V: Great Debut Ratings But Will They Last? Cancel or Keep It?

V cancel or keepThe “visitors” are back — with a vengeance. ABC’s remake of V, the NBC mini-series and show of the same name, kicked off (and kicked butt) last night. The numbers look really good but, most importantly, will they last.

The current incarnation of V begins as spaceships appear in the skies over 29 international cities and a benevolent leader, Anna (Morena Baccarin), tells the people of Earth that they come in peace. Several humans doubt the aliens’ sincerity and FBI agent Erica Evans (Elizabeth Mitchell) learns that the aliens have been among us for years, infiltrating governments and businesses. The series also stars Morris Chestnut, Joel Gretsch, Logan Huffman, Lourdes Benedicto, Laura Vandervoort, and Scott Wolf.

The new V pilot has gotten some mixed reviews but any negativity didn’t seem to discourage TV viewers from giving the show a try. Last night, the premiere scored the highest premiere ratings of the 2009-10 season. V averaged 14.3 million viewers and managed a 5.2/14 rating/share, beating out NCIS in the demo.

But, will it last?

As you may have heard, there’s been quite a bit of backstage upheaval. Series production was put on hold after four episodes so that producers could work on improving the scripts and realign them with the pilot. Not a good sign.

Should the new V be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

ABC later announced that the first season would be split into two parts. Four episodes will air in November and the rest will start airing after the Olympics in March 2010. The network claimed that this was being done to promote the series as more of an “event.”

Yesterday, it was reported that Scott Peters had been replaced by Scott Rosenbaum as showrunner on the series. Writer/executive producer Jeffrey Bell, who’d originally been brought in to be the post-pilot showrunner, is expected to leave the show altogether.

TV show supportBased on last night’s ratings, viewers seemed to like what they saw and stuck with it since viewership grew as the hour progressed. Based on that, the audience looks ready for more but it remains to be seen if the show will be able to meet their expectations.

What do you think? Do you like this new version? Will you tune in next week? Is ABC’s strategy of breaking up the season a good idea or will it kill any ratings momentum (ala Heroes, season one)? Cancel or keep it?

Chad Deckers Forehead March 1, 2011 at 11:46 pm

This version of V is garbage and I would feel nothing at all if it is cancelled. The original version of V was one of the greatest shows of all time and I still remember many of the great moments from the mini-series and the first and only season of the TV show 20 some odd years ago. I have watched 4 or 5 episodes of this newer, crappily written, uninteresting piece of garbage and honest to god, if you were to ask me to recall anything about it all I would be able to come up with is that the beautiful CG scenes are marred by very amatuerish lighting and shadows that just never seem to match up, and, also the fact that Chad Deckers forehead is so enormous that he could join the X-men as FORHEADMAN!

Steve February 23, 2011 at 7:31 am

I HATE THIS NEW “V” TV SHOW. IT IS AN INSULT TO THE 80s “V”. PLEASE PUT IT OUT OF ITS MISERY AND CANCEL IT! RIGHT NOW THE MAIN GOOD SHOW WORTH WATCHING IN THE WEEK IS “THE VAMPIRE DIARIES”.

M-Blac October 21, 2010 at 10:34 pm

What they need to do is get rid of grey’s anatomy and keep “V”

RAY October 9, 2010 at 8:12 am

I think they absolutly need to keep V!!! if they sont i will continue not to watch these other programs that they have on in its place!! It is action packed and very enjoyable to watch!! the reason that so many people stopped watching it is that u played a few episodes then u didnt see it the next week alot of people thought it was thur when it really wasnt!! ABC will be a big mistake putting another reality show in its place!! KEEP V ON TELEVISION!! it gives us a chance to explore our imagination!!

steve June 7, 2010 at 10:48 am

please please please keep v on tv……..love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous May 26, 2010 at 11:36 am

I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!! Please, don’t cancel it too.

Chris May 19, 2010 at 10:53 pm

V needs to be kept! most amazing show ive watched in years. no the acting does not suck between the mother and son. its her way of showing she knows something more than the son actually does so the audience can see it. she cant explain due to the vest he always wears. watch the show and then talk you idiot. I hope i see this show again for a long time. like i said, amazing!

Morgan May 13, 2010 at 3:25 pm

KEEP V!!! This is one of the few shows I ACTUALLY LIKE!!! I will hate the people who cancel this show if they do. Father Jack Danely is my all time favorite and would really like to see the relationships between all the characters build. KEEP THIS SHOW, I LOVE IT!!!

V Fan May 3, 2010 at 5:37 pm

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely want it to stay. I watch every time and get more clued. I want more.

Anonymous April 24, 2010 at 8:58 pm

I love this show so far haters shut up and go away I WANT TO KEEP it once lost is gone i need somthing to fill that whole and this show will help alot !!!!! please keep it

you serious? April 15, 2010 at 7:11 am

This V show is awful. I dont care about any of the characters. I actually hope the aliens kill everyone in the show! Why do the “Visitors” call themselves “Visitors”? The drama between the mom and her son(needs acting lessons) is terrible. Why is there a dramatic scene with everyone crying about the guy stuck on the ship? They didn’t build his character enough to validate a scene like that. Who writes these things?

Jaymez April 14, 2010 at 8:28 pm

I love the show I agree however too many commercials during the show but I like it and plan on watching it further. keep it !!

andy January 18, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Hey, ABC!

Let ā€œVā€™ run its 1st season!

Cutting it short, after 4 eps and a super-long hiatus, is incredibly stupid. Have a one- or two-night marathon of the original episodes, shortly prior to starting up the new ones, and run the entire 1st season.

8bithero December 29, 2009 at 8:38 am

I thought it was cancelled.

Oh well, it isn’t good anyway. Let it die with dignity.

Kevin December 22, 2009 at 10:50 am

It was nice to see a fresh view of V. However, the show is just dragging. The story should be a bit further along than it is. I would guess this is from the overload of commercials vs story time. Since they dropped the episode in mid story, they have pretty much lost it’s main viewership. I can remember the 80’s versions and…oh I said too much. Laughing