Underemployed: Is the MTV Series Essentially Cancelled?

underemployed on MTV canceled soon?MTV has quietly shipped their Unemployed sitcom off to Saturday nights, an evening when their target audience is likely out doing other things. Is this a bad sign for the show’s future?

Underemployed follows the lives and relationships of a group of young people whose lives haven’t worked out as they’d hoped. The cast includes Diego Boneta, Inbar Lavi, Jared Kusnitz, Michelle Ang, Sarah Habel, and Charlie Weber.

The sitcom has been under-performing in the ratings and this season has been averaging just a 0.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 490,000 viewers. Last week’s episode hit a new series low with just 340,000 viewers. (You can check out the week-by-week ratings.)

For comparison’s sake, the last season of Teen Wolf averaged a 0.7 rating and 1.69 million viewers.

The Inbetweeners, another MTV sitcom, only fell as low as 530,000 viewers and that show was cancelled last week.

So yeah, it looks like Underemployed is doomed to be cancelled. On the positive side, there are five episodes left.

What do you think? Do you think that Underemployed should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Is it a better show than the ratings indicate?

sam February 3, 2013 at 9:41 am

I LOVE THE SHOW……im gonna die if they cancel it they should cancel awkward cause that show sucks but this show is freakin awesomeeeeee love it love it love it

Anna February 3, 2013 at 8:33 am

There is no doubt that there has to be more episodes of this show!

Lola February 3, 2013 at 8:30 am

I love this show!!! And my friends love it, too. It definitely needs season 2.

B February 2, 2013 at 9:21 am

I love this show!! just finished the first season… I hope so musch that they won’t cancel it… they should cancel geordie shore or even awkward but not this:((

Julia H February 1, 2013 at 9:51 am

I love this show so much, I can’t believe that not more people are watching it…I want a season 2 so badly, it’s one of my favorite tv-shows of ALL times, just watched the last episode, and I just want more of it! Please do not cancel it…!

Claire January 31, 2013 at 9:54 pm

I love underemployed ! I think it’s one of the best shows that has ever aired on MTV please please please don’t cancel it

Coral January 31, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Don’t cancel it! :( I love this show and I’ve been checking back every week just to see if it was on! I think this show is awesome and I want them to continue it

Mackenzie January 31, 2013 at 4:42 pm

I.LOVE.UNDEREMPLOYED. END OF STORY. MTV will play it by the time I’m done doing everything I can to see keep watching it. Its kinda a problem when its on Saturday night but I record of every time I watch on Sundays! I can’t believe cancelling this show is even an option right now BC its like my life!

lanea January 31, 2013 at 5:13 am

YES, YES, YES!!!! MTV should continue this show, I love it although I could not actually watch it when it aired but I did record every episode. I love this show and so want to see more seasons with the same main cast, I hate when shows start to change the cast. the show then will not be the same. SO YES PLEASE CONTINUE UNDEREMPLOYED!!!!

Anonymous January 30, 2013 at 2:36 am

I love this show! Last show worth watching on MTV. They should keep it going and market it better!

Rachel January 29, 2013 at 3:29 pm

this is one of the only good shows left on television! if it gets cancelled, im going to MTV myself to kick some ass!

Ellen January 29, 2013 at 2:23 pm

NO I think the show is awesome and I’m only 16 years old !!!

Georgina January 29, 2013 at 1:45 am

boooooo! I relate to this show I love it. I just finished college just had a baby and I’m unemployed its speaks to me! I hope it stays on!

Anonymous January 27, 2013 at 2:18 pm

i love this show being 23 i actually like watching this, compared to the high school dramas that mtv seems to love. I really hope it dosent go off air, they need to give it a little more time because i was just really getting into it.

Lee January 27, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Noooo… I love this show just put it on a monday and the ratings will be better, I always end up watching ob demand but im addicted, I want more