Touch: Cancelled; No Season Three for FOX Series

Touch canceled, no season threeMaybe Kiefer Sutherland will be available for that 24 movie now. FOX has cancelled Touch after two seasons on the air.

Though Touch’s ratings were on the decline last season, FOX renewed it for another round anyway. They slated it for Friday nights, likely figuring that it would improve on Fringe’s dismal ratings. It didn’t work out that way and Touch has been doing even worse.

The current season of Touch has been averaging just a 0.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 2.68 million total viewers. Those are terrible numbers, even for a Friday night show. Kitchen Nightmares, which also runs on that night, has averaged a 1.1 in the demo and 3.13 million.

This Friday’s episode, titled “Leviathan,” will be Touch’s 26th and final installment. Hopefully the producers have included some closure for the die-hard fans.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Touch has been cancelled and won’t get a third season?

Kim May 11, 2013 at 12:33 pm

The networks need to catch up to the world as it is…it no longer matters what night a show is aired. If people find a show worth watching they WILL watch– when it’s aired on the network’s site, on Hulu or DVR it–they will watch it at their leisure. Are these numbers being taken into account when deciding whether to cancel a show? They should be–that IS how Americans watch TV now and will continue to be in the future.

That being said, Touch still may have been cancelled due to the fact that a viewer needs intelligence & insight to understand and truly appreciate this show as well as apply the meanings delivered weekly to their own life. Unfortunately, it seems like more and more people prefer the numbing mindlessness of reality TV as opposed to watching a show they have to think about and open their minds for. And then we wonder why our culture is in a downward spiral and getting worse with each generation.

Kat Martell May 11, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I echo the sadness of the other fans of the show. However, historically, network TV has always opted to appealing to the lowest common denominator (reality TV). Most quality shows have been cancelled because they appeal to thinking, feeling, intelligent people or, in other words, the minority. Also, I have to admit that Kiefer sometimes annoyed me with his breathlessness and his whispering. In searching the internet, it seems that I was not the only annoyed fan. In summary, this was a excellent show with a strong first season, a weaker second season (where it lost most of its fans) and a wonderful message. Unfortunately, until we change the viewing habits of the unthinking majority, any such future shows are doomed for cancellation.

DD May 11, 2013 at 10:25 am

The first season I was hooked on this great concept that someone that seemed autistic and non-verbal could make such a positive impact on people’s lives with his special abilities. It seemed somewhat realistic with the exceptional abilities that we underestimate in those around us that seem to be incapable. Jake was powerful; as was his father. Me and my daughter had a Thursday date every week it was on last season. This season got a little dark, but was still intriguing enough that my daughter and I had our date on Friday’s. I cannot believe more people did not become hooked on this capturing story. My only true sadness was that Lucy was killed. I hope someone has the good sense to go ahead with another season with more of the positive things Jake can continue to do in this world; and remind us of the positive things we can all do. Reminded me of the power of the book the Five People You meet in Heaven!!

Michael and Mary Calton May 11, 2013 at 10:22 am

It never ceases to amaze me. The collective American intellect has again plumbed the depths of crass stupidity by rejecting yet another show where they may have to reason a tiny bit . Reality shows are(not will be ) and should be the final death nil of Network TV. So many good shows have been passed over , pandering to the cretin in the American psyche. Yeah, It works in Politics too. Well, Goodbye touch,…goodbye Fringe.

Isabella May 11, 2013 at 10:16 am

Of course I am very mad and disappointed Touch was cancelled, it was my favorite shoe ever to watch on Friday, i looked forward to it every time, i hope they air it again, i love it too much to leave it hanging like this

Holi May 11, 2013 at 10:16 am

I wish they could have found a way to keep the show alive. The show had meaning a purpose which left me with a desire to see more… So what’s next for Sutherland…

Gary Stueber May 11, 2013 at 9:46 am

Bad Decision… This show is more enlightening and educational than your decision to cancel. I travel to Romania 3 x a year and I know of so many people that watch it there
Please reconsider your decision

Irene May 11, 2013 at 9:22 am

The first season of Touch was much better than the second. It was more whimsical and hopeful, with subplots like the one with the Middle Eastern boy who got an oven for his family, the man who lost his phone with his dead child’s last photos, only to see them broadcast all over the square in Tokyo, and the darling Japanese girls who sent the cell phone around the world and wrote about it on their blog. Actually, a series could be made with intertwining stories like that and leave Kiefer out of it completely. Season 2 was more 24-esque, with Kiefer in full Jack Bauer mode, shouting at people to drop their weapons and so on. The evil corporation pursuing the boy with magic powers was a dark version of the 1990′s show “Alex Mack” on Nickelodeon.

Kat M May 11, 2013 at 9:15 am

Touch is a great show and the ending left us wanting more. So many things left unexplained.
Of course this is not the first time FOX has cut a show that it puts on a Friday night. I actually record the show and watch it later because (Thank God for DVR), Friday night is Date night–Family outing night–traveling night– the list could go on. Depending on whether or not you have children, their ages and so forth, Friday night has never been a sit down and watch TV night for us.
I am sure one of the reasons for the original drop in viewers is FOX’ delay in airing the second season when it was originally scheduled (October, then Nov). Advertising for months then just stopping, and waiting months longer before the show actually started. Come on, only die hard Sutherland fans would stay with it. Buy the time the show finally made it back on, most people forgot about it.
I am not sure who makes the decisions, but your decision making process leaves a lot to be desired.

Luci May 11, 2013 at 6:37 am

I am so upset that you are cancelling “Touch”. Many of my friends look forward to Friday to watch this extremely interesting show or they PVR it. Please reconsider!!!!

aria May 11, 2013 at 4:24 am

:( i really Love That Show … But they !@#$ed it up

aria May 11, 2013 at 4:22 am

YES I AM REALLY Soryy For FOX , That Cancelled Tocuh , I Really Like That …. But … :|
Why Did They Do That , That Was Really nice Serial , That was only Serial that i watch every week …. :|

George May 11, 2013 at 2:47 am

BULL SHIT! Fox sucks, I can only hope another network picks it up. Touch was a show of meaning and not mindless b.s.

Brenda May 11, 2013 at 2:38 am

I am really mad that Touch was canceled, it seems like every thing that is good get’s canceled. I hope that someone else will pick it up. I am starting to burn out with all the different cancellation’s of so many different series.

Stephanie Buchwald May 11, 2013 at 2:07 am

i am very disappointed to hear that the best show on TV is being canceled…..
Shame on you FOX ….. you give us a wonderful show just to yank it out from under us …
i agree with so many of the above comments, it gave people hope and insight , an inspiration to all……. why cancel the show? do a time slot shuffle and put it on a different night
( i would watch it any and every night to watch Touch)
i am so very disappointed…. i was so looking forward to a season 3 and more…