Trauma: NBC Cancellation Bad for San Francisco Economy, Too

Trauma cancelledThe cancellation of NBC’s Trauma series is upsetting many EMTs and regular viewers. Apparently the San Francisco economy is going to miss it as well.

Trauma follows a group of first responder paramedics in the San Francisco area. The high-action medical drama stars Derek Luke, Cliff Curtis, Anastasia Griffith, Kevin Rankin, Aimee Garcia, Billy Lush, Jamey Sheridan, and Taylor Kinney.

The show’s been struggling in the ratings from the start and NBC announced last week that the network wouldn’t be ordering any more episodes, cancelling the series.

Though many shows have been set there, Trauma is the first show to be completely filmed in the City by the Bay since Nash Bridges went off the air in 2001. Before that, there was Midnight Caller and Streets of San Francisco. As with many out-of-town productions, the filming of Trauma hasn’t all been smooth sailing.

Did it matter that Trauma was actually shot in San Francisco?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Plans to film the series in San Francisco nearly got derailed after the pilot. Productions can typically get rebates from local government to entice shooting in their area. The San Francisco Board of Supervisors reportedly changed their program so that rebates went to film productions. The Trauma pilot was ineligible and NBC was none too pleased after spending $8 million on it.

Things eventually got worked out and the network okayed local production of the 12 additional episodes. Around that same time, Mayor Gavin Newsom came under criticism for taking campaign contributions from an NBC exec. Later, the city had to spend an extra $270,000 for a big annual convention that’s usually held in a facility that was rented out for Trauma.

Despite some extra expenses and inconveniences to the locals, Trauma has very been good for the local San Francisco economy. It’s estimated that $3-4 million per episode is spent in the area. That comes from payments of crew, police overtime, permits and catering. There are 150 people employed on the full-time crew, as many as 300 guest actors, extras, and other local labor as well.

TV show supportIf the show had continued, many of the actors who were renting apartments had been talking about buying houses in the area. But now, with the show ending, all of the extra revenue to San Francisco will be stopping as well.

NBC has said that they plan to finish production on all of the previously ordered episodes. It was initially announced that filming would last until mid-December but it’s unknown if the show’s cancellation will curtail that.

What do you think? Did it make a difference that Trauma was actually shot on location? Does seeing a city like San Francisco on a TV show each week entice you to want to visit?

jesse merritt March 3, 2010 at 8:00 pm

im upset that trauma was cancelled! its my favorite show. i really hope nbc changes there mind about the show.after i watch the episod i have to watch it over and over again. i watched every episod 6 or 7 times.i think its a mistake that they cancelled it. i will miss it so.

Danielle March 2, 2010 at 4:01 pm

I’m highly disappointed that NBC is cancelling Trauma. That’s the only thing I looked forward to watching. I got so many people to watch it and we are all disappointed. Now that football season is over I think it could get more ratings. The show is great. Nothing I’ve found lately compares. I hope they change their minds and keep it going.

kria February 4, 2010 at 9:32 pm

So bummed Trauma was cancelled!

Lynn February 3, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Wow, we can’t believe that Trauma is not coming back. We thought they might have been on a short hiatus but now we hear that is not so. The storylines were inventive and exciting . . . . the thrill of a “call”. Our favorite character was Rabbit.

New to the area February 1, 2010 at 11:38 pm

My husband was just stationed in the bay area, so it was nice to see some familiar sights. The plots were great and the acting awsome as well. I hope the exec’s listen to the small people and make sure it stays on air!!!!

Randy Keeling January 30, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Hey fototaker, thats’ great news! ! ! !
Especially now that NBC has 5 prime time hours to fill!
I say fire all the “Exec’s” at NBC! Except the one that maybe(?) that decided to bring it back for a second season! It was /is(?) one of my favorite new shows for this season!
And they choose to keep “Mercy!”
Lets keep hoping for a season two!
Randy

fototaker January 27, 2010 at 11:06 am

well, they are still filming… saw them last week wrapping up at Washington Square in North Beach. a crew there told me they were ok-ed for another season and they were still shooting scenes in the City. it’s always great to see a film crew shooting in your hometown!!! i used to watch NBC…. since Trauma ended (and I missed the last episodes in December due to my being in Sydney and that stupid NBC site is a joke; couldn’t watch the shows online at all!! grrrr) i have NOT been on NBC since. i DO love Ltterman’s jokes about the sorry station tho!!! :^D

Danton January 27, 2010 at 10:17 am

All I gotta say is that this needs to go on to keep myself and all the extras employed as background casts. Look ma’, I’m a movie star! My role? Background extra in a sad show that’s only barely making it through votes from people like me.

Stitllams January 26, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Although it sucks that Trauma is cancelled, it didn’t surprise me at all.
The middle men wont budge from their profit margin even though the nielson ratings are no longer a valid indicator and the people who make the shows are stuck in the same routine.
Until they change the way things are done, shows will continue to be cancelled and I will pirate all my favorite shows advert free allowing me to watch them anytime I want in full High Definition

maddog January 23, 2010 at 11:44 am

Sorry to see this happen. Indicative of why NBC is doing so poorly in the ratings race. Failure to stick with a pretty well done product and the willingness to let a following develop.

Tango January 19, 2010 at 8:07 pm

That’s JACKED UP! I LOVED this show.

Rose January 18, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I was so upset when I heard NBC cancelled “Trauma”. I thought it very well done, I liked the actors and the plots where real. Bad choice NBC.

Anne January 18, 2010 at 11:59 am

I sooooo disapointed that Trauma show has been cancelled. I’m not much of TV person but finally a show I like and they cancel it. I would look forward to watching this show.

Anne
Canada

susan January 17, 2010 at 6:45 am

bring it back please. i have been lost without the show “trauma” i so miss it.

bealie January 16, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Such a good show! How disappointing it was to hear it is cancelled. Character development and relationships were really evolving & the acting was great! Excellant cast as well.