V: Great Debut Ratings But Will They Last? Cancel or Keep It?

V cancel or keepThe “visitors” are back — with a vengeance. ABC’s remake of V, the NBC mini-series and show of the same name, kicked off (and kicked butt) last night. The numbers look really good but, most importantly, will they last.

The current incarnation of V begins as spaceships appear in the skies over 29 international cities and a benevolent leader, Anna (Morena Baccarin), tells the people of Earth that they come in peace. Several humans doubt the aliens’ sincerity and FBI agent Erica Evans (Elizabeth Mitchell) learns that the aliens have been among us for years, infiltrating governments and businesses. The series also stars Morris Chestnut, Joel Gretsch, Logan Huffman, Lourdes Benedicto, Laura Vandervoort, and Scott Wolf.

The new V pilot has gotten some mixed reviews but any negativity didn’t seem to discourage TV viewers from giving the show a try. Last night, the premiere scored the highest premiere ratings of the 2009-10 season. V averaged 14.3 million viewers and managed a 5.2/14 rating/share, beating out NCIS in the demo.

But, will it last?

As you may have heard, there’s been quite a bit of backstage upheaval. Series production was put on hold after four episodes so that producers could work on improving the scripts and realign them with the pilot. Not a good sign.

Should the new V be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

ABC later announced that the first season would be split into two parts. Four episodes will air in November and the rest will start airing after the Olympics in March 2010. The network claimed that this was being done to promote the series as more of an “event.”

Yesterday, it was reported that Scott Peters had been replaced by Scott Rosenbaum as showrunner on the series. Writer/executive producer Jeffrey Bell, who’d originally been brought in to be the post-pilot showrunner, is expected to leave the show altogether.

TV show supportBased on last night’s ratings, viewers seemed to like what they saw and stuck with it since viewership grew as the hour progressed. Based on that, the audience looks ready for more but it remains to be seen if the show will be able to meet their expectations.

What do you think? Do you like this new version? Will you tune in next week? Is ABC’s strategy of breaking up the season a good idea or will it kill any ratings momentum (ala Heroes, season one)? Cancel or keep it?

Desiree H November 12, 2009 at 8:52 am

The first episode was a bit dull until the end…but I’ve read books and watched other shows that started out a little slow and got better fast. I haven’t watched this week’s episode yet, but I’m willing to stick it out for a bit. I think breaking the episodes up is a death sentence unless they really pick up the pace.

susan November 11, 2009 at 9:16 pm

My friends and I were so excited for V. We made it through half of the first episode and turned it off. It’s bad. Cancel and save Eastwick!

Anthony Franz November 8, 2009 at 5:21 pm

If they cancel this show, ABC will be dead to me.

Jamhog November 8, 2009 at 9:41 am

After watching the SYFY channels re-airing the 19 episodes of the original “V” tv series my stink-ometer is on 11! Sitting through that was pure agony! (and fun) But I do find myself missing it. I loved the mini series as a teen but I didn’t remember any of the series episodes (thank god!).

Jim November 6, 2009 at 11:56 am

@WolvenSpectre

BSG had a full year between the pilot (mini-series) and season 1. So the break isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Perhaps they didn’t like how some of the episodes turned out and wanted time to redo them. At least I hope that’s what they are thinking.

WolvenSpectre November 5, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Compared to the original miniseries which was one of the best uses of Sci Fi used as a way to deal with really hard real world issues for the time, and also blended in some of the best themes of Sci Fi classics of the past, This pilot was bad.

I’ll be a little forgiving as it is a pilot and they could have been just trying to do too much in too little of a time. That being said there was none of the suspense or mystery the original had. I also think it was too heavy handed bringing terrorism in yet AGAIN!

I am hoping for a BSG or T:TSCC quality, but with the huge hiatus and the problems you mention about the show direction, I am beginning to wonder if this show shouldn’t be scrapped and started over.

Joe Doc November 5, 2009 at 10:29 am

Keep it!

Shana November 5, 2009 at 9:02 am

Loved it! I cannot wait for the next episode! :D

Chuck J November 5, 2009 at 5:57 am

Keep it, Morena Baccarin is fantastic and the rest of the cast is strong. The more Sci-fi on the networks, the happier I am. Hopefully it does hold up, the pilot was very good.

Leo November 5, 2009 at 5:19 am

Sorry it’s on the same time as NCIS, I won’t be seeing it unless they move it. It should be on Wednesday, nothing good is on Wednesday night.

Teylin November 5, 2009 at 3:56 am

The show was amazing. Just as the old V was back in the 80’s. I hope against hope that what they are planing doesn’t ruin V completely but just look at the last V series. The old V failed just after one season. ABC must look over all the mistakes of the past in order to make the version of V truly succeed

Manuel November 5, 2009 at 12:13 am

Loved It!!!! Huge keep!!!

President of The USA November 4, 2009 at 9:59 pm

Spare us all the agony and cancel this abomination.

Cel November 4, 2009 at 9:21 pm

It was great but I wish they wouldnt screw with the schedule, that’s never good for any series.

Dave November 4, 2009 at 6:22 pm

I loved it. Hopefully when it comes back next spring ot goes up against American Idol and kicsk Idols butt. I hate all reality TV and Idol most of all. V rocks!!!!