Underemployed: Is the MTV Series Essentially Cancelled?

underemployed on MTV canceled soon?MTV has quietly shipped their Unemployed sitcom off to Saturday nights, an evening when their target audience is likely out doing other things. Is this a bad sign for the show’s future?

Underemployed follows the lives and relationships of a group of young people whose lives haven’t worked out as they’d hoped. The cast includes Diego Boneta, Inbar Lavi, Jared Kusnitz, Michelle Ang, Sarah Habel, and Charlie Weber.

The sitcom has been under-performing in the ratings and this season has been averaging just a 0.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 490,000 viewers. Last week’s episode hit a new series low with just 340,000 viewers. (You can check out the week-by-week ratings.)

For comparison’s sake, the last season of Teen Wolf averaged a 0.7 rating and 1.69 million viewers.

The Inbetweeners, another MTV sitcom, only fell as low as 530,000 viewers and that show was cancelled last week.

So yeah, it looks like Underemployed is doomed to be cancelled. On the positive side, there are five episodes left.

What do you think? Do you think that Underemployed should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Is it a better show than the ratings indicate?

Anonymous January 27, 2013 at 7:13 am

Don’t cancel! Best show ever

jess January 27, 2013 at 12:09 am

This was the first show on MTV that I can say I haven’t been bored with. Theres just so many reality shows going on that a sitcom is really refreshing. I would hate for this show to be cancelled.

Anonymous January 26, 2013 at 12:22 am

i absolutely love this show!! its older and actually has a plot. come on mtv, no more reality buckwild shows

Liz January 24, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Don’t cancel the show!!! It has a positive message unlike buckwild. Please please DON’T cancel!!!

Anonymous January 24, 2013 at 9:25 pm

This was the only show I watch on a rEgular basis. Please do not cancel. It’s my favorite.

Ellie January 23, 2013 at 11:27 pm

maybe if u brought it back to tues or during the week hello of coarse peeps arnt gonna stay in on sat n watch tv not everybody has a dvr! And u didnt even give it a chance yall changed it to sats like on the 4th episode!

Ellie January 23, 2013 at 11:21 pm

I knew they were up to something when they changed it to sats n replaced it with alota catfish eps. I cant believe it this is a great show its real life scenarios it has a good vibe i love watching it way better than other crap they put on tv they couldnt pay me to watch jersey shore! wut ev underemployed is awesome! <3

Andrea January 23, 2013 at 5:37 pm

This show should NOT be cancelled!!!!!!!!!

Santos January 23, 2013 at 1:39 pm

This show has been a good motivator to people who have just graduated high school and college. I was really into the show, though I may not have had the time to watch it every Saturday night, but I recorded on my DVR and it was the first thing I watched the next morning. They need to renew it for a 2nd season because it definitely is a better show than the ratings indicate!

Anonymous January 23, 2013 at 3:22 am

Noooooo please don’t cancel

kayla January 23, 2013 at 12:13 am

I Love this show!!!! I love the characters and their crazy stories!!! It has to be renewed!!!!!!

Mariela January 22, 2013 at 10:10 pm

I think Underemployed should NOT be cancelled. The actors are great and the story line is very realistic. I am almost done with college and I think the show does a great job of depicting life after college, etc. I don’t know why people aren’t watching, perhaps there hasn’t been enough propaganda around it. But I say, they should do another season!!!! I love the show.

Anna January 22, 2013 at 7:24 pm

It’s literally the best show I’ve ever watched. I fell in love with the characters and story. Plus, they can’t end it now!

Elle January 22, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Do not cancel this show! The storyline is compelling, thoughtful & gripping.
It truly shows life the way we should live it as young adults.

It’s refreshing, cute, and good for laughs! Please don’t cancel it, if more people knew about it, it’d be flourishing, give it time!!!

Jackie January 21, 2013 at 9:10 pm

this show should NOT be cancelled!!!!