veteran Cold Case have been struggling since the start of the season. Last night, there was an increase in viewership. So, does that mean that they’re safe?

Three Rivers revolves around a group of physicians and their support staff who help needy patients get life-saving organ transplants. The series stars Alex O’Loughlin, Katherine Moennig, Daniel Henney, Justina Machado, Christopher Hanke, Amber Clayton, and Alfre Woodard.

Cold Case follows a team of Philadelphia police detectives who work to solve long-unsolved murders. The venerable drama features Kathryn Morris, Danny Pino, John Finn, Jeremy Ratchford, Thom Barry, and Tracie Thoms.

As many fans of these shows are well aware, the series have been struggling in the ratings.

The first six installments of Three Rivers averaged a poor 1.8 in the 18-49 demographic and 7.93 million total viewers. Last night, the numbers bumped up a bit to a 2.0 rating and 8.45 million viewers. While that’s an increase of 10%, the numbers are still not good. The series is unlikely to be saved from cancellation but word is that the network is considering ordering up to five additional installments.

The situation is similar for Cold Case. While the veteran crime drama will still likely air a full season of 22 episodes, it’s very unlikely to return for 2010-11.

Likely because they have nothing to lose, CBS execs are changing up the schedule a bit for next week, says THR. Cold Case will air at 9pm and Three Rivers will get the 10pm slot.

In the past, Cold Case has performed well with a strong lead-in and this change will give it a better lead-in with The Amazing Race. The 10pm timeslot is a bit less competitive so that might help Three Rivers. Or conversely, the move might confuse viewers and both shows could sink lower in the ratings.

What do you think? Is this a good move for Three Rivers and Cold Case or more like “rearranging the deck chairs on the Titantic?”

Merry Anne Hess December 13, 2009 at 6:52 pm

I agree with the person earlier…FOOTBALL IS SCREWING UP OUR PROGRAMS

COLD CASE & THREE RIVERS ARE RIVETING, WELL ACTED, WELL WRITTEN & TWO OF THE BEST PROGRAMS ON TELEVISION…..

KEEP COLD CASE & BRING BACK THREE RIVERS

Yolanda C. Domingo December 9, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Dear CBS, Management, Producers and Directors and the CEO of CBS:

I am a heart transplant recipient. I received a heart transplant over 9-1/2 years ago. I truly was heartfelt when I viewed the FIRST episode of Three Rivers. I felt that “it’s about time” that the television stations are thinking about real life shows that really support a cause for the human race; and that is being given a “Second Chance at Life”. Three Rivers has been a very “real” television episode which has allowed viewers to feel emotion, care, concern and know what a life-saving decision organ donation is and the positive aspects it brings.

Organ Donation has saved my life and I truly think it is a “BIG MISTAKE” for CBS to take Three Rivers off of the network. During a time when America is not doing well at all, Three Rivers gives the sense of Hope, Love, and Concern for one another. It allows people to “come together” to provide “quality of life” to others that are not able to on their own. So, as a volunteer and an advocate for organ donation, I truly hope and pray that CBS will RE-CONSIDER this decision to take Three Rivers off the air. I think it is a bad decision. Give people hope and know that there are second chances at life……I’m living proof!!! Think About It!!! and Make the Change….

Aloha,
Yolanda C. Domingo
Heart Recipient-Mother’s Day 2000

“In Honor of my Donor-”STEVEN M. GINOZA”
My ohana and I will be forever grateful for the Gift of Life…

Tee December 5, 2009 at 9:59 pm

These are the only two show I watch on Sunday !! I’ve watched Cold case from the begining and Three Rivers too. I don’t watch The Amazing race and there really isn’t anything else to watch after football other than Cold Case and Three Rivers. Don’t get me wrong these are 2 really good shows. My family loves Three Rivers we watch it Together. I have a hard time getting involved in new show because you never know when their gonna get canceled. I always seem to like those ones. Don’t cancel these shows I won’t have anything to watch , on regular TV anymore !!!! Thank God for Cable !

Elaine November 28, 2009 at 9:58 pm

Crystal, Good Observation, I agree, with you.

Crystal November 27, 2009 at 3:09 pm

These Sunday shows are great!! It’s Sunday night football that is screwing everything up. You can’t watch something when you never know when its going to be on! Keep these shows (and bring back THE UNIT), just straghten up the times. If football is going to go over, put something on to fill in the odd time so that these shows can either start on the hour or half hour.

Donna November 25, 2009 at 4:26 pm

I love both of them but end of missing them to the overtime of the football game – I have changed my dvr to try catching both but it seems when the football game runs over the dvr records the amazing race and then cold case and sometimes not all of cold case. I believe these shows would do better if you didn’t have to quess what time they will start due to football game running late.

Deborah January 28, 2010 at 6:38 am

I agree with Donna. I miss Cold Case but can not sustain staying awake after watching football. I think now that football season has came to an end the ratings for Cold Case will go up. I vote to move Cold Case to Thursday night at 8:00. CBS should consider retiring Survior the show is boring and same-ole-same ole and I have not watched it in years.

Alexia November 24, 2009 at 11:41 pm

Three Rivers is getting better and better with each episode. It is annoying that the football game runs over and causes every show to come on at a delayed time. I think the best thing they can do for Three rivers is move it to another day. but if they don’t I will continue to watch I love the cast especially Alex o Loughlin. The show deserves a chance, give it time.

Jacquie November 23, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Please don’t cancel Three Rivers. It is a great show! It is so refreshing from the CSI

Sharon November 23, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Please don’t cancel Three Rivers. It’s a really good show, the regular characters are becoming people you care about and the weeky stories definitely showcase characters that tug at your hearstrings. Move it to a better timeslot.

Pam H November 23, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Three rivers needs to be moved to a timeslot that won’t be moved due to football. I set my PVR to catch it, and I missed half of it. Move it to Monday nights at 9pm – that woould be perfect! Don’t cancel it!!! Please???

Christina November 23, 2009 at 10:05 am

Please do not cancel Three Rivers, it has such great potential. Move it to another night and at least give it a chance!

Terri November 22, 2009 at 9:49 pm

Football always messes Sunday night up. I end up dvr-ing everything through 10:30 so I don’t miss the ending of Three Rivers and Cold Case. Also dvr Showtime from 8-9:30.

I think Three Rivers is worth saving. It started pretty bad, but has gotten more interesting in the last few episodes. I just wish it was on a different night, not after football and not opposite Dexter. Every single non-news show that I watch is on Sunday night.

There was no “stay tuned for scenes from the next episode” after Three Rivers tonight. Please tell me it hasn’t been cancelled already!

arlene November 22, 2009 at 9:41 pm

I THINK THREE RIVERS IS GREAT AND IT HAS OPENED MY EYES AS TO HOW IMPORTANT ORGAN TRANSPLANTS CAN BE. MANDY PATINCANS(SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING) PERFORMANCE ON LAST WEEKS SHOW DESERVES AN EMMY NODE. MADE ME CRY

Bill November 22, 2009 at 8:57 pm

I also have watched Cold Case from the beginning. I am not a fan of any professional sport (i.e., overpaid entertainers) and feel the network should use its clout to have entertainment including commentators stick to the schedule, that’s why it is called a schedule.

Laura November 22, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Three Rivers is a great show, and should be given a chance. Most people in the demographic of 18-49 dont watch a lot of tv on sunday night.. Instead of moving them to 10pm. the should be moved to a better night at a better time