Touch: Season Two for Kiefer Sutherland Series

Touch on FOX renewedKiefer Sutherland (24) and FOX will continue their long relationship into next season. Touch, the actor’s newest TV series, has been renewed for a second season.

Touch follows the tale of Martin Bohm (Sutherland) and his struggle to connect with his young autistic son (David Mazouz), a boy who sees patterns that connect the people and events of the world. Other castmembers include Danny Glover, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, and Roxana Brusso.

The network took a gamble by giving Touch a special premiere in January, two months before the show would start airing regularly. The initial episode’s performance was solid with a 3.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 12.01 million total viewers. But, would that audience remember to tune in again in mid-March?

They did, or at least most of them did. Touch returned on Thursday, March 22nd to a 3.3 rating and 11.81 million. With American Idol as a strong lead-in, the show easily won its timeslot, more than doubling the demo of the number two-rated show, 30 Rock.

Should FOX have renewed Touch?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Compared to the first episode, the second episode of Touch dropped about 15% in the demo. The third installment fell another 18% and the fourth fell another 15% — to a 2.3 rating. The ratings for Touch have continued to dwindle over the course of the season and the April 26th episode fell to series lows with a 1.9 demo rating and 6.43 million total viewers.

On our FOX Ratings Report Card, Touch has a “B-” grade and a 2.6 demo average with 8.57 million. Based on the most recent numbers, those averages will continue to drop.

Had this been another year, Touch could have easily been cancelled instead of renewed. I suspect it was renewed because a) it’s produced by FOX and b) because the network’s other new dramas haven’t done any better. Terra Nova, Alcatraz, and The Finder have performed worse than Touch and won’t be back next season. Coupled with the fact that House is ending and Fringe will only return for 13 episodes, FOX is going to have plenty of timeslots to fill and it’s better to have at least one sophomore drama on the schedule than none.

FOX hasn’t said how many season two episodes have been ordered yet but, based on Touch’s performance, it seems likely that they’re just ordering 13 to start.

What do you think? Are you glad that Touch has been renewed for season two? Did FOX make the right choice or should they have cancelled Touch and renewed Terra Nova, Alcatraz or The Finder instead?

JACK BENNETT May 15, 2012 at 10:05 pm

THE TOUCH NEEDS TO HAVE JAKE COME ABOUT AND START TALKING ( SCRIPT
SOME FABRICATED MEDICAL MIRACLE) AND USE HIS MYSTICAL NUMBERS AND INTUITIVE GENIUS TO ALLOW HIM TO TEAM-UP WITH MARTIN TO SOLVE (OR MAYBE NOT BE ABLE TO SOLVE ) LIFE ‘S WORLD THREATENING DILEMMAS.
MARTIN SHOULD BE MORE AN ACTION HERO, MOTIVATED BY THE WISDOM AND ISIGHT OF HIS SON (YOU GET IT, “OUT OF THE MOUTH OF BABES” COMES UNIVERSAL AND COSMIC TRUTHS). MARTIN’S MORAL FIBER KEEPS HIM IN THE BATTLE, INTERPRETING HIS SON’S MYSTERIOUS ABILITY AS A”CALLING” THAT HE MUST FOLLOW. ALSO, RECOGNIZE THAT NOT EVERY EPISODE MUST HAVE CLOSURE. THE ACTION AND DRAMA CAN CARRY OVER FROM WEEK TO WEEK. IN TRUTH, THE MORE MARTIN BECOMES A JACK BOWER ACTION HERO MOTIVATED BY HIS RIGHTEOUS SON, THE MORE “THE TOUCH” WILL “TOUCH” A DEDICATED VIEWING AUDIENCE…AND THEY WONT HAVE TO KEEP VIEWING THAT REPETITIVE FOOLISH SCENE, “JAKE, JAKE JAAAAAAAKE”.

M.Moore May 11, 2013 at 2:54 am

This was the BEST show to hit TV in years….way ahead of it’s time. Spectacular writing and concept. Stupid and illogical to cancel this. I am disgusted! Someone put it out in hardcover please!

Sam May 13, 2012 at 5:00 pm

The Finder and Alcatraz were both top notch shows. Bring them BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amanda May 11, 2012 at 6:54 pm

I just watched The Finder finale, then looked up season 2 and was SO angry to see it was cancelled! It was an excellent show – as was Terra Nova – and I am baffled that they wouldn’t give either one a second season chance to take hold. I give up, Fox. Eveey time I get attached to a show (which is difficult to do in the first place) you cancel it in favor of crap. Touch was intriguing initially, but now it’s just silly. “I promise you I will follow your signs, Jake.” “Jaaaaaaake, NO! Jaaaaaaaaaake!” Ugh.

Critic I Am May 11, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I love Kiefer, and the actors are pretty good. But the dialogue and some of the scenes are so repetitive that it sometimes reminds me of a Saturday Night Live Spoof and I find myself laughing at the predictability of the lines and the chasing of the boy. Not to mention the lack of reality by the failure of the grownups to keep the kid close. They need better writers. The beauty of “24″ was the writing and twists and turns of the show. There were times when it could be repetitive too but the writing in “Touch” has been ridiculous and predictable too much of the time. It could be a good show, but if they keep the same writers it will probably die. I really hope they get new writers.

Anonymous May 10, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I love Touch! I hope they are not cancelling.

Sean May 10, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I enjoy watching Touch, glad they added another season. Needs to be a little less predictable.

mac May 10, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I can’t believe they cancelled Alcatraz. It makes you not even want to start watching a new show; as soon as they hook you, they decide to cancel and there is no closure. Another innovative show gone. I guess we’ll have to keep watching all the reality shows since this seems to be the only thing still on TV.

Kat May 10, 2012 at 11:44 am

Terra Nova was over the top fantastic with a ton of potential for next season, The Finder was fun and quirky, and Alcatraz was at least interesting. I watched all three of those shows, but Touch could not thrill(Terra Nova)/interest(Alcatraz)/entertain(The Finder) me. So this whole move is kind of dumb to me, but just the sort of thing I’d expect from FOX. They want to show Kiefer Sutherland that they’re in the Kiefer Sutherland business.

Greg May 10, 2012 at 8:26 am

Touch has gone over the hill for me. Kiefer is amazing, but watching Jack Bauer run around yelling “JAAAAKEEE!” and telling people “My son wants me to…..” is like watching Muhammed Ali clean toilets. Waste of talent – plus who cares what your son wants? If someone came up to me on the street and said “My retarded son wants me to help you” I’d tell them to take a hike and manage their kids better.

I quit watching last week and removed my season pass. Sorry Jack Bauer, you lost me at “My son sees the future”

Charles May 19, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Oh my oh my… 2 things:

1- Autism (asperger in Jake’s case) is not being retarded!! Most are likely to be more intelligent than you and me.

2- Jack Bauer is a character. He doesn’t exist. Kiefer Sutherland is an actor, who’s actually giving a much deeper interpretation and using his talent in a much better way than in 24. Kicking people’s asses has nothing to do with acting. Anybody can do that. That comment goes also for the ALL CAPS GUY above…

kelly May 10, 2012 at 1:35 am

i couldn’t watch Touch anymore. i was soooooo sick of hearing him yell “JAAAAAAKE!!!”

SF Junkie May 10, 2012 at 12:23 am

I like Touch but I much rather would have seen a second season of Alcatraz. Well better one of them then none. ;-((

John May 10, 2012 at 12:19 am

Love the show! Don’t miss it! Amazing messages!

Lastsamurai57 May 9, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Alcatraz fits my generation, I would have liked the 2nd season! Now we’re left with ; I wonder? Bummed!

Colin May 9, 2012 at 9:03 pm

when did they officially announce Alcatraz and The Finder won’t be back next season?

admin May 9, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Colin ยป The news came out tonight.

Colin May 9, 2012 at 10:21 pm

well that sucks :( especially The Finder getting canceled

Anonymous May 9, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Kiefer rocks! Would rather have 24 but he’s so good in Touch, it works and is a good concept. Some work could be done on the execution but overall a good show!