Traffic Light: New FOX Sitcom Cancelled; No Season Two

Traffic LightFOX has cancelled a number of series this week and some have been a bit of a surprise. Lie to Me, Human Target, and The Chicago Code were all canned and most had been expecting at least one to survive. One cancellation that doesn’t come as a shock however is Traffic Light. No one was expecting the low-rated sitcom to be back for a second season.

Traffic Light follows the lives of three men who’ve been friends since college — Mike (David Denman), Adam (Nelson Franklin), and Ethan (Kris Marshall). Now in their thirties, they find themselves in different places in their lives and various stages of relationships. Mike’s married to Lisa (Liza Lapira), Adam lives with girlfriend Callie (Aya Cash), and Adam’s still the perpetual bachelor.

The premiere of Traffic Light attracted just a 1.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 4.59 million viewers. In week two, the numbers fell more than 25%, to a 1.4 rating and 3.49 million. With figures like these, it was pretty clear that Traffic Light was doomed.

Should Traffic Light have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The ratings for subsequent episodes kept falling and even went as low as a 0.9 in the demo and 2.24 million viewers. The newbie sitcom averages a pitiful 1.5 in the demo and just 3.66 million viewers. It’s currently the lowest-rated series on the network, even ranking below Fringe which airs on Friday nights.

FOX has now officially cancelled Traffic Light after one season and 13 episodes. The final unaired episode of the series is scheduled to air next Tuesday, May 17th. The last episode produced, titled “Tommy Guns,” ran last night.

For now, FOX plans to air repeats of Traffic Light at least through the end of June. In light of this cancellation news, that schedule may change.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Traffic Light didn’t get a second season? Is the series better than the ratings indicate?

Carley September 13, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I am completely bummed that this show isn’t going to air again! I loved this show and watched it every single week. It made me laugh constantly and was definitly one of my favorite weekly shows. Really wish it would have been given a season 2 chance.

aaron September 9, 2011 at 5:56 am

The show is funny, fox is terrible at promoting because I never saw a preview while it was on. Just discovered it yesterday, September…

jim September 8, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Finally a quirky show – similar to Seinfeld – but they cancel it. Too bad.

drew September 7, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Fox sucks this show was great. Just like wal-mart I find something I like and they get rid of it. Bring it back fox or let some other network make money off it!

Arturo August 29, 2011 at 9:03 pm

HELL YEAH! I LOVED this show! I thought the characters were funny, and believable. I guess I really enjoyed it because I’ve been through all 3 phases, currently married with a baby. I was very disappointed it was canceled. I guess it didn’t have enough star power – bummer!

Anonymous August 2, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Traffic Light was one of my new favourite shows. I pvr’d it every week and really enjoyed it. I’m disappointed there won’t be a Season 2.

MISS MARIE July 21, 2011 at 9:43 pm

WELL, HONESTLY THE ACTING WAS PRETTY BAD FROM ALL THE ACTORS… AND THE CASTING WAS POOR. I COULD NOT SEE AYA CASH PLAYING A 30 YEAR OLD WOMAN WHEN SHE LOOKS LIKE SHE IS AT LEAST 18. THE CAST WAS ALL A STRANGE GROUP PUT TOGETHER… AND THE WRITING WAS UNREALISTIC. BUT OVERALL, IT WAS CANCELLED DUE TO POOR ACTING.

Blake July 14, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Like others, I just discovered this show on Hulu Plus. I am shocked by these ratings numbers. I’m also shocked that I had not heard of this show before. Where have I been? I like this show as much as anything going at the moment. It’s a real shame to lose this while 2.5 men gets yet another season to retread the same joke.

Trish July 13, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Discovered Traffic Light while I was recouperating from chemo treatments. Traffic Light is not only very funny but also intelligently written and is intelligently witty. Please reconsider the cancellation – the show lacked proper exposure. Also, all the actors on the show were very appealing and likable. If In The Middle was not canceled there is no reason why Traffic Light ( which is far superior on so many levels) should be canceled. Traffic Light should have been given a more premium time slot.

KJ June 29, 2011 at 1:06 pm

This show was too smart for the American masses and thus got cancelled when too many stopped watching it when they failed to comprehend the humor. It’s too bad, was a fantastic cast and show

Sandra June 26, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I loved Traffic Light…all of it. All about it.
I am so bummed that after watching the last episode on Hulu there won’t be more.
Ahhhh I’m mad. What am I gonna watch now??????????????

WHAT?!? June 25, 2011 at 6:41 pm

I can’t believe this! They’re cancelling Human Target AND Traffic Light? Meanwhile crap shows are getting 2nd and 3rd seasons?!??? I found both of these shows on Hulu and was thrilled that there was finally something funny to look forward to every week with the Traffic Light episodes. And Human Target was a great blend of depth, mystery, humor with pretty people kicking bad guys’ butts.
I am seriously bummed about this.

Michele June 24, 2011 at 10:05 am

I found this show on Hula and loved it! Sorry to see it is being cancelled. :(

Anonymous June 17, 2011 at 2:41 pm

So so so bummed this was canceled. It was so funny. I hope Fox reconsiders.

Sophie August 23, 2011 at 7:26 am

I agree , it’s a really funny show :C

fan of good tv June 13, 2011 at 11:07 am

I just discovered “Traffic Light”, and obviously too late. I also am way over the shows projected demographic, but still found the show to be very funny. The cast was all likable, especailly Liza Lapira, and I found the writing to be very good. I am very disappointed that it won’t be given a chance to develop a following. We need more funny shows on TV like this.