V: Producer Says ABC Series Has Chance for Season Three

VOne of the producers of the new V thinks there’s still a chance that TV show will be renewed for season three. On the show’s official Facebook page, Steve Pearlman wrote: “Despite what you read online, the ratings for V have been OK and the show has a chance of being renewed for a third season.” Is that really true?

For season one, V ended up averaging a 2.25 rating in the coveted 18-49 demographic and 5.7 million average viewers. It was “on the bubble” but ended up being renewed for season two. ABC has a history of taking a chance on struggling freshman shows and decided to bet on this one over lower-rated FlashForward. Sometimes the network’s gambling pays off (Castle) but usually, it doesn’t (Samantha Who?, Better Off Ted, October Road, etc.).

After ABC ordered 13 episodes for season two, the network cut it back to 10 installments. That’s not a good sign but ABC execs supposedly felt they just wouldn’t need as many episodes because of the bevy of original programming they already have. Lots of this season’s new and returning shows haven’t even premiered yet because there’s no room on the schedule.

So far this season, V has been pretty consistent and has averaged a 2.0 in the demo and 6.02 million viewers. While that’s an increase in total viewers, that’s a drop in the key demo which is what really counts. V is currently the second-lowest rated scripted show on the network, just above Detroit 1-8-7 and just below No Ordinary Family.

So, Pearlman is indeed correct that a third season is still possible but, unless the ratings improve, it seems unlikely. ABC gave the series a chance last time and the risk hasn’t paid off for them so far. The ratings have dropped, not improved. If they’re going to take a gamble on a struggling show for next season it would make more sense to try another one.

What do you think? Will the V ratings improve? Will ABC give the series another chance — season three — or will it be cancelled?

Nigel Tompkins February 28, 2014 at 10:48 am

Hi, you have to bring back a series 3 of V, leaving it where season 2 ends is ridiculous. Such a fantastic 2nd season with no ending, doesn’t make any sense, why show it at all until you have an ending in sight. So popular here.

Andrias January 11, 2014 at 10:51 pm

those guys are stupid. the lEAST YOU COULD DO IS END THE SHOWWW! not just walk out the door.

Adrian Quah March 14, 2013 at 5:40 am

Yes I miss the series V alot and The Original Miniseries V, The Final Battle on DVD, is not finish because it should have the last DVD where Diana gets back to her people! So how about making the very last V on DVD and show season 3 Please?

Mike December 8, 2012 at 11:55 pm

What No more V>>????????????

Why not??????????????

Come on get busy V producers we want V!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GRRRRRRRRRR

jeca November 20, 2012 at 3:42 am

give us 3rd season . :)

Lynz27 January 21, 2013 at 11:33 pm

1/21/2013

YES, it was cancelled- but perhaps those idiots who in 2011 cancelled the series V are no longer in chaarge- I would be willing to support, financially funds to get the series back again on ABC or any other network- It was the BEST and has tremendous viewing power.

Just starting a beginning to get things rolling again-

Love, Love V
Lynz27

irene medina November 5, 2012 at 8:21 pm

When I heard V was canceled I was so upset I wanted to cry. My other favorite show was
boby of proof. Now I will not see anything on ABC. I’ll stick to the CW channel-Vampire
Diaries, Supernatural, the new shows Arrow an Beauty and the Beast. why not sell it to
the SI-FI or CW channel.

James October 26, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I am with you on ABC. After they cancelled V and put on so may terrible new shows, only 2 of which survived the purge as the year went on, I watch the news and Shark tank on ABC. It is too bad the show was not making stallar ratings, but the viewers were there. At the least, ABC could have farmed it out to Sy-Fy or TNT. That could have given it a basis for up to two more seasons to conclude in some satisfactory manner.

James October 26, 2013 at 4:05 pm

“many”

Lisa September 25, 2012 at 5:44 pm

How do I vote to help the ratings go up??? I don’t like to many showes, and I LOVED “V” !!

steven goudie September 15, 2012 at 12:21 pm

i hope the tv show v comes back speacial for people the brought the blu ray dvd s form v season 1 and 2 like me is unfair and waste of money or maybe the company can give my money back season is not finish so is like you buy a car without motor so come back soon please

George August 29, 2012 at 3:39 am

No 3th season?
Mission impossible? NO.
This is a serie that shows a possible ‘tomorrow’.
I hope it will be continued soon!

Nate June 30, 2012 at 7:18 pm

If ABC doesn’t want V. Why come the Producer take it to the SI-FI Channel where most SI-FI buffs are! Wow how hard can this be!

Lisa September 25, 2012 at 5:46 pm

This is true. At least we would be able to watch it, that would be GREAT!!!

Sandi May 24, 2012 at 5:10 pm

No, you can’t stop the show, it was one of the best series on. Please come back.

Lisa September 25, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I agree!!

bliss blossoms May 22, 2012 at 10:30 am

WHY!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A HORIBBLE THING TO DO TO YOUR FAITHFUL VIEWERS. I FEEL JIPPED AND DE-BLISSED!! PLEASES RE CONSIDER DONT COMMIT TV SERIES SUICIDE! PLEASE!

rod May 16, 2012 at 6:50 pm

I am also a fan of the V series, and hope that the series comes back soon. There is too much garbage on tv these days.I love this and I love that, house wives of this and house wives of that.Reality shows that are not reality.Good thing i still have the first seasons tevo’ed . PLEASE BRING THE SERIES BACK !!!!

Rose May 14, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I hope it comes back. I enjoyed that show. So much crap on tv. Too many reality
shows, apparently most of the country likes to watch that instead of t.v. series.
Too bad. Two of my favorite shows, V and Gifted Man gone.

Jim Stoddard April 26, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I am a huge V fan and will keep my everythings crossed and hope V comes back sooner than later :-)