Three Rivers: Cancelled TV Show to Return (for a little while)

three rivers tv showOne of the earliest casualties of the 2009-10 season, Three Rivers was pulled after eight episodes. There’s now word that the TV show’s coming back but fans shouldn’t get too excited.

The CBS medical drama, which stars Alex O’Loughlin, Katherine Moennig, Daniel Henney, Justina Machado, Christopher Hanke, Amber Clayton, and Alfre Woodard, got off to a slow start in the ratings when it debuted back in October. Viewership dropped as the weeks went on and it very quickly looked like a candidate for early cancellation.

CBS pulled Three Rivers in December and expressed no plans to order any additional episodes. Then, in January, the network officially cancelled the show.

Members of the cast have moved on to other projects and O’Loughlin will be starring in the new Hawaii Five-0 series next fall. Perhaps CBS wants to make sure that viewers don’t forget about O’Loughlin because they’ve now scheduled the final episodes of Three Rivers.

The five unaired episodes of Three Rivers will start to run on Saturday, June 5th, at 8pm. The series finale is scheduled to air on July 3rd.

Interestingly, The CW recently announced plans to run O’Loughlin’s last CBS series, Moonlight, on Thursday nights throughout the summer. They start Thursday, June 3rd.

It’s certainly an odd set of circumstances. The actor just may be the first person to have two cancelled shows running concurrently on different networks.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear that the final episodes of Three Rivers will see the light of day?

vmissvickie April 7, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Bring THREE RIVERS back!!!!

Nicole June 19, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I’m saddened that Three Rivers didn’t make it :( LOVED the show!

Cheyrl May 16, 2012 at 10:51 am

my whole family loves the river. We can not waite for it to come back. We are soooo happy it is coming back. WE WANT MORE!!!!!

Jessica February 23, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I just finished the first season on netflix and fell in love with this show! I was very disappointed to find out that the show was cancelled only after the first season. I miss this show already and the stars in this show did a fantastic job! Please bring this show back. I will buy every season!!

Sherri March 2, 2011 at 11:48 am

I loved this show to please bring it back we miss it.

berdie January 12, 2011 at 10:25 pm

omg this was a great show~ i beleive you just had it on the wrong day and time~ it’s too bad great acting and it is about real life_BUMMER!!!!

snavec January 11, 2011 at 11:01 am

I think that the show should come back, I better understand the steps that are taken. My father was a organ donor and now I can see the benefits from it. Please keep the show it is very entertaining but also educational too. It also helps the families with a little bit of closure.

Theresa December 2, 2010 at 3:18 pm

i really enjoyed watching this show because its nice to see people benefiting from those who are willing to donate their organs. having a sister who donated her organs so it really hit home. i would really like to see it come back!

Tt December 2, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Bobbie September 29, 2010 at 10:14 am

I wish moonlight would return … you would be amazed @ your ratings if u did!

Colleen September 14, 2010 at 5:28 pm

I think it is very sad that this show is not coming back. It really was very good. I enjoyed watching it very much. It looks like all the hospital shows from this past season have been canceled. It is a shame because all of them were so much better then some of the other shows that they keep on the air. It’s just a shame that this show is not coming back!!

Carolyn September 13, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Very happy to see the show return Love Alex. As I was the one to make the decision to allow my brain dead husband to become an organ donor, I can relate to the show . People need to see how organ donation is very rewarding.

Judi August 31, 2010 at 3:21 pm

I really hope they continue with this series i really enjoyed the story line at least give it some type of finale ending!

Sandy August 27, 2010 at 8:18 pm

I really liked this show. I only realized it was being canceled when I started seeing the promos for Hawaii Five-0. While excited to see Alex in his new show, I am disappointed that Three Rivers was canceled. I am enjoying seeing him in the reruns of Moonlight.