Three Rivers: Cancelled TV Show to Return (for a little while)

three rivers tv showOne of the earliest casualties of the 2009-10 season, Three Rivers was pulled after eight episodes. There’s now word that the TV show’s coming back but fans shouldn’t get too excited.

The CBS medical drama, which stars Alex O’Loughlin, Katherine Moennig, Daniel Henney, Justina Machado, Christopher Hanke, Amber Clayton, and Alfre Woodard, got off to a slow start in the ratings when it debuted back in October. Viewership dropped as the weeks went on and it very quickly looked like a candidate for early cancellation.

CBS pulled Three Rivers in December and expressed no plans to order any additional episodes. Then, in January, the network officially cancelled the show.

Members of the cast have moved on to other projects and O’Loughlin will be starring in the new Hawaii Five-0 series next fall. Perhaps CBS wants to make sure that viewers don’t forget about O’Loughlin because they’ve now scheduled the final episodes of Three Rivers.

The five unaired episodes of Three Rivers will start to run on Saturday, June 5th, at 8pm. The series finale is scheduled to air on July 3rd.

Interestingly, The CW recently announced plans to run O’Loughlin’s last CBS series, Moonlight, on Thursday nights throughout the summer. They start Thursday, June 3rd.

It’s certainly an odd set of circumstances. The actor just may be the first person to have two cancelled shows running concurrently on different networks.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear that the final episodes of Three Rivers will see the light of day?

Judy June 25, 2010 at 8:51 pm

I loved the show, was disappointed when it was cancelled and delighted when it returned. Disappointed again to learn that it is only temporarily back. I agree that in addition to the fast pace, it presents a good case for the need for organ donation and also realistically depicts the feelings of patients who are waiting for an organ.

Shell June 25, 2010 at 6:54 am

I am so glad that it is back on and I am sad that it is only for a short time.

Lori June 22, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Yes. I think it is a good show! I think why it had problems with viewers is because the day of the week that they had it running!!! Regardless, thank you for bringing it back!!

Kelly June 22, 2010 at 12:41 pm

I love Three Rivers and I’m so happy they are showing the rest of the episodes. I was pretty upset when I heard this show was cancelled. I don’t think it was given a chance. I love Alex O’Loughlin, he is a good actor and VERY nice to look at. I’m so glad Moonlight is back for the summer!! Another one of my favorite shows.

Rose June 22, 2010 at 11:54 am

I’m truly happy to see the new remaining episodes but disappointed that I won’t be seeing more. I wish CBS gave it a chance and really promote the heck out of it before giving up on it. Please bring it back!!!

JoAnn June 22, 2010 at 9:22 am

Very happy that the show is back on, even if only for s short time. I Loved this show, and was so sorry to hear it was cancelled. It had a bad start in the fall with football, and never on when it was scheduled to be on.

Judy albright June 20, 2010 at 3:54 pm

I really enjoy the show and was very happy to see that it is back. I think it is a shame that they are cancelling the show. I believe people need shows like this to show them what really goes on when it comes to organ donation and how important it is. I am also looking forward to hawaii five-o. I think the lead actor in this series is a good actor and I think he will do wonderful in his new role.

Elisa Ramli June 20, 2010 at 7:36 am

Funny thing…… My mother always told me to finish what I have started…. Whatever the rating is, at least u should give an end to a movie series, u dont just cancelled it like that. Fine… I know rating is everything but give the closure to the story like they got married and live happily ever after or they both die or one of them die and the other move on their life….. we just need a closure, thats all. So we wont be wandering, waiting, hoping and lost… ( Fans of Moonlight Series ) ^_^

Bekki June 19, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Everytime a new show comes out that I like they cancel it. I loved this show and am glad that they are showing what ever they have left. CBS has to many reality shows and I am sick of them. Three Riviers was something different something new and I wish they would keep it. This show taught about things that were important like organ donation.

Lili Feldman June 19, 2010 at 12:16 am

Friends ~ This is the time to join forces and watch this deserving TV show. We don’t know what “they” may do. CBS doesn’t want a hit show? Let’s show them numbers! Thanks!

Carol June 19, 2010 at 6:20 am

When I heard that the series was cancelled it, I cried. I like it because of the focus on the benefits of transplant and it was not as much a soap opera as some of the other medical themed shoes.

Courtney June 16, 2010 at 7:24 pm

This is the most creative medical show in a while. They should keep it. It is a great way to make the public aware of the need for organ donation!!!!

Nancy June 18, 2010 at 7:44 pm

I completely agree!! I’m so disappointed to learn that the show is cancelled. I will watch any/all episodes airing this summer!!

Lili Feldman June 22, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Nancy ~ they are showing it right now. You know that right? Saturday nights.

Jennifer June 15, 2010 at 9:23 pm

I love this show and I’m glad its back but sad that it won’t be for long. I also was very sad that Moonlight was canceled. I wish they would both go on …

francisse June 13, 2010 at 8:51 pm

wow. I’m so glad i stillhad the series recorded.! I love that show!

Carol June 12, 2010 at 2:27 pm

glad to hear Three Rivers is back on but did not know that it started

Lili Feldman June 10, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Alex O’Loughlin is a terrific actor. But he seems to be unavailable now. I would vote for
Richard T. Jones, from Judging Amy days. Also a gifted actor. I vote to bring back Three Rivers full steam ahead,with Richard T.Jones, if Mr. O’Loughlin is unavailable.