The Vampire Diaries, Supernatural and 90210: Renewed for 2012-13 Season

Supernatural TV series renewed.The CW will likely cancel a few TV shows this month but The Vampire Diaries, Supernatural and 90210 are all safe for another year. The network has given the three dramas early renewals for 2012-13.

The news doesn’t come as a big surprise, especially for Vampire Diaries. Currently in its third season, Vampire Diaries is the network’s highest-rated series by far, though it’s down by 7% year-to-year. It’s currently averaging a 1.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 2.83 million total viewers. The season finale airs on May 10th.

Supernatural is currently in its seventh season. Despite running on Friday nights, the Sam and Dean show is still the network’s fifth best-performing series, averaging a 0.7 demo rating with 1.75 million viewers (down by 26% in the demo). The last episode of this season is scheduled for May 18th.

And finally, 90210 is currently in its fourth season and is the sixth-highest rated show on the mini-network. The young adults of Beverly Hills are currently averaging a 0.7 in the demo with 1.37 million. Year-to-year, 90210 is down by 21% in the demo. The final and 24th episode of the season airs on May 15th.

Here’s the press release from The CW:

THE CW ANNOUNCES EARLY PICKUPS FOR “THE VAMPIRE DIARIES,” “SUPERNATURAL” AND “90210″

May 3, 2012 (Burbank, California) – The CW Network has given early pickups to the network’s top-rated show, THE VAMPIRE DIARIES, fan favorite SUPERNATURAL, and the world’s most-famous zip code, 90210, with all three series to return for the 2012-2013 season.

THE VAMPIRE DIARIES will return for a fourth season of bloody good drama this fall, SUPERNATURAL will mark its eighth season with the monster-hunting Winchester brothers on The CW, and on 90210, the gang from West Beverly will return for season five.

Based on the series of books by L. J. Smith, THE VAMPIRE DIARIES is from Bonanza Productions Inc., Outerbanks Entertainment and Alloy Entertainment in association with Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios with executive producers Kevin Williamson (“Scream,” “Dawson’s Creek”), Julie Plec (“Kyle XY,” “Wasteland”), Leslie Morgenstein (“Gossip Girl,” “Private”) and Bob Levy (“Gossip Girl,” “Privileged”).

SUPERNATURAL is from Warner Bros. Television in association with Wonderland Sound and Vision, with executive producers McG (“Charlie’s Angels,” “The O.C.”), Robert Singer (“Midnight Caller”), Jeremy Carver (“Being Human”) and Phil Sgriccia.

90210 is produced by CBS Productions with executive producers Patti Carr (“Life Unexpected,” “Private Practice”) and Lara Olsen (“Life Unexpected,” “Private Practice”).

What do you think? Are you glad to hear that these three shows have been renewed? Which one is your favorite? Do you think that 2012-13 this should be the last season for any of them?

siobhan May 14, 2012 at 8:14 pm

I LOVE VAMPIRE DIARIES AND ITS THE ONLY SHOW I CARED ABOUT BEING RENEWED! BUT I WOULD HAVE LIKED FOR SECRET CIRCLE TO BE RENEWED AS WELL. IF I HAD TO PICK 1 THEN VAMPIRE DIARIES, BUT THEY SHUD BOTH DEFF B BACK NEXT SEASON!

siobhan May 14, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I’m SO GLAD vampire diaries has been renewed!!! Its the only show I wait all week to watch and look forward to watching! But i have also watched secret circle since the 1st episode and am shocked its been cancelled. If I had to choose, deff vampire diaries!! But I would really like to see secret circle back for another season as well. And it sounds like alot of other ppl agree as well…

Nazeli May 13, 2012 at 7:28 pm

I swear if u guys cancel the secret circle, u guys r going to disappoint many viewers! I’m happy that the vampire diaries is continueing, but seriously u must renew the secret circle!!!!!!!!!!

samantha May 8, 2012 at 9:57 am

I REALLY HOPE SECRET CIRCLE IS RENEWED. I’VE BEEN WATCHING THE SHOW SINCE DAY ONE AND WOULD HATE TO HEAR IT WON’T BE BACK. PLEASE DON’T DISAPPOINT YOUR LOYAL VIEWERS!!!!!!!!

samantha May 8, 2012 at 9:50 am

I am a HUGE fan of supernatural! Glad to hear its been renewed. LOVE those Winchester boys!

Janey May 7, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Hopeful more Teddy in Season 5 of 90210, I need a reason to watch that crappy show and network

Angie May 7, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Please don’t cancel Hart of Dixie. It is something new and refreshing. Its a show my friends and I look forward to every week to see what part of the story is next for Zoe and for Bluebell :)

Betty T May 7, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Ringer and Secret Circle both need to be renewed. I’m super happy that my all time favorite, Supernatural, is coming back. Now, if CW will pick up my other 2 favorite shows I will be one very happy camper!

COME ON CW…RENEW RINGER AND SECRET CIRCLE!

Pretty Please???? !!!!!!

dchase May 6, 2012 at 7:38 pm

My husband and I really enjoy this show and never want it to end. the Winchester Bros are awesome. the two actors really have great chemistry, and the show is right up our alley, badass cars, guns and the “supernatural” HA. Love it!!!

Sid May 6, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Ecstatic about 9O21O and SPN, but I really want NIKITA too CW.

Kat May 5, 2012 at 9:19 am

Yay, I really hope Nikita makes it, too. TVD, Supernatural, and Nikita are the three best programs on the station. I hope Ringer makes it, too, but acknowledge its quality level isn’t as high as the others I like.

Alex May 4, 2012 at 3:49 pm

please don’t forget Nikita

MK May 4, 2012 at 11:30 am

Vamp Diaries and Supernatural are two faves of this 40 year old female – glad they’re gonna keep ‘em going!

BG May 4, 2012 at 4:37 am

Please don’t forget about your second rated show, the Secret Circle, please!

Pikachu May 3, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I’m very happy about the renewals of The Vampire Diaries, Supernatural, and 90210.

I’m not a huge fan of The Vampire Diaries, but, to me, I think Damon (Ian Somerhalder) is sooo hot!!! That’s why I’m happy for the show’s 3rd season renewal. Thank you, CW!

My dad is watching Supernatural on Fridays and he’ll be happy to hear about the 8th season renewal.

I bet 90210 will last as long as the original because the show’s been renewed for a 5th season!

Thank you so much for renewing those 3 shows, CW!