Ugly Betty: ABC Comedy Comes to An End. Are You Satisfied?

Ugly BettyIt’s hard to believe but, after four seasons and 84 episodes, the ABC comedy, Ugly Betty, has come to an end.

Ugly Betty revolves around Betty Suarez (America Ferrera), a sweet girl who tries to navigate through the catty world of high fashion and Mode magazine. Others in the cast include Eric Mabius, Tony Plana, Ana Ortiz, Becki Newton, Mark Indelicato, Michael Urie, Vanessa Williams, and Ashley Jensen.

The series was a moderate success for its first two seasons but then dropped in season three. It would have been on the bubble but ABC ended up giving it an early renewal, likely because they wanted to produce enough episodes for a syndication package.

This season, ABC put it on Friday nights, hoping that the devout fans would still watch. Not many did and ABC eventually moved it to Wednesday nights after Eastwick failed to catch on.

When Betty was sold into syndication, the ABC network and production company were likely disappointed that each episode only brought a “low six figures” when purchased by the TV Guide channel. If Ugly Betty’s fate wasn’t sealed before, that likely did it. In January, ABC announced that they were canceling Ugly Betty after four seasons.

On the positive side, this gave the cast and crew time to tie up the show’s loose ends and to give it a proper finale. Tonight, ABC aired the last episode and it wrapped up this way…

Betty has accepted a new job in London. After it looks like Daniel isn’t coming to Betty’s going away party, he finally shows up but can’t go in to see her. Surprisingly, he later steps down from his job at Mode, making Wilhelmina the sole editor. He says that he wants to start over and that means following Betty to London. He meets her there, on the street and says that he’d like to take her out on a date.

As Betty heads back to work, she notes that she’s going to need a new assistant and he jokes that he might submit his resume. As the music plays, we see happy Betty disappear into the crowd. The title “Ugly Betty” appears on screen and then the “Ugly” disappears.

What did you think of the last episode? Are you happy with Betty’s choices? Is there anything that you would have done differently?

Donna May 14, 2010 at 12:19 pm

I AGREE WITH OTHER FOLLOWERS, IT WA PUSHED TO FAST. BRING HER BACK………………………………………

Stefany April 26, 2010 at 2:23 pm

And I would LOVE to see a film made out of Ugly Betty that would give it a chance to wrap up the story decently!

Stefany April 26, 2010 at 2:16 pm

This show was so great! Really one of my favorites ever. The ending was way too rushed! And after four seasons of bantering, awkward moments, and hints at a relationship they went no where with Daniel and Betty’s relationship. If only ABC had given them a bit more time, they might have at least had the time to get them together and give all of the fans a much more satisfying ending!

Violin Lessons April 24, 2010 at 8:23 pm

I will definitely miss the show. It did a great job portraying minority issues (immigration, homosexuality) in a positive manner. Now, I feel like something’s missing in my weekly routine. That show made me smile no matter how bad my day went!
I hope ABC would bring it back or at least some producer would make a movie out of it.

Satomi April 22, 2010 at 7:55 pm

I was so sad when I saw the preview where they said it was the very last episode ever! I was a little disappointed with the last episode, but as many people here stated, the writers did the best they could with the limited time they had to wrap things up. :( I actually am grieving for this show, I felt close to these characters! I do hope a movie may be in the works eventually!

chie April 22, 2010 at 12:02 am

I’m quite disappointed with the finale. I would love to see Betty and Daniel really together.

rena April 17, 2010 at 5:29 pm

so sorry to see Ugly Betty end
It was very good, no violence and a pleasure
Why do they always end good shows ???

Maybe next time a new one pops up – we should stay away from watching this way we would never be disapointed.

MADELEINE April 17, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Sure wish Betty would stay on the air. One of the good shows with no violence and simply fun to watch
please please put her back on

Jessica April 16, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I cannot believe they ended Ugly Betty. Bring it back!

Lilian April 16, 2010 at 5:21 am

It shouldn’t end like that because of financial figures. As much as you care about the income, ABC should also deliver fair ending and quality show.

We want Ugly Betty ended into a fabulous show! Or not unless there is Season 5.

Isabelle April 16, 2010 at 2:53 am

NOO, I WANT TO SEE BETTY AND DANIEL BE TOGETHERR

Nicole Simone April 16, 2010 at 12:22 am

Awww…I cried :'( but yeah I agree with the last episode feeling a bit rushed…Rumor has it they will be taking Ugly Betty to the big screen, I would LOVE that! What a bummer too…I JUST got into watching the series (having seen them off and on in the past) but I so didnt want it to end! I feel in love with the characters! If only our comments could change the shows outcome….

Janet April 15, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I wish abc gave the show the whole 22 episode season. The ending felt rushed and it was to short. ABC could of given it at least a 2 hour series finally. All of a sudden we should believe daniel likes Betty? They should of build towards it early on in the season. I would of like to see more of the other characters ending like Mark only danced with his ex they didn’t officially get bacd together and Ignacio should of asked his girlfriend to move in with him. I like that they lived happily ever after but it was just to rush. Not the best goodbye for ugly betty which is sad. It deserved much better. I will miss the show

Denise April 15, 2010 at 9:55 am

It ended the way I thought it would. Nothing spectacular – just predictable. I’m going to miss those characters. :(

Melanie April 15, 2010 at 8:15 am

This was a horible ending to a great show. Its great that amanda found her dad, mark found love, and willie got hers. The whole show felt a little pushed. Like the writers were checked out. They were just pushing to finish the show. I think they owe us a follow up, weather in show form or on the web as short stories. It seemed kinda far fetched that daniel suddenly figures out that he is in love with betty. But it makes a little sence they have been best friends for 4 years. I want to see the Betty spin off. Betty can pop in on the rest of the charicters to see how they are doing. We deserve more of an ending. I even liked the idea of doing the update 5 years later. But the show producer short changed us fans.

Melissa April 18, 2010 at 6:08 pm

They didn’t really have any other opportunity. It’s not like they were given oodles of notice to the fact that they’d be cut short… It’s like with Pushing Daisies, a fantastic show… Also got cut short by ABC, and was given only a few episodes to wrap up /everything/. Blame the network, not the writers. They did their best with what they were given.