Traffic Light: New FOX Sitcom Cancelled; No Season Two

Traffic LightFOX has cancelled a number of series this week and some have been a bit of a surprise. Lie to Me, Human Target, and The Chicago Code were all canned and most had been expecting at least one to survive. One cancellation that doesn’t come as a shock however is Traffic Light. No one was expecting the low-rated sitcom to be back for a second season.

Traffic Light follows the lives of three men who’ve been friends since college — Mike (David Denman), Adam (Nelson Franklin), and Ethan (Kris Marshall). Now in their thirties, they find themselves in different places in their lives and various stages of relationships. Mike’s married to Lisa (Liza Lapira), Adam lives with girlfriend Callie (Aya Cash), and Adam’s still the perpetual bachelor.

The premiere of Traffic Light attracted just a 1.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 4.59 million viewers. In week two, the numbers fell more than 25%, to a 1.4 rating and 3.49 million. With figures like these, it was pretty clear that Traffic Light was doomed.

Should Traffic Light have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The ratings for subsequent episodes kept falling and even went as low as a 0.9 in the demo and 2.24 million viewers. The newbie sitcom averages a pitiful 1.5 in the demo and just 3.66 million viewers. It’s currently the lowest-rated series on the network, even ranking below Fringe which airs on Friday nights.

FOX has now officially cancelled Traffic Light after one season and 13 episodes. The final unaired episode of the series is scheduled to air next Tuesday, May 17th. The last episode produced, titled “Tommy Guns,” ran last night.

For now, FOX plans to air repeats of Traffic Light at least through the end of June. In light of this cancellation news, that schedule may change.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Traffic Light didn’t get a second season? Is the series better than the ratings indicate?

Anonymous September 12, 2012 at 10:06 pm

I just like many others watched this show on Netflix. Like many others I never saw this show advertised and didn’t know anything about it before watching in online. This is probably one of the funniest shows I have seen in a long time and am very sad it was cancelled after only one season. I wish you would bring it back.

Josh September 4, 2012 at 6:50 am

we just found this show on netflix – it’s HILARIOUS! We actually watch some shows on FOX and don’t ever remember seeing it advertised?? If FOX could spare a few dollars for a show other than American Idol, maybe these other shows would have a chance.

Paul August 18, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Just finished the last season on netflix, it was hilarious and laughed my ass out. They should bring the series back, would love to watch them again.

Theresa August 13, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I don’t get it. Fox, as a network, stinks. The New shows don’t get advertised enough and then cancelled bc no one even knows they exist! This is the third show they have cancelled that we love after the first season!! Just finished this series and loved it! A show that most people can relate to and funny to boot. Like most, I found it on Netflix. Fox needs to get its ish together and get some decent programming. It seems when they have a show that has some brains to it, they cant handle it. It’s no wonder the other networks have better ratings. It would be awesome if one of them picked this show up and aired it.

Trey August 11, 2012 at 8:33 am

Just finished Traffic Light on Netflix and thought the show was hilarious. I don’t think the show survived because of a lack of advertisement. I had never heard of this show until I stumbled upon it on Netfix. I wish a second season would have aired.

Candyce P August 7, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I’m completely bummed. To say “no one” expected this to make it to another season is pretty crazy. I don’t know anything about ratings and never keep up with that jazz so I had no idea the ratings were so low. I don’t understand why to be honest. I thought this was a great show. It made me laugh and I could really relate to some of the characters and situations. It was real life stuff. EASILY relate-able. I want it back.

Jes July 29, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I just watched the entire season on Netflix as well and it was hilarious watched it in two days and loved every second of it can’t believe it wasn’t renewed i think the network just messed up advertising the show because before netflix I had never heard of it they need to bring it back put it in a better time slot and maybe spend a cent on advertising so people know it exists. PS – Liza Lapira carries the show she’s amazing!

BOBBY August 21, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Just watch the entire season on Netflix it was great and very funny wish they would make a season two good job to the cast of traffic. Light

Lauren July 22, 2012 at 8:00 pm

LOVED Traffic Light!!! Just saw it on Netflix and was laughing hysterically!! Watched all 13 episodes within 24 hours. So bummed to hear it is cancelled.

Mike Rock July 15, 2012 at 9:48 am

Just watched season one on Netflix and it was awesome. Thought is was a great show. I think that the reason shows are not getting the high number of viewers anymore is because of the internet. Many people such as myself do not have cable, and thus watch all of their favorite shows on the internet. I think that these networks need to take that into consideration and somehow figure out how to follow the number of viewers from these various internet sites.

Amy July 7, 2012 at 7:12 am

I just watched the 1st and only season on netflix and loved it.
I am sad to find out I will not be able to watch another season!

DB June 20, 2012 at 10:27 am

Just found the show and it’s hilarious! Bring it back.

Bough May 7, 2012 at 2:41 am

I enjoyed watching the show a lot. I really hope they bring it back.

Евгений February 15, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Очень жаль, что отменили сереал, я очень любил его. Очень смешной в отличии от многих

Julie January 21, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I can’t believe this show has been cancelled. It got better and better as far as I’m concerned. Clever, pithy dialogues, lovable characters (I’d be hard-pressed to choose a favourite) and finally a show that is really funny, not just trying to be funny. For me it was along the same humour lines as Flight of the Concords. Still, I’m Australian so what do I know, right?

Dee January 11, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Just because there are not a lot of people commenting on this particular site, I can guarantee there will be many, many, people asking what happened to that show Traffic light. Im guessing mindless comedies an another cop show will replace it. I loved it a lot of laughs!