Three Rivers: Cancelled TV Show to Return (for a little while)

three rivers tv showOne of the earliest casualties of the 2009-10 season, Three Rivers was pulled after eight episodes. There’s now word that the TV show’s coming back but fans shouldn’t get too excited.

The CBS medical drama, which stars Alex O’Loughlin, Katherine Moennig, Daniel Henney, Justina Machado, Christopher Hanke, Amber Clayton, and Alfre Woodard, got off to a slow start in the ratings when it debuted back in October. Viewership dropped as the weeks went on and it very quickly looked like a candidate for early cancellation.

CBS pulled Three Rivers in December and expressed no plans to order any additional episodes. Then, in January, the network officially cancelled the show.

Members of the cast have moved on to other projects and O’Loughlin will be starring in the new Hawaii Five-0 series next fall. Perhaps CBS wants to make sure that viewers don’t forget about O’Loughlin because they’ve now scheduled the final episodes of Three Rivers.

The five unaired episodes of Three Rivers will start to run on Saturday, June 5th, at 8pm. The series finale is scheduled to air on July 3rd.

Interestingly, The CW recently announced plans to run O’Loughlin’s last CBS series, Moonlight, on Thursday nights throughout the summer. They start Thursday, June 3rd.

It’s certainly an odd set of circumstances. The actor just may be the first person to have two cancelled shows running concurrently on different networks.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear that the final episodes of Three Rivers will see the light of day?

Canceled and renewed TV show

110 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Brenda says

I am sad if the show is over, I am in the medical field and loved it. It truely was up there with ER and House

2. Tiffa y says

i hate that it gas been cancled because ive watche it from the beginning. so unfair i thing the producers need to rethink their decision and put it back on the air

3. Donna DeBoe says

please bring this show back , it showed great moral standards that more medical people should try to apply to real life its about people and what it takes to do whatever is needed and not always about what the “rules” say …….at any rate it was a wonderful show I never missed an episode

4. Hannah says

Bring it back!!! Bring it back!!! Bring it back!!! Bring it back!!! Bring it back!!! Bring it back!!! Bring it back!!! Bring it back!!! Bring it back!!! Bring it back!!! Bring it back!!! Bring it back!!! Bring it back!!! Bring it back!!! Bring it back!!!

5. Mary Ann W says

Really sorry that CBS has decided to cancel Three Rivers. I could not wait to watch it from week to week. One of the best shows you have run lately. Please bring it back!!

6. Cathy Q says

Three Rivers was a great show and I loved all the actors. Most important, however, is that it highlighted organ donation. CBS – what gives!!??

7. Lili Feldman says

Until it comes back, there is a good alternative in Boston Medical. It is reality at the Boston hospital of true medical crisis. Transplants and all. No scripts. Just true life. You can’t argue with that!

8. Vicki Davis says

I truly loved Moonlighting and Three Rivers. I don’t understand why they didn’t give the show a real chance to survive. I don’t understand why CBS didn’t give the show a chance. I’m so tired of the reality shows and watching rich people act inmature just for them to become richer.

9. Sandy Clarke says

Finally you have a show that IS NOT filled with scantily dressed bimbos and laced with profanity about things that are so far removed from real life issues and you take it off the air. It figures. By the way it is the reason that the regular networks are losing viewers.
    This show had the capability to educate people and raise awareness about organ donation. What a shame that you would rather show 1/2 hour sit coms that make a mockery of traditional family values, respect for others and doing the right thing. No wonder we are in the state we are in here in the US of A.
    Before Three Rivers I had sworn off CBS, but gave it another try. I am done now.

10. Janet Wilkinson says

Sorry to hear Three Rivers was cancelled. I loved it and would like to see it continue. Love Alex!! Just when it was getting good it was yanked!!!

11. Em says

I don’t know how I missed Three Rivers when it debuted, but I liked the 3 episodes that I got to see this summer. CBS should have given it more of a chance. Networks pull shows off the air TOO quickly.

12. Tammy Pitt says

I am so sorry that this show has been cancelled. I LOVED it!!! Hope it can continue maybe with some different characters to replace the AWESOME actors we have lost. Maybe they could come back to visit every once in a while

13. Sharon says

Three Rivers was cancelled just when it was getting good. Shows like this will inspire more people to be organ donors. Bring it back!

14. Jake says

I just got into Three Rivers a little over a month ago. I found it to be very thought provoking but not “Preaching” It really made the viewer think on a different level about morals and ethics. Very disapointed that CBS cancelled it. Perhaps CBS and the rest tof he Major Networks should have people with integrity and consciences making these choices.