Ugly Betty: Will There Be a Movie of the Cancelled TV Show?

IMAGENow that Ugly Betty has concluded its run, there’s already talk of a possible feature film. Is that realistic?

Ugly Betty revolves around a young woman (America Ferrera) who works at a trendy fashion magazine. Others in the cast include Eric Mabius, Tony Plana, Ana Ortiz, Becki Newton, Mark Indelicato, Michael Urie, Vanessa Williams, and Ashley Jensen.

The series ran for four seasons before being cancelled by ABC. The ratings had been in decline for more than a year so the cancellation really didn’t come as a surprise.

Though the show’s writers were able to give the series and the characters some closure, many devoted fans naturally want more. According to some of the stars of the show, a movie based on the series is a possibility.

Do you think there will be an Ugly Betty movie?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

After filming the series finale, Ferrera told Zap2It, “I’m happy with the way it turned out. And hopefully the fans will want more and they will come back and see Ugly Betty: The Movie and we can see what life after the show brought for this character and all these characters that the audience is in love with.”

Oritz later confirmed those feelings. She told Latina, “It’s something that we’ve been talking about and it’s something that America Ferrera would really love to do. That woman has so much determination that I can’t imagine anything she puts her mind to not getting done.”

There are no concrete plans for a feature film as yet but it’s an interesting idea. Though it could certainly happen someday, the prospects seem highly unlikely. After all, Ugly Betty has never been a big hit and viewership was in decline for quite awhile. Episodes didn’t bring a lot of money in syndication and the series finale only attracted 5.65 million viewers.

When you look at it that way, an Ugly Betty feature film doesn’t make a lot of business sense. But who knows, after the show’s been out of primetime for a few years, perhaps it’ll attract a cult following and they can figure out how to make the movie in a way that makes good financial sense.

What do you think? Is an Ugly Betty feature film a realistic prospect or just wishful thinking?

kesuma May 29, 2010 at 9:05 am

Dear sponsored…please let us see the continuing of daniel n betty relationship, please make the movie, then I’m sure Ugly Betty will have an unforgatable ending that you always wanted. Thanks before :)

sari May 29, 2010 at 8:27 am

Since the episode is being canceled by ABC, then a movie is a must, because I really really really wish I could see betty n daniel get together as a lover, I’m sure it would make betty’s fans satisfied, at least I know I am, but please please please….don’t change the casting, specially for daniel n betty’s part.
Hope to see the movie soon……

Tess May 17, 2010 at 2:11 am

Yes a movie… but Dnaiel and Betty must be the main characters..

Dara May 7, 2010 at 8:35 pm

A movie, yes please! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

Julie April 29, 2010 at 1:20 am

I would LOVE an Ugly Betty movie. I felt the series left a lot of information idol for the possibility of a movie to pick up where it left off! I would really like to see how things go with Daniel and Betty as well as her life in London (so many possibilities). This is the first series I’ve drawn some self motivation and really laughed whole heartedly with the characters, I’m not ready to let go of the Ugly Betty series. I suppose I became a die hard fan unknowingly!

fidi April 27, 2010 at 11:31 am

I wish I could watch more episodes of ugly betty, I’m so curious about daniel and betty’s relationship–or like what’s gonna happen between ‘em?
But also I can’t wait for the movie, it sounds great! I hope it won’t take a long time,, I’m waiting!! :D

tina April 24, 2010 at 1:11 pm

MOVIE!
YESSSSSSSS!!!!!

Mariel April 22, 2010 at 1:48 pm

I love the idea about the movie!!!!! definitely all tha fans want a DETTY ending!!!

s April 22, 2010 at 5:50 pm

plz sign ugly betty movie petition! 4 ub cast members have already expressed interest, now the fans need to show support!

Hiedi April 22, 2010 at 10:44 am

I loved this show. I always made sure to follow it even after they continually changed the air times. I would definitely go see a movie.

twinklefinx April 22, 2010 at 9:45 am

Can you believe it? this beauty obsessed society has cancelled the one show who wasn’t about a bleach blond.. but about a real down to earth Brunette girl trying to make ends meet with her hard work and bubbly personality…. I am so disheartened that the one show I could relate to won’t be around anymore… and Shows that I don’t care about.. that star futile model like BAD actresses will…. GRRRRR this is the year 2010 people… stop being so annoyingly PLASTIC MINDED!

J.M April 22, 2010 at 8:28 am

A movie would be amazing!!
So if everyone wants one, sign the petition going. I think there were many people that just didnt have the time to watch it live when it was on on Fridays, but there would be so many more people willing to watch the movie. Here is the link if the fans are interested…

Scarlett H April 22, 2010 at 3:04 am

i would love to see a movie come out…i think it wasnt getting good ratings because they kept changing the time of the show…i would have preferred it being on earlier then so late since most people have alot to do and dont really stay up late…

Zsu Zsu April 21, 2010 at 11:59 pm

I MISS MY “BETTY”! I would LOVE to see a movie and find out what those oh so beautifully created characters are doing in the future.

Amber April 21, 2010 at 11:03 pm

only 5.65million? You make it sound like a bad thing. That’s pretty good considering it’s lead in (Cougar Town) was hardly 6 million. You look at some other shows right now that are still on air and they have way lower ratings (ex: Gossip girl is hardly getting 1.8 million viewers.

“didnt translate into viewers” – FAIL. It totally did. If you even watched the show you would see how fans got so attached. The cast and writers have said how many thankyou letters they get on a daily bases because the show is so influencial.

Anyway, I would LOVE an Ugly Betty movie.

muchwill April 21, 2010 at 4:03 pm

“after all, ugly betty has never been a big hit”….
ahum… On which planet were you in 2006/2007?:)
anyway, yeah, I’d love a movie.

admin April 21, 2010 at 4:37 pm

@muchwill: In its first two seasons, Ugly Betty was a moderate hit. In year one, it was 35th in the ratings. In year two, it was 53rd. That’s not a big hit. It was one of those shows that got a lot of buzz but that didn’t translate into viewers.

muchmill April 22, 2010 at 2:24 am

Well It apparently had 16 million people watching for the pilot
and over 10 million for the 1st two seasons. To me this looks like “being a big it” at least for the first two seasons… no?