V: Producer Says ABC Series Has Chance for Season Three

VOne of the producers of the new V thinks there’s still a chance that TV show will be renewed for season three. On the show’s official Facebook page, Steve Pearlman wrote: “Despite what you read online, the ratings for V have been OK and the show has a chance of being renewed for a third season.” Is that really true?

For season one, V ended up averaging a 2.25 rating in the coveted 18-49 demographic and 5.7 million average viewers. It was “on the bubble” but ended up being renewed for season two. ABC has a history of taking a chance on struggling freshman shows and decided to bet on this one over lower-rated FlashForward. Sometimes the network’s gambling pays off (Castle) but usually, it doesn’t (Samantha Who?, Better Off Ted, October Road, etc.).

After ABC ordered 13 episodes for season two, the network cut it back to 10 installments. That’s not a good sign but ABC execs supposedly felt they just wouldn’t need as many episodes because of the bevy of original programming they already have. Lots of this season’s new and returning shows haven’t even premiered yet because there’s no room on the schedule.

So far this season, V has been pretty consistent and has averaged a 2.0 in the demo and 6.02 million viewers. While that’s an increase in total viewers, that’s a drop in the key demo which is what really counts. V is currently the second-lowest rated scripted show on the network, just above Detroit 1-8-7 and just below No Ordinary Family.

So, Pearlman is indeed correct that a third season is still possible but, unless the ratings improve, it seems unlikely. ABC gave the series a chance last time and the risk hasn’t paid off for them so far. The ratings have dropped, not improved. If they’re going to take a gamble on a struggling show for next season it would make more sense to try another one.

What do you think? Will the V ratings improve? Will ABC give the series another chance — season three — or will it be cancelled?

Canceled and renewed TV show

174 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Nigel Tompkins says

Hi, you have to bring back a series 3 of V, leaving it where season 2 ends is ridiculous. Such a fantastic 2nd season with no ending, doesn’t make any sense, why show it at all until you have an ending in sight. So popular here.

2. Adrian Quah says

Yes I miss the series V alot and The Original Miniseries V, The Final Battle on DVD, is not finish because it should have the last DVD where Diana gets back to her people! So how about making the very last V on DVD and show season 3 Please?

3. Mike says

What No more V>>????????????

Why not??????????????

Come on get busy V producers we want V!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GRRRRRRRRRR

• Lynz27 says

1/21/2013

YES, it was cancelled- but perhaps those idiots who in 2011 cancelled the series V are no longer in chaarge- I would be willing to support, financially funds to get the series back again on ABC or any other network- It was the BEST and has tremendous viewing power.

Just starting a beginning to get things rolling again-

Love, Love V
      Lynz27

4. irene medina says

When I heard V was canceled I was so upset I wanted to cry. My other favorite show was
    boby of proof. Now I will not see anything on ABC. I’ll stick to the CW channel-Vampire
    Diaries, Supernatural, the new shows Arrow an Beauty and the Beast. why not sell it to
    the SI-FI or CW channel.

• James says

I am with you on ABC. After they cancelled V and put on so may terrible new shows, only 2 of which survived the purge as the year went on, I watch the news and Shark tank on ABC. It is too bad the show was not making stallar ratings, but the viewers were there. At the least, ABC could have farmed it out to Sy-Fy or TNT. That could have given it a basis for up to two more seasons to conclude in some satisfactory manner.

5. steven goudie says

i hope the tv show v comes back speacial for people the brought the blu ray dvd s form v season 1 and 2 like me is unfair and waste of money or maybe the company can give my money back season is not finish so is like you buy a car without motor so come back soon please

6. George says

No 3th season?
    Mission impossible? NO.
    This is a serie that shows a possible ‘tomorrow’.
    I hope it will be continued soon!

7. Nate says

If ABC doesn’t want V. Why come the Producer take it to the SI-FI Channel where most SI-FI buffs are! Wow how hard can this be!

8. bliss blossoms says

WHY!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A HORIBBLE THING TO DO TO YOUR FAITHFUL VIEWERS. I FEEL JIPPED AND DE-BLISSED!! PLEASES RE CONSIDER DONT COMMIT TV SERIES SUICIDE! PLEASE!

9. rod says

I am also a fan of the V series, and hope that the series comes back soon. There is too much garbage on tv these days.I love this and I love that, house wives of this and house wives of that.Reality shows that are not reality.Good thing i still have the first seasons tevo’ed . PLEASE BRING THE SERIES BACK !!!!

10. Rose says

I hope it comes back. I enjoyed that show. So much crap on tv. Too many reality
    shows, apparently most of the country likes to watch that instead of t.v. series.
    Too bad. Two of my favorite shows, V and Gifted Man gone.