Touch: Season Two for Kiefer Sutherland Series

Touch on FOX renewedKiefer Sutherland (24) and FOX will continue their long relationship into next season. Touch, the actor’s newest TV series, has been renewed for a second season.

Touch follows the tale of Martin Bohm (Sutherland) and his struggle to connect with his young autistic son (David Mazouz), a boy who sees patterns that connect the people and events of the world. Other castmembers include Danny Glover, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, and Roxana Brusso.

The network took a gamble by giving Touch a special premiere in January, two months before the show would start airing regularly. The initial episode’s performance was solid with a 3.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 12.01 million total viewers. But, would that audience remember to tune in again in mid-March?

They did, or at least most of them did. Touch returned on Thursday, March 22nd to a 3.3 rating and 11.81 million. With American Idol as a strong lead-in, the show easily won its timeslot, more than doubling the demo of the number two-rated show, 30 Rock.

Should FOX have renewed Touch?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Compared to the first episode, the second episode of Touch dropped about 15% in the demo. The third installment fell another 18% and the fourth fell another 15% — to a 2.3 rating. The ratings for Touch have continued to dwindle over the course of the season and the April 26th episode fell to series lows with a 1.9 demo rating and 6.43 million total viewers.

On our FOX Ratings Report Card, Touch has a “B-” grade and a 2.6 demo average with 8.57 million. Based on the most recent numbers, those averages will continue to drop.

Had this been another year, Touch could have easily been cancelled instead of renewed. I suspect it was renewed because a) it’s produced by FOX and b) because the network’s other new dramas haven’t done any better. Terra Nova, Alcatraz, and The Finder have performed worse than Touch and won’t be back next season. Coupled with the fact that House is ending and Fringe will only return for 13 episodes, FOX is going to have plenty of timeslots to fill and it’s better to have at least one sophomore drama on the schedule than none.

FOX hasn’t said how many season two episodes have been ordered yet but, based on Touch’s performance, it seems likely that they’re just ordering 13 to start.

What do you think? Are you glad that Touch has been renewed for season two? Did FOX make the right choice or should they have cancelled Touch and renewed Terra Nova, Alcatraz or The Finder instead?

cherokee March 27, 2013 at 7:14 pm

very good series. not a fluff piece. have to watch and watch all the events, because there is clues everywhere. try another time slot than Friday at eight central, maybe seven central.

doctad February 21, 2013 at 10:03 pm

I liked “Alcatraz” and cannot understand why the show could not have been moved to a different time slot. I liked “Touch” but liked “Alcatraz” better.

Marilyn January 14, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Next to Fringe, this is the best series ever … so many reasons. No trouble skipping Idol, or anything else for that matter.

Brooke May 13, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Yes I agree, it’s the best!! :)

touch#1fan December 17, 2012 at 1:21 am

I am super happy it got renewed. This is one of the best shows i’ve seen in a long time its so different from other shows and refreshing. I actually caught it on netflix for the first time. I started watching at about 10p.m one night and didn’t go to sleep until 6:39a.m the next day I watched about 10 episodes back to back thats how great it is! I’m tired of all these reality shows,doctor shows and law shows. I love tv that forces me to think outside the box or think period (laugh out loud). I can’t wait to see whats next for Jake and Mr. Bohm. Thank you so much for bringing the show back.

elyse May 13, 2013 at 9:05 am

I agree. I try to watch every episode.

elyse May 13, 2013 at 9:08 am

I enjoy watching this series and I hope fox doesn’t cancel.

John and Nancy December 17, 2012 at 12:41 am

We’ve enjoyed watching this new series on DVD and hope it continues.

June December 5, 2012 at 9:55 am

I am so happy the Good decison was made to bring back this Awesome Show! Anxiously Waiting!!!

lynn December 3, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Touch is one of the greatest new shows ever! It helps people look deep into the minds of autistic kids and it shows how brilliant they really are! Love it Love it Love it! Please bring it back soon!

lonnie bank December 1, 2012 at 10:48 pm

One of only two regular TV shows I watch. Best series I’ve enjoyed and glad of it’s
return in 2013. The stars (all of them) are perfect!

Patti Norman November 28, 2012 at 3:00 pm

This is a great show. As in any series, it is best watched from the very beginning. I think it is brilliant. Everything is connected to everything else. We have been trained to believe differently. So, really great show. Thanks!

Daniel November 26, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Best show I have ever seen! Definitely hooked. This is why I pay for netflix. I had no Idea this show existed. They should renew it for more than just a second season. I think it is a tough plot to advertise and to get people to watch. It should be advertised better. Cant wait for season 2.

Anonymous November 12, 2012 at 11:50 am

Awesome show!

Wendy western October 22, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Love the show! We finally have a show with a different twist and I have thoroughly enjoyed it! It would be a big mistake to cancel it!

LeRoy October 14, 2012 at 6:12 pm

this show has intregued me and hope it continues. enjoyed it. thanks.

Susan October 13, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Touch has turned out to be excellent story and I’m looking forward to Season 2. It’s fascinating how the show combines drama, numerology, spirituality, adventure and shows how we are all connected all over the globe and how we should accept everyone or folks like Jake as who they are and learn from one another. Please keep it on and I’ll alert my friends, family to watch and see for themselves.

Lorrie and Michael Davis October 9, 2012 at 11:47 pm

I am SO glad they are renewing the series and hope they will keep it going as long as House and other long running great series. I was HOOKED on touch the very first show! I record every show and don’t miss an episode! I am looking forward to season two but am confused because there was one episode in September that was a new episode but I haven’t seen anymore episode since. Did they decide to cancel it afterall?? I will be crushed if they did. One series I make sure not to miss! I am more hooked than American Idol and House! Is the season going to air or not?? I really hope so because I may not have watch it while it was airing but recorded every episode so I could skip the commercials! I will be so crushed if it is canceled this year. We need insprational shows like this during our times because of the constant talk of dooms day and what not. Its so nice to see such inspirational shows that are global inspration and would really be crushed if it ended. Patiently waiting for season two! A HUGE FAN!!!

Brooke May 13, 2013 at 10:30 pm

I couldn’t agree more Lorrie! Very well said!! I am HOOKED too!! I hope it comes back!