‘Til Death: FOX Sitcom Cancelled, No Season Five

Til DeathLaunching a new series these days can be really tough. It either hits really big, or you’re out. FOX’s ‘Til Death got more chances than most but the axe has finally swung. The network confirmed today that it was indeed cancelling the show.

‘Til Death debuted on FOX back in 2006 with veteran sitcom stars Brad Garrett (Everybody Loves Raymond) and Joely Fisher (Ellen). They play Eddie and Joy, an “old married couple,” who have annoyingly optimistic newlywed neighbors, the Woodcocks (Eddie Kaye Thomas and Kat Foster).

Each subsequent season then seemed to change its focus. The second season brought in a new character, Kenny (J.B. Smoove), Eddie’s friend from the Big Brother program. The next season had Kenny moving in with Eddie and Joy. Season four brought their daughter (Lindsey Broad, then Kate Micucci) and her boyfriend/husband (Timm Sharp) as they moved into a trailer in Eddie and Joy’s backyard.

Truthfully, the series has never been a ratings hit, but FOX kept it because of the economy of putting it on the air. Sony Pictures TV gave the network a big break on the license fee so that the studio could keep producing episodes to build the syndication package.

Which "version" of 'Til Death is the best?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The show’s ratings have fallen so low recently that many have wondered how FOX could afford to keep it on the air, even with the deal from Sony. Garrett, with his typical deadpan delivery, told Zap2It, “The other night, we got a 0.9 … Once your mom stops watching, you’re a 0.4″ He told the network if they gave him another month, he could take it down to a zero. Not surprisingly, there was dead silence on the other end.

Garrett says the others that were involved in the show have already moved on to other projects, “After year two, when you’re getting beat by Telemundo, it’s time to go home. I mean, even the show my housekeeper watches was beating the show that was paying her salary. I’d come in the room, and she’d quickly turn off Telemundo.”

FOX has since officially confirmed that, after 80 installments, the sitcom has been cancelled. Episodes will continue to air as scheduled with the last installment running on May 9th. Because FOX has frequently used ‘Til Death as filler, 37 episodes will have aired this season by the time it’s over. Most of the installments are from this season while others are holdovers.

For Garrett, he’s not sure what’s next for him. He wouldn’t mind another series, but admits it could take him awhile to commit to one again. He says ‘Til Death was a learning experience, as the show ended up being very different than how it was originally been presented to him. He said, “What this last experience did was to make me more picky than ever.”

What do you think? Are you sorry to see that the show’s finally been cancelled? Do you think changing the focus and cast helped or hurt ‘Til Death? Which version is your favorite?

dustin mcdonald May 20, 2010 at 7:56 am

This was one of the WORST shows ever. Fox is a terrible network anyway, but I’m shocked it made it past the pilot. And sitcoms on CBS seem to last forever, even though most if not all aren’t funny unless you’re a moron[such shows like big bang theory,everybody loves raymond,king of queens, two and a half men,how I met your mother,etc]Really anyone that could stand to watch anything on that network must really not understand comedy/formula. I think it’s funny that a show like “How I met your mother” speaks of “Douches” yet the show features the biggest on televison.Modern Family and everything for NBC thursday nights are a lot funnier and thats not my opinion its just common knowledge.

jeff May 16, 2010 at 2:11 pm

To this day, I think Brad Garrett had a say in the “ending of the Woodcocks or departure” I can completely picture that self absorbed ass worrying that those actors were getting too many laughs. Everytime he appears on any award show… he has to let the world know that “he was the funny one” on Raymond.

I stopped watching the show after the Woodcocks (actors) left the show…….. Maybe Garrett will learn from this….

Robert May 9, 2010 at 6:40 pm

This was a funny sitcom at times. I hated the new actresses though. That’s what ruined it for me. They had one really hot actress as Ally and the others were just bad. The newer supporting actors also weren’t very good. It just went to far from the original idea.

Michael Wiles April 26, 2010 at 9:12 am

Gald to see this one go. The fathers c onstan belittling of the live in BF and the negativity of the characters wasn’t funny. It was just sad. Like “Rosanne” sad without the interesting actors.

Phil April 25, 2010 at 6:06 pm

I liked the woodcocks. They way both couples played off each other was great. Kenny was a ton of laughs then the show got weird. the constant change of neighbors was stupid Gilbert come on that was not even funny then again they gave up by then.

cathy April 21, 2010 at 5:23 pm

I loved this show. Too bad FOx didn’t give this show much of a chance. Perhaps giving Till Death a time,,not 7 pm and night would help.. Bring back the Woodcocks.

Anonymous April 12, 2010 at 8:48 pm

What a great show ! Ill miss it =(

Anonymous April 11, 2010 at 10:29 pm

I really liked the show I was always waiting for the next one. The only thing i didn’t like was the constant change of Ally (the daughter).

Bertie April 11, 2010 at 6:07 pm

I actually love this show. They certainly could have been more stable with the cast. But Brad Garret and Jolie are hysterical. However, I am a Brad Garret fan, I love anything he does!

Jesse April 11, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Fox ruined ‘Til Death. It was such a great show for the first 2 seasons. It went from being one of the best shows Fox had to offer (IMO) to basically the worst now.

Rhee Slaton April 4, 2010 at 8:14 pm

This is one show that my husband & I will NEVER miss! All our friends love it & we are SHOCKED to see it end! Brad Garrett & Jolie Fisher are the best comedy team in a long time! So very fresh! Can it not be petitioned?! FOX is the one great network & we are blown away! This is REAL & ANYONE can RELATE to it! Shame on FOX!

undisclosed April 2, 2010 at 5:46 pm

I liked the show in the beginning. I think it never recovered following the writers strike. A lot of the writing and material had really gone south. The show was done by the people who gave us ‘The King of Queens’, and often re-hashed story lines from that series. The show started to show some promise with new characters, but the mediocre writing indicated the show was just hanging on. Glad to see it was finally put to a rest. I wanted to laugh like I once did at this show, but alas there was nothing left to laugh about.

Eric March 29, 2010 at 10:57 am

This show was pretty good with the Woodcocks, (heh, you said woodcock) but I love the way they stuck it to the network after they changed it.
They know it’s the final season so they swapped the daughter like 3 times, started talking to the audience (hilarious), and even hired out a cartoonist.

Take that Fox. Ruin a good show and see what they can do out of spite.

Chris April 1, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Yes, I love the fact they are just going for broke. Too bad we only have until May on this one. I thought it was funny as hell when they changed the actress who plays the daughter! Genius. Great cast, good chemistry. Horrible time slot. Good luck, Brad and company!

Bill Feinberg March 28, 2010 at 4:52 pm

I loved the Woodcocks because of the wife. She is so hot and sexy!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff March 27, 2010 at 5:29 am

Thanks for the input on the Woodcocks, Adam. I also agree with you about Rules of Engagement. It turned out to be one of the better programs as of late, comedy wise that is. I always liked the Puddy character on Seinfeld and his dry and wry sense of humor shines through on this show. David Slade ain’t to bad either. I do believe that the networks, more than half the time, have no clue as to what we fans find funny or interesting.

The rating system they depend on in my opinion is flawed. Not spread out enough, maybe. I just know that programs like Life, Shark and Life on Mars were never given a fighting chance. Shark, especially! Because on this crap I started collecting TV DVD boxed sets about 4 years ago. I now have 1321 individual boxed sets. From Seinfeld and Mash to Mission Impossible to Criminal Minds. From all the Star Treks to all the Stargates. Right now I am up to 127 complete different series. Like all 11 seasons of Mash and I now have 12 of the 14 seasons of Dallas. I did not remember Dallas being on for that long. Season 13 coming on April 13. 207 partial programs. And looking for 142 more names that don’t have the first season out yet.

I found a website that has all the programs ever made from 1947 until the present by year. I scoured this list and came up with about 500 of the approximate 5-6000 programs listed that I wanted in my collection. I am 63, retired and partially disabled and watch a lot of TV. Will I ever run out of things to watch. I think not. So the major networks better get their act together before I just give up and slowly sink into oblivion with all my precious TV DVD boxed sets!!!

Donn April 22, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Jeff,

If it’s not too much trouble, please tell me the website you referred to that has TV programs beginning with 1947.

Thanks, Donn