Trauma: NBC Effectively Cancels TV Show, No Season Two

Trauma canceledLast May, NBC announced that it would be adding two new medical shows. Trauma would begin airing in the Fall and Mercy would come in early 2010. That plan got messed up when production on Parenthood, another new show, was delayed, and Mercy was brought in early to take its place.

With two new medical dramas on the network, many suspected there was going to be one too many. A few months later, one is struggling to survive and the other has been effectively cancelled.

Trauma revolves around a group of first responder paramedics in San Francisco. The high-action series is populated by an ensemble cast that includes Derek Luke, Cliff Curtis, Anastasia Griffith, Kevin Rankin, Aimee Garcia, Billy Lush, Jamey Sheridan, and Taylor Kinney.

The drama has had problems attracting viewers from the beginning. Its premiere only attracted 6.68 million viewers and a 2.2/5 rating/share of the 18-49 demographic. The following week, the numbers sank to 5.36 million and a 1.7/4. The numbers have been rising slowly since then but not by much. Monday’s episode hit a post-premiere high of 5.77 million and a 1.9/5, putting the show in fourth place for the timeslot.

TV show supportTo no surprise, NBC has decided not to order additional episodes of Trauma. While all 13 episodes of the series will be aired, the network won’t be ordering any more. It’s unknown if the cast and crew will be able to give the show any closure by the last episode.

What do you think? Are you disappointed that Trauma is ending or should it have been cancelled awhile ago?

UPDATE: Trauma returning with new episodes.

carl September 4, 2011 at 11:02 am

this messed up that was a great show and i miss please bring it back

Cyndi September 1, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I love the show and there should definitly be another season, especially with how the last one ended. the show had over 5 million viewers how in the world is that not enough people watching. NBC stop only focusing on the money part. I’m so tired of tv stations cancelling good shows just because oh my gosh “only” 5 million people are watching. HELLO…….. they seem like they are trying to find a needle in a haystack or something. NBC STOP LISTENING TO YOUR CEOS ALL THE TIME AND LISTEN TO THE CONSUMERS WHO ACTULLY WATCH YOUR SHOWS AND IF YOUR GOING TO CANCEL SOMETHING AT LEAST END THE SHOW WITH SOME CLOSURE!!!!!

alicia August 29, 2011 at 12:43 am

very dissapointed that you take off all the shows i like. espically that put good into the world. It was great even though I can still watch them on netfliks it sucks that its not coming back with more. i loved everyone and they made me laugh and cry. why not bring it back.

Lynn August 28, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I loved watching this show and now there is no more and that sucks. Please bring my favorite show back, I miss all of my buddies in the show.

steve August 26, 2011 at 12:11 pm

This show was amazing I still watch the old episodes one after another. As a current Medic for the city of milwaukee I wish i had a day like one of theirs haha. I think thats what makes it great becuase it makes medics like me think of how cool it would be to do this or that and have this amazing day. Bring the show back on the air.

Julia August 22, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I love the show and I hate that I caught on to it after it got cancelled cause it had me on the edge of my seat everytime I watched it. Please bring the show back or at least turn it to a movie with closure to season one

Gene Dixon August 7, 2011 at 2:05 pm

As a nurse & former medic, I love the show & wish it was still showing. Busy schedule I just started watching yesterday. Trauma just needed better advertising.

Melissa August 1, 2011 at 6:27 am

We want this show back desperately. It was a great, awesome show. We always looked forward to it coming on. My 7 year ols son loves it also. We think it should come back on and throw out the shows that aare crappy that took its place. BRING BACK TRAUMA!!!!!!

Alayna July 28, 2011 at 12:48 am

BRING THIS SHOW BACK PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joseph July 16, 2011 at 11:00 pm

I never new about Trauma until I watched it for the first time and it was in the middle of the show that I enjoyed it so much and bought the first season on DVD I think it is a shame that NBC is canceling it I think there was not enough exposure for it and that is why it died I would like to see it brought back from the dead HOPE NBC changes it’s mind

KEKE July 15, 2011 at 4:18 pm

OMG!! THIS SHOW IS TRULY ONE OF THE BEST MEDICAL SHOWS SINCE ER.!!! ITS EDUCATIONAL, INSPIRING, INTENSE, AND COMICAL!!! RELATING TO REAL LIFE SITUATIONS THIS SHOW KEEPS YOU ON THE EDGE WONDERING WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT.. TO THOSE WHO MAY WANT TO BECOME AN EMT SOMEDAY THIS SHOW IS PERFECT TO LEARN MULTIPLE TECHNIQUES FROM…

Emma July 12, 2011 at 9:26 pm

I loved watching Trauma. It was one show my husband and I could watch together. We looked forward to seeing it. We watched ER every week and never missed an episode and of course like all good things it came to an end; and nothing similar ever came on to replace it. Everything on television seems to be all crime related. Trauma came on and broke up the monotony. Great show but it went off the air. Please bring it back!!

yaro July 10, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I WANT TRAUMA BACK IT IS WAY BETTER THAN ANY OTHER MEDICAL SHOW BECUAS EITS AWSOME..BRING IT BACK BRING IT BACK!!!!!!

Marc July 2, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Trauma is the best show I have ever seen. It is a good break from violent police shows. Trauma offers a similar setting as of other medical shows, but yet shows a different side of the medical field. This show is inspiring and should be brought back on TV. Way better than any TV show I have seen. I was deeply disturbed to find out there was only one session with such a cliff-hanging ending. There must me a follow up.

tiara penland June 28, 2011 at 10:41 am

me and my mother love this show! and have waited for months for it to come back on! only to find out it was canceled! we are very disappointed!