Undercovers: A New Spy Action Series for NBC; Cancel or Keep It?

UndercoversThough NBC’s action/comedy series Chuck has found a devoted audience, the size of the show’s audience hasn’t been big enough to ensure its survival year to year. Now, the network’s trying a more traditional spy series in Undercovers. How will this one fare? A big success or a candidate for quick cancellation?

Undercovers revolves around a married pair of former spys who are pulled back into service after their close friend goes missing. The new series features the talents of Boris Kodjoe, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Mekia Cox, Carter MacIntyre, Gerald McRaney, and Ben Schwartz.

The premiere of Undercovers attracted a disappointing 2.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 8.7 million total viewers. That put the new show in fourth place in the coveted demo and in third place for viewership. It’s certainly a disappointing start, especially if you consider a new show’s premiere is usually as good as the ratings are going to get.

What do you think of Undercovers?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

On the positive side, viewership did rise a bit as the hour progressed. That’s generally a good sign that it won’t lose much steam for episode two. Unfortunately, the numbers aren’t very good to begin with.

To put this in perspective, Mercy premiered in the same timeslot last year and got a 2.3 in the demo and 8.38 million viewers. As you may recall, that show was cancelled after one season and only lasted as long as it did because of The Jay Leno Show fiasco and NBC’s need for original programming.

TV show supportUnless Undercovers bucks the trend and starts to attract some more viewers, it looks like this one will be cancelled after one season as well.

So, what do you think? Did you watch Undercovers? Why do you think it’s not attracting viewers?

John November 24, 2010 at 8:58 pm

I have to agree with other here for what they have written about the show. I watched this show ever week that is was on I felt this was one of the greatest shows I had ever seen. As I read some of the reviews here I can clearly see that there are those that are not will too give this show a chance to survive. How are the rating arrive? What media are used to get the ratings? I watched the office a few time and I felt as a viewer that this show should have been pulled long before it time. Now we have a good show and just because most of the cast are a functional african american family it is getting poor ratings. I feel NBC should take a strong look at what is happen here. Last we I was looking to watch and there we are in the middle and another country royal wedding plans. What are we truly saying and staying to the american people when we have those that are dictating the shows we are somewhat paying to see. Ie… through the cable networks. Here we are again this week with some other show which I will not watch for the simple fact, I am totally disapointed with your programing. Lets not cancel this show and by all means use the media to get the work out to the people.

Joe Ann November 23, 2010 at 5:12 pm

I am beside my self, wrong time slot, little or no advertising. wrong skin color.

mary warren November 22, 2010 at 5:52 pm

i love this show , move it away from survivor; nicaragua or on a thursday.
keep it on.
mjw

Dominique November 19, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Place the show on BET and see if the show gets different ratings and i gurantee you it will

Dominique November 19, 2010 at 5:07 pm

To Hames and Writer!! you guys dont know what you are talking about the show was good as watching CSI Miami!! you knew at the end they were gonna solve each crime and no one complains about that.

Dominique November 19, 2010 at 5:05 pm

THE SHOW ROCKED!! NBC SHOULD’VE TRIED GIVING THE SHOW A NEW TIME SLOT!!! MAYBE 8 OR 9 AND SEE WHAT DIFFERENCE IT WOULDVE MADE OR JUST MORE ADVERTISEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Writer November 8, 2010 at 12:03 am

Writing requires a “suspension of disbelief”. That means your audience must be drawn into believing something that may be unbelievable. This show has the POTENTIAL to be successful, but the PLOTS are easily anticipated. Perhaps the show would be better if the main characters did not function as a “save the world team” in every episode and then wind up with the leads showing their partially clad bodies. The writing should include more mystery and less guns, bombs, and car races. Also the dynamics between the lead characters should include more then one dimension.

Without better writing, better acting dynamics between characters, more intricate character development, and more thought provoking plots the show should make way for something new and hopefully better.

Carlton November 6, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Let’s be honest; if they were Jessica Alba and Zac Efron, the show would be a hit despite, the ridiculous premise. The show is not good at all, the situations, they find themselves are extraordinarily ridiculous. CIA covert spies are not exciting, and far from this attractive!!!!

Renee November 3, 2010 at 8:10 pm

I think Undercovers is a very good show. It has interesting plots, drama and comedy. The all the actors are very good. NBC needs to promote the show more, many people I asked had not even heard of the show.

Hames November 3, 2010 at 3:42 am

Axe this show, it is one of the worst shows I’ve seen on tv.

wil October 27, 2010 at 11:24 am

they need to promote it more…I only found it by accident. It has two interesting leads and as the story develops with the minor characters, it will have good potential.

Rosina November 28, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I agree, they need to do a better job of promoting the show. I love it but I too found it by accident

Hadee October 22, 2010 at 9:06 pm

USA is what NBC used to be. Shows don’t survive on NBC because that station is wack! Undercovers should be on USA and given the same kind of treatment they give Burn Notice and Covert Affairs. NBC is stupid!

Natalie October 21, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Undercovers is a great show, we love it!!!

Natalie October 21, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Keep Undercovers…a postive married couple! Why not!
Two Beautiful People!

Denise October 20, 2010 at 9:19 pm

I love the show and I think NBC should keep it! The timing is perfect running before both Law and Orders. The show is funny, the story line is interesting and believable and the acting is great. I love the fact that they are a young ,black, vibrant, intellegent and sexy couple. Give the show ratings an opportunity to improve before cancelling it.
Suggestion:
The time slot may be an issue for viewers that prefer reality shows as such, this could pose a problem with the ratings and maybe the show can be scheduled on a different night.