V: ABC TV Show Renewed for Season Two

V renewed season twoThe aliens came and, despite some ratings challenges, they are staying — for at least one more season. ABC has renewed the V TV show for a second season.

Like the original, the new V revolves around the arrival of aliens to the planet Earth. While the visitors profess that they’ve come in peace, their ulterior motives slowly become clear. The cast includes Elizabeth Mitchell, Morena Baccarin, Morris Chestnut, Joel Gretsch, Logan Huffman, Lourdes Benedicto, Laura Vandervoort, and Scott Wolf.

The series got off to a strong start in November with a 5.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 14.3 million total viewers. At the time, it was the highest rated debut of the 2009-10 season. Unfortunately, a large percentage of those viewers didn’t return for the second week. Episode two brought in a 3.8 rating and 10.7 million.

Week three dropped yet again, to a 3.1 in the demo and 9.26 million viewers. Thankfully, the ratings decline evened off from there. Unfortunately, due to some backstage issues, ABC put the show on hiatus for several months.

Are you glad that V has been renewed?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

When V returned, the show’s ratings were understandably lower than they had been. Still, the drop could have been far worse than it was — attracting a 2.8 in the demo and 7.03 million viewers. The numbers later slipped to a low of a 1.9 rating and 4.87 million.

But now, in the final weeks of the season, V is starting to show a little growth. Last week’s brought a 2.1 and 5.37 million. This week attracted a 2.3 and 5.69 million. These increases seem to mirror the growth in its lead-in’s viewership (Lost) but they are increases nonetheless.

While it would seem that ABC should realistically cancel V, the network has a tradition of showing some faith in one or two struggling programs each year. It would seem that V is one of those shows. According to executive producer Scott Rosenbaum, ABC has renewed V for a second season of 13 episodes.

Will this gamble pay off? ABC has had mixed results in the past. Samantha Who? didn’t work out while Castle has grown nicely. With an ongoing sci-fi storyline, V isn’t exactly the type of show that’s inviting to new viewers. Perhaps the network has a plan. Time will tell.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear that V has been renewed for season two? Are you surprised? What would you do to boost viewership?

Not a Happy Camper October 11, 2011 at 9:03 am

God ABC really just because u dont have the huge amount of fan following cause it is a sci fi style show they yank the plug granted not all folks like sci fi show’s but there are many many of us sci fi followers we see a sci fi show we usually will watch it no matter what as there is not enough for us on tv. I was talking about V for 6 months before the showed aired I was so happy religiously followed even though u guys kept yanking it and would put it on break sometimes for 2 weeks sometimes for several weeks….even with all that aggravation I held on I love my sci fi shows and this is the reason I prefer not to watch sci fi shows on ABC/NBC/CBS worst networks for pulling things off the air to soon maybe you all need to start taking polls from those of us who love sci fi dont go off of those who say sci fi is ok or so so cause then you will never get it and understand it….It’s sad to see that V has now been added to the the list of shows that could have been something great but barely got to even have 2 seasons.

Rachelle September 29, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I love this show and pray that it is not canceled. I to remember it from my youth, however this new show is SO MUCH BETTER!!

Reaver September 6, 2011 at 6:32 am

Well, like the true idiots they are, ABC did indeed cancel V. The decision was made in late August. I liked the show and thought it was just getting really good. With a whole slew of garbage shows out there, V was actually a bright spot. Hopefully, it will get picked up by someone else. If not, then there is one more incomplete show that rides off into TV oblivion. Thanks ABC…for your typical lousy judgement!

Donovan April 14, 2011 at 3:53 pm

main character should be the priest. it`s more complex than erica the agent who has to have sex with the terrorist in order to catch more viewers …a basic and predictable move..
heart feelings, emotions, hugs are boring .. we want to see the lizards we want to see the war! we don’t wanna see a lonely mom cryin` on an alien tv series!!

Anonymous April 14, 2011 at 3:46 pm

if there is a third season, main character should be the priest because it`s more complex than erica the agent who has to have sex with a terrorist (…) in order to catch more viewers…heart issues , emotions and all that stuff are boring we want to see the war, we want to see the lizards, not just a lonely mom who needs a… you know

Louis Cuschieri April 13, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I’m a great fun of V series, I bought all the old V series and now I am going to buy the new V series, but unfortunately there are only two seasons. It a pity that they stop in the second season. I suggest to continue and show us the third season. Please I beg you ABC Show us the third season because I support all the cast. Thanks and I hope you will grand my wish.

bobby harris April 11, 2011 at 6:02 pm

i think this was the best series yet. and i have been looking the last few tueday nights no V they return has been on since march that it was off air, it bothers me that you had them on then off i think its time to give the cast credit for thier work and the filming please bring back V they return on the air for the rest of this year 2nd season and also 3rd season too i love this show i dont care what the viewers out there say its my favorite show V makes it suspenseful what the Aliens will do to humans, and it has not been on for over a month now please bring them back on tv i mean that seriously i support the cast very much i really do. i am gonna keep watch for you ABC people to bring that back on tv it had better be soon

Joe April 4, 2011 at 7:21 pm

ABC always cancels its good shows. The middle sucks, modern family sucks. Then they have nothing to match the other networks and wonder why their ratings are low.

Fan April 7, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I enjoy the show V and the show Flash Forward. It would be nice if V would stay and that you would continue the show Flash forward, even though a lot of the characters went elsewhere. There have been many shows that I enjoyed on your network, but you do not give them enough air time before you cancel them. You should think of the little people instead of having them all.

ed-d r April 1, 2011 at 6:41 pm

i look forward every tuesday evening to watching this show and like i said anna is very H.O.T.

ed-d r April 1, 2011 at 6:38 pm

v anna hot

MARK KING April 1, 2011 at 6:13 pm

ABC HAD A PRETTY GOOD THING GOING WITH FLASHFORWARD AND THEN BLEW IT WHEN THEY DROPPED THE AX ON IT LEAVING ITS VIEWERS WITH NOTHING! NOW, WITH V HANGING IN THE BALANCE IT SEEMS THAT THE TV EXECS HAVE NO RESPECT FOR THE ONE’S WHO PAY THE BILLS…THE VIEWERS! COME ON ABC, IF YOU HAVE ANY LOYALTY AT ALL, FINISH WHAT YOU START. BEGIN THE STORYLINE, FINISH IT AND MOVE ON TO THE NEXT PROJECT OR FIND YOURSELF BEING TREATED LIKE THE GROOM BEING LEFT AT THE ALTAR…ALL ALONE. HAVE YOU NOTICED LATELY HOW MANY OPTIONS THE VIEWERS HAVE WHEN IT COMES TO CHOICES IN VIEWING? YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER IT!!

Paula March 30, 2011 at 11:21 pm

I live in Australia, i and others i know enjoy this show very, very much!!!! We would really like to look forward to season 3…..The show has great story lines….The show has a sci fi following, and they always seem to take the ones off that keep you on the edge of your seat….and that one hr just flies past, you just cant wait to see what happens next!!!This show for me and others is how we feel after each epsiode!!!
Definitley keep “V” Alive

Wayne March 29, 2011 at 7:35 pm

I’m not of a television wacher, but V caught my attention from the start. Maybe because the original V was a childhood memory, I’ve not missed an episode and am looking forward to the third season.

mike March 28, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I have watched and enjoyed several good shows recently that have crashed after 2 seasons. ABC is most criminal in executing these shows. If this show ends now then I am done with ABC forever!

Frank March 27, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I think ABC should air the repeat of season 1 and season 2 at 9:00 on tuesdays even on the off seasons they would be surprised at how many people will watch it again. I love the show even the older 80’s V, it’s awsome how their bringing back the older characters too. I will right off ABC all together if they don’t bring back season 3. As for the critics, they don’t know a good show if it slaped them in the face. I know of alot of worst shows that are playing, that they keep airing.