True Blood: Ending; No Season Eight

true blood endingAs suspected, HBO has decided to end True Blood after the upcoming seventh season. All of the key members of the cast will be returning for the final run of 10 episodes in Summer 2014.

HBO’s president of programming, Michael Lombardo, announced the plans to end the show earlier today. In a statement, he said, “True Blood has been nothing short of a defining show for HBO… Alan Ball took the books by Charlaine Harris, assembled a brilliant cast led by the magnificent Anna Paquin in the role of Sookie Stackhouse, and crafted a show that has taken its many devoted fans on an unforgettable journey.”

He continued, “Alan passed the baton to Brian Buckner, who led our fantastic writers and crew in crafting a spectacular sixth season, and he will lead us through the seventh and final season of this amazing show. Together with its legions of fans, it will be hard to say goodbye to the residents of Bon Temps, but I look forward to what promises to be a fantastic final chapter of this incredible show.”

While True Blood continues to be one of HBO’s most-popular shows, its viewership has been dropping over the past couple seasons. The sixth season, which just recently finished airing, averaged 4.23 million viewers for initial airings. That’s down from last season’s 4.66 million, which itself was lower than season four’s 4.97 million.

What do you think? Do you think True Blood is ending at the right time? Too soon or too late?

Tracy August 18, 2014 at 1:05 am

If ths show is so popluar on hbo it should stay on tv. I love this show please keep it on .

Octroon August 3, 2014 at 5:23 am

I really enjoy watching True Blood. However, glad it is ending because this season took a sharp left turn it is awful…

Tammy July 11, 2014 at 12:49 am

i already dropped cable i was sick n tired on all the cable channel did u ever think of the 4 mill plus people who do watch your shows no u don think of them all they ever cared about is money im so lad i have over 1000 dvd and blu-rays

dewey May 7, 2014 at 10:03 am

ending to soon

Gayle Miller January 26, 2014 at 10:16 pm

I’m so tired of a series ending without asking the viewers. HBO, True Blood and BBC, ending Copper … Sometime you need to find out why the ratings dropped and go back to what works. I’m so tired of watching a new series not knowing if season will happen. I’m at the point of dropping cable and watching DVD’s.

dewey May 7, 2014 at 10:07 am

Im with u on that one

Rich November 26, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Say it ain’t so, Joe!

cryonix November 2, 2013 at 3:10 pm

This is not a surprise, When Alan Ball either Says he’s ending a show, or if he leaves a show while still running, it’s going to end. I love True Blood and will miss all the mythology and creative stories. I also understand that Alan ball can’t make more magical shows unless he closes a one chapter first. He had me with Six Feet Under and He Really has had me with True Blood and he will have my attention and support for his next chapter. Can’t wait for the final season and to see what kind of finale they come up with.

Pissed October 25, 2013 at 9:42 pm

I’m so glad I don’t have HBO any more!

A FORMER FAN OF HBO October 12, 2013 at 3:22 am

WHY NOT ASK VIEWERS BEFORE YOU MAKE UP YOUR MIND TO KILL A VERY GOOD SERIES. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED I JUST MAY CANCEL YOU !!!

Betty Sexton October 5, 2013 at 3:03 pm

This is one of my favorite shows! i can’t believe they’re cancelling it. i will be so to see it go.

alice September 5, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Great first couple of seasons that eventually turned into a horrendous show. The producers should have stuck with the vampire story line for the majority of the show instead of going into werewolves, smoke monsters, shape changers, etc. Plus the extreme use of leftist/radical politics pissed off so many moderates and conservatives which would have helped the overall ratings.

Good job True Blood. You turned a great show that was very succesful into a below average show that resulted in the show getting canceled.

Philbert September 17, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Here’s someone who obviously never read the books! Oh, and the shape-shifters and werewolves were definitely shown in the first two seasons. There’s actually more things mentioned in the books that were never shown in the TV series. Basically, all legends exist in the worlds of Charlaine Harris!

Mary Douglas September 3, 2013 at 11:10 pm

I gave up hope on this show two seasons ago, but kept watching it in case it would get better. It didn’t. Things got too strange, almost like they were trying to hard to make it different.

I never liked the Sookie character. She came across as dumb as dirt. Maybe if someone else had played the role I would have liked her better, but to me Anna Paquin is a bad actress and did not do the character any favors.

I didn’t read the books, so have no basis to judge the content of series against. But a show needs the interest of people who have not read the book(s) to be successful.

It should have been killed after this season. Sad to see a good show go down the toilet like this one did. Too bad it will have to endure one more mediocre season before it finally gets some peace. As for me, I won’t be watching.

Pikachu September 3, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Jeremy Rynek September 3, 2013 at 6:56 pm

I think the real problem was that, Alan left as show runner. He knew what he was doing, and he was doing it well. No offense to the new guy, but still.

Jess September 3, 2013 at 6:35 pm

I think if the show would have stuck closer to the books the last couple of seasons would have been much better. Harris’s books are amazing and the how really went another direction. Shouldn’t end the show and replace it with another show HBO will cancel after first couple of seasons. Should work on making the show better dont just dump it.