Underemployed: Is the MTV Series Essentially Cancelled?

underemployed on MTV canceled soon?MTV has quietly shipped their Unemployed sitcom off to Saturday nights, an evening when their target audience is likely out doing other things. Is this a bad sign for the show’s future?

Underemployed follows the lives and relationships of a group of young people whose lives haven’t worked out as they’d hoped. The cast includes Diego Boneta, Inbar Lavi, Jared Kusnitz, Michelle Ang, Sarah Habel, and Charlie Weber.

The sitcom has been under-performing in the ratings and this season has been averaging just a 0.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 490,000 viewers. Last week’s episode hit a new series low with just 340,000 viewers. (You can check out the week-by-week ratings.)

For comparison’s sake, the last season of Teen Wolf averaged a 0.7 rating and 1.69 million viewers.

The Inbetweeners, another MTV sitcom, only fell as low as 530,000 viewers and that show was cancelled last week.

So yeah, it looks like Underemployed is doomed to be cancelled. On the positive side, there are five episodes left.

What do you think? Do you think that Underemployed should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Is it a better show than the ratings indicate?

Canceled and renewed TV show

235 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Phoebe says

This show is great! I watch it in Australia every week just after it airs, light hearted drama-comedy with characters we grow to love in an instant. More relatable than any other young adult show on TV, will be devastated if its cancelled!

• Lindsey says

& its better than all the other dumb MTV shows out there. At least this has an actual storyline. Ugh ill be so devastated :(

2. natasha says

they can not keep all those stupid trash shows on mtv and cancel they only good one they have I love that show I was just starting to watch mtv again then they do this they cant show one episode of underemployed but they can show rerun after rerun of stupid crap like teen mom 2 and jersey shore and whatever that other one is ridiculousness how ever you spell that crap I love underemployed

3. Anonymous says

This show is my favorite show MTV has produced. It is unlike any other and NEEDS to be kept. I love this show and would be deeply crushed to see it go!

4. James Brookes says

They defiantly shouldn’t cancel this show, it really is a great show mtv just doesn’t advertise it enough. I really do hope it does not get canceled

5. Becca says

This show shouldn’t be cancelled! It’s been so long since I found a series that I loooove to watch! I look forward to the hilarity and realistic lives of these guys and it’s so fun to watch!! I reallllly hope it’s not cancelled. :/

6. Lucy Lenirds says

Ugh! I’m so upset! I literally love this show, and I know it will most likely be cancelled… But it’s way better than Catfish, and the other reality shows on MTV… It’s dissapointing.

7. Camille says

Everything Diego Boneta does FLOPS. keep him away if you don’t want your project to flop.. mean girls 2 and rock of ages were a failure. he sucks..you can’t understand what he says..he is so overrated!

8. Mila A. says

I love this show. Yeah, I am slightly biased cuz Im from Chicago and the scenery is AMAZING but I am a fan of all the actors especially Diego cuz he is a good actor and super HOTTTTT. This show needs to have additional seasons. It’s better than all the other crazy reality shows on MTV.

9. Desiree says

This show should be renew. There so much to tell in the story lines. Sometimes good shows don’t get enough promotion and you forget about them…

10. dontworryaboutit says

I love this show and if it gets cancelled it that will be a huge disappointment because i look forward to watching it every week !!