Underemployed: Is the MTV Series Essentially Cancelled?

underemployed on MTV canceled soon?MTV has quietly shipped their Unemployed sitcom off to Saturday nights, an evening when their target audience is likely out doing other things. Is this a bad sign for the show’s future?

Underemployed follows the lives and relationships of a group of young people whose lives haven’t worked out as they’d hoped. The cast includes Diego Boneta, Inbar Lavi, Jared Kusnitz, Michelle Ang, Sarah Habel, and Charlie Weber.

The sitcom has been under-performing in the ratings and this season has been averaging just a 0.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 490,000 viewers. Last week’s episode hit a new series low with just 340,000 viewers. (You can check out the week-by-week ratings.)

For comparison’s sake, the last season of Teen Wolf averaged a 0.7 rating and 1.69 million viewers.

The Inbetweeners, another MTV sitcom, only fell as low as 530,000 viewers and that show was cancelled last week.

So yeah, it looks like Underemployed is doomed to be cancelled. On the positive side, there are five episodes left.

What do you think? Do you think that Underemployed should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Is it a better show than the ratings indicate?

Canceled and renewed TV show

235 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. sam says

I LOVE THE SHOW……im gonna die if they cancel it they should cancel awkward cause that show sucks but this show is freakin awesomeeeeee love it love it love it

2. B says

I love this show!! just finished the first season… I hope so musch that they won’t cancel it… they should cancel geordie shore or even awkward but not this:((

3. Julia H says

I love this show so much, I can’t believe that not more people are watching it…I want a season 2 so badly, it’s one of my favorite tv-shows of ALL times, just watched the last episode, and I just want more of it! Please do not cancel it…!

4. Claire says

I love underemployed ! I think it’s one of the best shows that has ever aired on MTV please please please don’t cancel it

5. Coral says

Don’t cancel it! :( I love this show and I’ve been checking back every week just to see if it was on! I think this show is awesome and I want them to continue it

6. Mackenzie says

I.LOVE.UNDEREMPLOYED. END OF STORY. MTV will play it by the time I’m done doing everything I can to see keep watching it. Its kinda a problem when its on Saturday night but I record of every time I watch on Sundays! I can’t believe cancelling this show is even an option right now BC its like my life!

7. lanea says

YES, YES, YES!!!! MTV should continue this show, I love it although I could not actually watch it when it aired but I did record every episode. I love this show and so want to see more seasons with the same main cast, I hate when shows start to change the cast. the show then will not be the same. SO YES PLEASE CONTINUE UNDEREMPLOYED!!!!

8. Rachel says

this is one of the only good shows left on television! if it gets cancelled, im going to MTV myself to kick some ass!

9. Georgina says

boooooo! I relate to this show I love it. I just finished college just had a baby and I’m unemployed its speaks to me! I hope it stays on!

10. Anonymous says

i love this show being 23 i actually like watching this, compared to the high school dramas that mtv seems to love. I really hope it dosent go off air, they need to give it a little more time because i was just really getting into it.

11. Lee says

Noooo… I love this show just put it on a monday and the ratings will be better, I always end up watching ob demand but im addicted, I want more