Each week, sweet Betty Suarez successfully navigates the “shark-infested” world of Mode magazine. Unfortunately, her TV show hasn’t been as lucky with the TV ratings. It was barely renewed last season and it looks very likely to be cancelled this time around.
What can you do? Remember, the ideal scenario for ABC is for many millions of people to watch the show on their television sets, while it’s being broadcast. Unfortunately, ratings are put together based on a sampling of viewers. If you’re a “Nielsen household,” your viewership is being directly counted. If not, it’s really not.
However, if you like Ugly Betty and want to see it continue, there are a few things you can do to help.
- If you’re a Nielsen family, watch the show whenever it’s on. If not, watch it on TV or watch at ABC.com or purchase episodes on iTunes so your viewing will be directly counted. Encourage others to watch the show. You might know a Nielsen family and not be aware of it.
- Talk about the show with others; at school, at work, online, or wherever. Creating a buzz about a show that you’re invested in gets other people interested or might help bring former viewers back.
- Sign the petition below and encourage others to do the same.
- Write to the network. Be respectful. Everyone responds better to courtesy. Tell them how much you enjoy the show, that you’ve signed the petition, and that you want to see it continue. You can use this form or, even better, write via “snail-mail” to: Mr. Stephen McPherson, Chairman, ABC, 500 S. Buena Vista Street, Burbank, CA 91521, RE: Ugly Betty
- Take note of the products that are advertised during the show. Write the advertisers and tell them that you appreciate their sponsoring the show and that you buy their products (if you do).
To ABC, ABC Studios, Reveille, Silent H Productions, Ventanarosa:
We, the undersigned, enjoy watching Ugly Bettyon the ABC network. It’s a great show that successfully merges comedy with drama each week. We have watched the characters for several years and want to continue to see them grow and change.
Please find a way to keep Ugly Betty on the air. We are devoted viewers who will continue to watch the program, encourage others to do the same, and will support the series’ advertisers as well. Please keep it going, either on ABC or, if necessary, on another Disney-owned channel.
Thank you for your consideration.
Image courtesy ABC.