V: ABC Cancels Sci-Fi TV Series; No Season Three

V season three canceledSadly, the Visitors aren’t among us any longer. After two short seasons, ABC has cancelled their V TV series.

A reimagining of the original V, this series tells the tale of what happens when an advanced alien race arrives of Earth professing their desire to help mankind. Fortunately, not everyone trusts them. The second season features the talents of Charles Mesure, Elizabeth Mitchell as Erica Evans, Joel Gretsch, Laura Vandervoort, Logan Huffman, Morena Baccarin, Morris Chestnut, and Scott Wolf.

For season one, V ended up averaging a 2.25 rating in the coveted 18-49 demographic and 5.7 million average viewers. It was “on the bubble” but ended up being renewed for a 13 episode second season. The network was hoping that the show would catch on and the ratings would improve.

Should V have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

ABC later reduced the episode order to just 10 installments and debuted them mid-season. Unfortunately, ABC’s gamble didn’t pay off. Season two of V ended up averaging only a 1.9 in the demo and 5.49 million viewers.

Though the network and producers maintained that the show was still in contention for next season, it was clear that there would only be a third season of V if ABC was willing to gamble once again. In the end, they weren’t.

ABC confirmed today that V has been cancelled after two seasons and 22 episodes. The series finale aired on March 15th and, unfortunately, there were lots of unresolved cliffhangers. Hopefully the producers will someday share what they had in mind for season three.

What do you think? Are you sad that V won’t be returning next season? Why do you think the series didn’t catch on?

Wondering where the rest of your shows stand? Check our ABC cancel/renew page.

Chuck April 4, 2014 at 1:36 pm

So, as was done when Firefly was cancelled and Serenity was born to wrap up all the loose ends, so should the same be done with V. A major 2 hour motion picture that will do VERY well at the box office. All the original characters – of course – and kick-ass effects that only can come out of Hollywood. The writers will have to bring their A-Game and a studio worthy of such a project needs to (in the words of another great movie line – “Nut Up Or Shut Up!”) In the world of remakes and sequels, V needs to have a (happy?) ending.

Jessica Sindora March 29, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Now more then any is the time to bring back V its all about aliens and ufo’s ancient aliens. Now is the time to bring back V please think abouit. Its a great show. Was myfave. EEveryone i know watches all the aline/ ufo shows. Ancient aliens ect. V will be a hit now. It is all about timing and.now is.the time.

One of the V's fan March 24, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Please can you make a season 3? Pretty please! I love V’s serise, it will be a horrible if they won’t make one. Most people will love to watch season 3, you know. -sniff-

Arthur and Neila March 18, 2014 at 7:40 pm

We love the show and is sad that we did not get to see the end of the story. We cannot believe that ABC will do this to their loyal viewer. Very disappointed of ABC management.

Lamas March 18, 2014 at 5:43 pm

These series are great! I like the sensemoral in them and these shows at some point many true stuff about the humans. Even if it ‘s a sci fic “illussion” in all that, I’m not so sure that it’s really so!

Someone “higher up” don´t want that the producer Kenneth Johnson continues to a new level in this great story. There are to many religions and political aspects. The story gives an intresting point of view that someone “unknow who or whom” wants that story gone. IF I WAS A VERY RICH PERSON I WILL WITHOUT ANY DOUBT GIVE THE ECONOMICAL SUPPORT FOR A SEASONG 3 and so on! The story has an enormous potential!
Anyway thats my opinion about it!
Very disapointed!

I personaly dont´t Think the results of the show are really true. IS A LIE!! Is just very easy to say that the seies seasong 2 had not get good rating, is BULL***** from my perspective.

anonymous March 18, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Abc has done this to several shows that I liked. They keep the crap and throw the good stuff out the window no matter what their viewers say. That’s why after they cancelled “V”, I quit watching their network, no matter what they have on. ABC suxs!!!

Anonymous March 14, 2014 at 8:32 pm

I loved this show, and almost everyone I know did too, sad that they keep the crap on TV a pull the good stuff! I think it’s funny how a lot of shows I watch now most of which I didn’t even know about until the second or third season! So with thus said, thus show would have been the same and catch on later, and then pull ratings cause it was amazing!

patrick brannen March 6, 2014 at 2:18 pm

I was and am a Star Trek fan,and they cancelled that series. But it came back as in the movies and more TV series,even better than the original. Hopefully this will happen to “V”.

Jonathan Strange March 6, 2014 at 2:07 am

It is infuriating how all the shows I seem to get completely wrapped up in just get dropped. I loved V start to finish even though it shouldn’t have finished like that. They really need to bring the show back. TV isn’t worth watching anymore all the good shows like this one get canned but all this reality show mess gets to stay going. I just don’t get it ratings or not come on people get it together!!!

Bart maes February 28, 2014 at 6:42 am

Its anoying i’m depressed we want a third season please

Liane February 19, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Series three or no series 3; it’s infuriating yet again to have a show end, never to be resolved. We go on a journey with the characters and then suddenly it just gets pulled. Rating or whatever… I don’t care. How hard would it have been to end the series with more of a resolution? Or at least for ABC to have let them know it was unlikely to be renewed. Even if the writers didn’t know for sure, they could’ve wound it for the season and then opened it up again if there were a new season, i don’t know if I’m making any sense, but I just want to express how annoying it is. It’s not just this show, but I kinda regret investing my time into it only to have it end abruptly with no answered questions. Remind me not to bother at all in the future.

Mica February 13, 2014 at 9:05 pm

I loved loved loved V and was terribly disappointed when the show was cancelled even more so that Desperate Housewives, and that was my number one.. I even imagined myself playing a role as a visitor..”bring back V bring back V bring back V”

Liam February 9, 2014 at 12:46 pm

It would be great if series three could be reintroduced I have just finished off the last episode of series two and found the show to be brilliant.
This show is so authentic you would almost believe it to be true.
It is way above most other Scifi programmes (exception Star Trek off course)for authenticity and quality.The sets ,ships ,blue energy, Concordia they are all very realistic which for us Scifi buffs makes for enjoyable viewing.Not to mention the actors they are all excellent as well.
Obviously the reason for not producing the third season is financial but come on people drive on with it the Worlds finances are improving all the time,it is a great show.

patrick brannen February 5, 2014 at 1:48 pm

I thought the V series was great and I did not know what happened to it.Why would they cancel such a good series ?

Anonymous December 27, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Please. air this show again you will get better results